Tough ER Enivronment?

There are always dueling articles on the bull case versus the bear case. It's generally just noise and nobody has shown a good record of actually calling the market tops and bottoms.

If you go by the Fed, the stock market should me much, much higher at current interest rates. People know that the low interest rates will eventually go up but the question is "when?" With this concern, there is enough concern to not run stock prices up too far above where people think interest rates may go.

The secret to retirement survivability is to be able to adjust. Have enough fixed income to let you weather any rational storm in equities. Don't have maturities so far in the future that you can't take advantage of rising rates. Finally, have a plan to reduce expenses.

I'm a chronic OMY-er. This is my last year. Yeah! I really, really mean it this time.

+1

Exactly. With long term view you should ignore both bull and bear market predictions and stick with your AA.

I feel the same way, NW. :)

Just curious, is there a "special" way to fund a child's Roth or a grandchild's 529 directly yourself? IOW, can you open either account yourself in their names? Or are you just planning on taking withdrawals from your stash and giving the $$$ to your children with instructions to add to their Roth, for example?

Thanks!

My dad funded 529's for my boys. $10k each. He owned the accounts, but they were listed as the recipients. I was listed as the benificiary from an inheritance POV. So when he died, I inherited them and started funding them aggressively. But it was a nice kick start to my son's college funds.

He needed their social security numbers, and mine (as benificiary) to set it up.

Not sure about the Roth's. (He was generous - but missed that opportunity. LOL!)

My dad funded 529's for my boys. $10k each. He owned the accounts, but they were listed as the recipients...

Not sure about the Roth's. (He was generous - but missed that opportunity. LOL!)

529 accounts and the Coverdell accounts (formerly called Educational IRA) that I have for my children are that way.

Roth accounts are in the name of the (future) retiree. However, the account applicant can always allow someone else to also have access to it via a Power of Attorney form.

529 accounts and the Coverdell accounts (formerly called Educational IRA) that I have for my children are that way.

Roth accounts are in the name of the (future) retiree. However, the account applicant can always allow someone else to also have access to it via a Power of Attorney form.

Thanks, rodi and NW-Bound! I'll look into the 529's for my grandson (and granddaughter on the way!). I had one for my son.

Back
Top Bottom