Join Early Retirement Today

Total stock market was down 8% last year ...
Old 03-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Total stock market was down 8% last year ...

... at one point.

Some perspective for those rendered senseless by anxiety:
This year the total stock market is down just 1.2% so far. It may go lower; it may go higher.

Maybe I don't remember it right, but I do not recall as much anxiety last year when between May and June stocks dropped quite a bit. Below is a chart. Total Market down 8%, Emerging markets down more than 25%, EAFE down 15%, small caps down 14%, midcap down 12%.

It was a great buying opportunity then. The stock market finished up more than 15% in 2006 despite the May-June performance. While past performance is blah, blah, blah ... what's with the anixiety for a sub-2% drop?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MayJune2006.jpg (50.9 KB, 16 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb MayJune2006.jpg_thumb (21.3 KB, 0 views)
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Total stock market was down 8% last year ...
Old 03-17-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
... at one point.

Some perspective for those rendered senseless by anxiety:
This year the total stock market is down just 1.2% so far. It may go lower; it may go higher.

Maybe I don't remember it rught, but I do not recall as much anxiety last year when between May and June stocks dropped quite a bit. Below is a chart. Total Market down 8%, Emerging markets down more than 25%, EAFE down 15%, small caps down 14%, midcap down 12%.

It was a great buying opportunity then. The stock market finished up more than 15% in 2006 despite the May-June performance. While past performance is blah, blah, blah ... what's with the anixiety for a sub-2% drop?
Oh gee... I don't know about the rest of those here, but I definitely demonstrated a higher level of anxiety last May and June that I have recently. By that, I mean that I actually sold when I shouldn't have and went from 75% stocks to 60% on the way down. I lost a thousand or two. It could have been worse.

After it was over I felt pretty stupid, but I have maintained 60% ever since. That is probably why I haven't done anything stupid this time. Apparently 60% is a level I can handle.

That doesn't mean I'm not disturbed and anxious about what has been happening since the end of February - - just that apparently I was more disturbed last year. Also, the emotions of being disturbed/anxious are just feelings, and don't have to mean that a given individual will actually act on those feelings.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Want2retire,

You were not the only one. Many people were concerned as well.

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...7141#msg147141
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote