Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #61
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Good to hear from you Martha!

That was a great post that I can personally relate to. Up until age 40 I ate an enormous amount and my weight was always constant at ~175lb. I had a series of injuries during my 30's, and at 40 I had stopped all my physical activities - soccer referee, soccer player, tennis. Over the next 7 years I put on 35lb before finally deciding I need to get back to a healthy weight. I lost 40lb between age 47 and 48 and have pretty well manged to maintain a weight range 172 - 180 over the last 7 years.

However, I now exercise a lot more than I ever did, but also consume far fewer calories than I ever did. It is now a constant effort to stay at my historical weight of ~175lbs.

Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Heredity is a definite factor, as "heavy" parents often have heavy kids (casual, not scientific, observation), though diet likely plays a role, since if the family's diet is causing overweight parents, it's likely to not be so good for the children either. Also, if the parents aren't very active, this may be emulated by the offspring...

The activity levels of modern humans, as well as the relative abundance of "highly-rewarding foodstuffs", seems like an equation for population weight gain. Studies seem to suggest that exercise does not fully compensate for being tethered to a chair/computer/cube all day.

One more reason to FIRE!

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This sounds like one of Freebird's softball setups.
Who...meeeeeeee ?

Hi Martha Good to hear from you.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Who...meeeeeeee ?

Hi Martha Good to hear from you.
Ditto. Hi Martha.

Anyone catch the PBS tv program a few years back showing the Pima Indians in Mexico living perhaps 'old style' and visiting their American relatives in the US. Emphasis being on the remarkable difference in weight. Mickey D diet in the USA was not mentioned favorably.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Right - I get color graphs (Berkeley Heart Lab) showing molecule size distribution and other tests only a few of which I understand their explanation.

Back in 2009, 6' 0" 195 lbs, 38 inch waist, 400 total chloesterol my Doc understood having lived in Metaire for a while. My New Orleans diet(think fried everything) went out the window.

33 waist, 168 lbs and I would die for chili cheese fries and a Seafood platter.

heh heh heh - I do sneak in some KC style pulled pork -light on the BBQ sauce once in a while.
When I worked with cardiologists, I would go the the different cardiology conferences and inevitably they were in New Orleans at one time or another - one cardiologist mentioned that their hyperlipidemia jumped 100 points when they went to the conference for that week ;-)
Deserat aka Bridget
“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” - George Orwell/Winston Churchill
deserat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...
New Orleans BBQ'd shrimp. The main indegredients of the sauce - butter and beer.

heh heh - oven baked. Yep butter and beer. One of my old favorites. Pascal Manales of course. .

P.S. Two yellows on my cholesterol. Outta the red zone but my LDL and HDL could stand further improvement. Still hungry.

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote