Join Early Retirement Today

Total Years of Work
Old 01-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Total Years of Work

A friend of mine just retired after 37 years of work. Between my wife and I we have worked 45 years and are just about there. Thought this might be an interesting topic if you care to share.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

First full time job at 23. Went part time at 55. Retired fully at 57.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Kinda depends on definition. I was in grad school for 7 years getting a PhD. University paid me, but my SS wages were zero. Does that count?
Old 01-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A total of 67 years of work for both of us until we quit.

However, I worked so much harder than the average Joe in some years, and those should be given a weight of 1.5x or something.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #5

I have worked 40 years - or 41 if I include the <100 hrs I worked in 2015.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:18 AM   #6

I was working almost full time as a junior in HS. Mostly worked at least two jobs my entire career, although some of it was working at my own business (tavern, rentals, lawncare, snowplowing, etc.)

When I was in the service, I was a server at a couple different restaurants. Worked as a bartender through college and after I first started working.

Counting 2016, I will have 41 years on file with Social Security since 1976. I graduated from HS in 1977. I am 56, so that is working since 16 or so. As I recall, I started working right after I turned 16, which was a state law minimum age.

And when someone says they cannot find work, I laugh...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

33 years, not counting summer jobs while in university (3 more years). However, many of my years of full time work had dreadful working hours, which I documented. One year, I worked over 3500 hours. That's equivalent to two full time jobs. So I probably worked full time for about 50 years!
Old 01-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #8

I had various part-time and summer jobs while in high school and college. But after I graduated college at age 22, I worked full-time for 16 years (age 38) then part-time for 7 more years (age 45) before retiring 7 years ago at age 45. So that's 23 years working FT or PT after college.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Kinda depends on definition. I was in grad school for 7 years getting a PhD. University paid me, but my SS wages were zero. Does that count?

Sounds like work to me!😄
Old 01-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I enjoyed most of my jobs so much they hardly seemed like w*rk to me. But I was always anxious to get away from living on someone else's schedule so that's what ER was all about.

That said, 33 years of full-time, year-round jobs. I don't count the youthful summer and part-time jobs or the consulting gigs I did later on my own schedule.

DW is more traditional, and spent 42 years in full-time, year-round jobs. She didn't mind the w*rk, and she loved her co-w*rkers and the social aspects of it so ER didn't appeal to her.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #11

Does teaching calculus recitations as an undergraduate, grading exams or tutoring in the engineering department count?

If not, I just had my 29th anniversary in the (same) business last week.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #12

Not counting anything between age 13 and 18.

20 years 9 months
Old 01-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Started regular work the summer of my 12th year - in the tobacco fields of south Georgia. When summer ended, started regular part-time at a service station for 6 years. Worked regular part-time during college. Have worked for the same company post-college for 35 years. Planning to hang it up in April at 58, so 46 years working. The first job where I made at least minimum wage was upon graduating college. Glad my parents taught me how to work and save. They both died young - neither close to retirement age. Sure hope I buck that trend.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

15 years, but it felt like 30. 😎

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #15

Since early high school, about 45 years.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Full time - post university employment for mea means this is year 32. Bought a house, got married (wife worked until kid was born). Expect to retire between year 35 and year 39 depending on college costs.....
Old 01-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Had a paper route and assorted other work at the age of 12, or so. Quit all paid work at the age of 38, so 26 years.

If we're only talking about full-time employment my first "real" gig started after college at the age of 22, so 16 years of full-time work . . . and so far nearly six years of full-time goofing off.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

This is interesting.... went to SS stmt to look...

32 years after graduating college with decent pay...

10 years during middle school, HS and college with almost no pay to low pay...

That is all SS shows...

But, add probably 10 years when I was slave labor to my dad and you have 52 years.... and I am only 58!!!

And yes, it was work for my dad... doing work in what ever business he had at the time where either he did not have to do it or pay someone else to do it... some was really hard work and for a number of years working with poisons that have since been banned as too toxic....

Looking at my SS stmt I noticed I never was paid 'in the $50s'.... IOW, there are no salaries that are in the $50K range... one year was $49.9 K and the next $62K.... worked for one company that went under and was bought by another... interviewed for various jobs and got one paying higher...
Old 01-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

My SS earnings record say I earned money for doing stuff others wanted done for 43 years - ouch! Trimming away the part-time stuff before I started my first "real" job and some delayed payouts after ER I had 38 years 7 months... and 11 days, but not like I was counting or anything.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #20

39, however there were three of four years during that time when I was not working. Semi-retired. Also some would consider the first 20 of flying airplanes not working

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote