Total Years of Work

If, as planned, I retire when I'm 62 I'll have worked 44 years.

I want out.

Does an 80 hour work week count the same as a 40?:)

From 18 till 55 - 37 years, age 33 through 49 I had a lot of overtime due to constant emergency call in at night and weekends, about 55 - 60 hours per week (HVAC tech).
DW is still working from age 16 part time and from 18 full time. From age 31 till now she puts on average 65-70 hours per week (associate director in accounting).

11 years part-time (summer and part-time jobs during HS, college and law school); 1 yr full time++ in between college and grad school; 22 yrs after that full time ..

So 100% full time 23 yrs; 34 if you count part-time. All are W-2 years for SS

Still doing a v small amount of paid consulting, so perhaps it still counts as part-time for 16 as well -- though I plan to put a stop to it by summer.

76 years between DH and myself. This includes our high school jobs also. I gave up working at 50, DH was 57.

I first paid social security in 1975 and have paid every year since. Full time job has been 32 years and counting (8 years after undergrad, 3 yrs of summer only employment during law school, and 24 years since). The young wife has worked full time for about 28 years, since grad school. I think we have about 3 more years to go.

Started selling greeting cards door-to-door as a little kid to earn enough to buy a bike. Then paper route until I could get a W-2 job in high school. Probably will end up with 50 or so years worked.

14 years of full time work after far too many years in grad school. Retired 2013.

Summer jobs from 13 to 21 1/2 and full time from then until 56. So 35 full and 8 part time.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

As you can see, us engenieers can't sprell (or type) very weel!
My grammar is quite good, which probably explains why I graduated with an electronics degree and promptly embarked on a career as a DJ! (I realized partway through my course that I wasn't cut out to be an engineer).

First W-2 wages in 1976. So 40 years. Graduated college in 1986 so about 30 years in my profession - accounting. Very much getting to think that's about enough. It's been a good ride. Time for a different life while there's still time (hopefully) to enjoy it.

Joined the Army in July, 1983 at age 18 and took off the Army uniform in June, 2013, 30 years later at age 48. DW and I have been enjoying retirement ever since, despite the consternation of our friends who insist that I will "have" to go back to work someday soon ("don't you get bored, what do you do all day, how can you pay for this or surely you are going to run out of money soon?!"). I just smile and do the happy dance inside my head. :dance:

DW was the stay-at-home commander in chief of our household throughout our time in the military, so she retired as a military spouse the same day that I retired.

PhD. until age 24. Started paid work at 25 and clocked out at age 52....so that makes 27 years of salaried toil.

For me, ~40 years full time. Before that, maybe 5 years part time (20 to 30 hours a week). (always had a job since I was about 15 until I retired.)

Full time as engineer since August 17, 1981. 35 years and a couple weeks as of September 1 when I plan to fire.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

First SS wages in 1974 at age 15. Ten years of part-time while in school, and then 32 years full-time after that. Last year of SS wages..... 2016!

Does an 80 hour work week count the same as a 40?:)
I sure hope so. Otherwise the math would be too hard! I had a few 18x10 weeks in the formative (read naive) years! But it did make me appreciate time spent with family and friends later. In one job, I assumed the roles of 5 people for one year!

Back
Top Bottom