Total Years of Work

19 years according to SSA. I am not RE yet and am only 34yrs old though. Been unemployed a few times during that stretch, never longer than four months though.

My career didn't really start until about 8.5yrs ago. And I didn't actually start making a career salary until this year IMHO. Finally six figures after 19 years in the workforce.

If someone told me it would take that long, I might have quit trying. Been dreaming of ER for 8years now ever since I got the first taste of a 401k.

Sure glad I didn't. I believe I only have 14 more years of working fulltime left, so I've passed the half-way point.

If I take out vacation time and holidays it probably comes out to around 36,000 hrs of work over the past 20yrs or so or actually 4.8years of work over that period. What the heck have I been doing with all my time?

Last edited:
Started full time summers when I was 15, and part-time during school for 8 years between those summer full time jobs. Been working as engineer for 29 years now. So depending on calculation methods, anywhere from 29-37 years. SS statements say 37 years of wages. 37 makes it seem longer, no wonder I want to get out!

43 years, not counting part time high school jobs.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

36 yrs at 50-60 hrs/week post college in engineering, 2 engineering internships while in college, 2 yrs flipping burgers in high school.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

26 years of at least 32hours/week - and another 2 with 24 hours/week (had a sweet 3 day/week deal after my older son was born.) The last 10 years were nominally 32 hours/week - but closer to 40 given the nature of engineering and pressure to work longer days, work through lunch, etc.

Add in another 7-8 for part time jobs in high school and college.

I can count 35 years of full-time (or greater) work, another 3 years of part-time, and the usual 4 years of summers working during undergrad school. High school summers spent working for my dad don't count - although it was generally harder work, and less well compensated, than the others.

Sadly, I only have 13 quarters toward SS (the school jobs were considered "honoraria" and were not subject to SS deductions).

Last edited:
12 years for various mega and mini corps
6 years in grad school (making ~20k/year stipend)
2 years in coop/internships during undergrad (full time work not concurrent with school)

Not sure about wife. She had several years as a nanny, then went to undergrad, then maybe 20 years.

PhD. until age 24.

Wow that's very impressive. Most people I know who went straight through didn't finish until close to 30

Full time - just over 16 years now. Carried summer jobs starting at 16 and worked part time through two years of college starting when I was 20.

But if you think about it, we all go to school 8 hours a day (and against our will for the most part) starting at 6, all so we can be productive members of society and ultimately get jobs. So, if you ask me, we've all been full time since age six!

Wow this was an eye opener. I had my first paying job after school starting at 15, and except for a few months off after the birth of my kids, I've always worked, and still can't seem to stop even tho I gave my notice at end of December. I'm on the one more month roller coaster now. I just turned 61, so that's 46 years. Work your fingers to the bone, what do you get? Boney fingers..

Had paying summer jobs from ages 15-20. Started full time at Megacorp at 21, 36.5 years now.

27 years after college, 4 years part time during college. No RE yet.

33 years full time for me plus 5 years of part time in HS and College. Plan to retire in 2016

Wonder if any people who did stints as SAHMs/SAHD's, included those years in their totals.

I worked from time I could push a lawnmower and do yard work as kid.

Been paying Social Security every year since I turned 16.

Started working the oilfield at age 18 and have been ever since....I'm 56 now and God willing will retire in 4 years at age 60.

First FICA wages $31 1975. 34 full time work years starting in 1982. I OMM syndrome so may hit 35 years. Just not sure why.

First Full Time Job at 15 (believe I had a piece of paper that said I was older in order to get the job). SS documented as FICA wages paid at age 15 - I had quit school at 15. Switched jobs at 17 and worked that one until I was 38 and retired from that one and went part-time doing most any accounting related job I could find until 65 then really retired. SS says I had 50 years when wages were earned.

Last edited:
27 years full time, 4 years working summers in a steel mill during college. Brutally hot and uncomfortable. Maybe the office job isn't so bad after all. Though my constant complaining the last 5 years has led DW to believe otherwise

A memory test!!

Student jobs from age 11 delivering papers on a bicycle to retail, janitorial, lawns until graduate at age 21, guess 10 years.

Career in engineering age 21 to 51 so 30 years.

Retire jobs, mostly seasonal doing income taxes for past 15 years. Still call myself semi-retired...it is the easiest explanation for inquiring (nosy) minds since most folks were puzzled like how are you retired with school kids?

Full time, after college only: 38 years each for DH and myself=total 76. Retiring this year, finally!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom