Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tough love: Cult or ER forum?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tough love: Cult or ER forum?

An article about peer pressure is really needed to get folks to lose weight and other activities: A Team Approach to Weight Loss - NYTimes.com

I think you know the drill. You cannot have friends help you with all this, you need to have folks who can dish out tough love and disapproving comments when you stray. Friends who support you when you do something ill-advised are not helpful. I think it's similar to what this forum does. Note the comments about how the leader of a group can set the dynamic.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

But I've never seen any tough love or disapproving comments in any of the weight threads.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
But I've never seen any tough love or disapproving comments in any of the weight threads.
Fatty, fatty, two-by-four...

Yeah, me neither...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Ok, everyone put down the fork, willya ?

Just kidding.

I have my own weight maintenance struggles going on to ever think about being that mean. My ex-MIL drove a daughter to bulimia with that kind of nonsense.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ok, everyone put down the fork, willya ?

Just kidding.

I have my own weight maintenance struggles going on to ever think about being that mean. My ex-MIL drove a daughter to bulimia with that kind of nonsense.
The only time I ever spoke up to a friend about his behavior was when he was giving me some really nice clothes, including a shearling jacket that is strictly Marlboro country stuff.

He had been struggling with his wife, and I was afraid he might have been contemplating suicide. Turns out he was only planning to move to San Francisco and live with his girlfriend. He didn't want to tell me why he would no longer need warm a warm coat, as his wife and my wife taught aerobics together and were pretty good friends.

Never can tell what is going on, can you?
Old 11-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Yeah, me neither...
Couldn't get through the bathroom door
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
So she did it on the floor.

Cruelty? Children are good at it.

Looking back, the very few fatties of our childhoods would be considered svelte compared to today's kids.

Ha
Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
and wiped it up and did some more.

High class forum, huh?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, as a person who has joined every imaginable weight loss group imaginable (with the resultant weight gain every time), I was quite intrigued by this article.

Weight Watchers and Overeaters Anon. don't work for me - I don't do well in groups and being told what to do, or not do, just brings out the rebel in me. I also find that most of those groups just became hand-holding, recipe-trading, kumbaya-type sessions and it got old really fast.

The concept of competitive teams, on the other hand, is a great idea! What they don't say in the article is what happens when the competition ends. I guess, in theory, you feel so great about yourself that you don't regain the weight. In reality, though, I suspect most people would use the money to buy donuts.

IMHO

Nui
Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Yeah, me neither...
Quote:
Quote:

Ha
Well I knew it. Sooner or later this would get ugly.
Frankly, I just hope no one ends up losing an eye..

Old 11-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well I knew it. Sooner or later this would get ugly.
Frankly, I just hope no one ends up losing an eye..

Hey, no running with scissors.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
The concept of competitive teams, on the other hand, is a great idea! What they don't say in the article is what happens when the competition ends. I guess, in theory, you feel so great about yourself that you don't regain the weight. In reality, though, I suspect most people would use the money to buy donuts.

IMHO

Nui
When WW came to work I signed up, along with about 30 others, and paid my work subsidized fee of $50 for the 8 week session. One of the ladies asked who'd be prepared to go in for a competition, with teams of 4 randomly selected in a draw, $10 each, winner takes all with the team having the overall best % weight loss taking the pot. 24 of us signed up and the added pressure definitely helped as we looked at the league table each week. (All this was unofficial and under the table of course - I don't think WW or work management really wanted gambling going on.)

Our team won, so that first 8 meetings cost nothing, then the following 8-week session I made my goal and maintained it, making all future sessions free provided I stayed below my target.

Having money on the table to play for definitely helped motivate me.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Hey, no running with scissors.
Yeah, considering the floor is now slippery..
Old 11-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
Administrator

Having read the article I can see how the tough love approach can work. One of the most successful programs in improving safety in the workplace is called Behavior Based Safety, which has people randomly and formally studying how a fellow worker does his job. (This is in addition to the audits and checks done by the safety departments).
Old 11-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...Looking back, the very few fatties of our childhoods would be considered svelte compared to today's kids.

Ha
I remain ASTOUNDED at the epidemic of obesity of young children and young adults I see in public these days. It's not funny anymore, people.

I myself was larger in size than my female peers as a kid, but it was more a product of playing sports and doing physical w*rk than a sedentary lifestyle and overeating.

Extra pounds is one thing...but extra pounds plus no muscle tone at all ?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Our team won, so that first 8 meetings cost nothing, then the following 8-week session I made my goal and maintained it, making all future sessions free provided I stayed below my target.

Having money on the table to play for definitely helped motivate me.
Way to go!

WW should seriously consider this as an option. At one OA meeting I attended, there was a competition for exercise minutes. I was swimming about 2 miles a day at that point, so I figured it was a slam-dunk. But I got so bored with the meetings (which were mostly about knitting) that I quit.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
But I got so bored with the meetings (which were mostly about knitting) that I quit.
So would I

One good thing about the WW at our workplace was that there were a few guys who signed up each time, which I guess also added a different dimension to the group dynamics. I've never been to any weight loss group sessions other than those at work so I have no idea of the normal demographics.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I remain ASTOUNDED at the epidemic of obesity of young children and young adults I see in public these days. It's not funny anymore, people.
Extra pounds is one thing...but extra pounds plus no muscle tone at all ?
I have helped to run a dance company for 25 years and I can tell you that I am appalled at what has been happening over the past decade. It used to be that we'd get one or two chubby kids a year. Now, we marvel if a skinny one walks in. I've seen kids so fat that they could not balance if they tried to put one foot out in front of them.

Parents will sit and watch the kids dance and rush to feed them high-cal drinks, fruit strips, candy, chips, and just plain garbage every time the instructor takes a breath.

Teenagers all come with a little tummy pouch now - don't know if it's from junk food or birth control pills. Or it could be because most of them are hunchbacked from leaning over their phones, computers and playstations.

I'm a fat adult - and it's my fault and no one else is to blame. Fat kids under the age of 6 are the parents' fault and something needs to be done about it.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I don't think that kids these days have the opportunity for as much physical activity at school as we did, through recess or mandatory physical education classes. Some can play outside after school, true, but not all. I agree - - it's so sad seeing these kids with no muscles at all and so sedentary.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Part of the problem, as well, is that parents have bought into the wholesale paranoia that their kids will be abducted and murdered if they dare let them out of their sight. Consequently, they keep the kids indoors, with the TV as a nanny.

I think there's also a push for parents to entertain their kids on a never-ending basis or they will be viewed as bad parents. I've known kids who take 4 and 5 types of dance, piano lessons, voice lessons and language lessons. They generally burn out about age 16 and the parents can't figure out why.

Kids will be kids. And if you don't let them be kids at a young age, they will not become stable, mature young adults.

I feel sorry for the kids who never learn how to play unless mommy is nearby, choreographing the game.