Join Early Retirement Today

Track spending on a mac
Old 01-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Track spending on a mac

Hi all - I know this has been discussed before but was hoping someone had a good update.

I can manually track spending but it is a hassle - not horrible - but would love something to make it easier. I know Quicken isn't great for Mac based on the reviews here.

I have tried Mint - thought it was ok but not better than manually doing it myself. Anyone aware of any new app or software that is mac friendly?

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just use Microsoft Office for Mac and track what I need in Excel.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 01-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Take a look at Moneydance.
It runs on any kind of computer and has a trial version so you can use it for a bit before you commit to buying it.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Moneydance is a good one.

I've been using iBank. The iBank 5 software is pretty good. I'm tracking banking, investments, and credit cards with it. It did the best job of importing almost 20 years of old Quicken data of any of the programs I tried.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Using Quicken 2014 for windows on a Mac with the help of Crossover software by Codeweavers.

I needed a little help to set it up and they were responsive and helpful.

Haven't needed any tech support since.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 01-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

Have 25 years of Q data, went to Mac about 8 years ago. Didn't want to lose legacy data so stayed with it. No, PC Q data is not transferable to Mac Q despite claims, at least wouldn't for me despite many hours research and attempts. So I run Q on Windows w VM Fusion. Works fine but as I keep it running it hogs resources, and invariable every few years have to update either Windows or VM Fusion. Probably cheaper to just buy a PC and run it on that given update costs, but this works.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Just curious, but a lot of people have said they [grumble, grumble] stay with Quicken because they are unwilling to lose many years of legacy data.

When I gained my freedom by switching away from Quicken, I dumped everything into Excel. It's not very often that I want to search that old data, but when I do, it's pretty easy to use Excel's tools to do so. I don't feel that I'm missing anything.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quicken 2007 is just fine (if you can still get it). They keep it updated.

It's actually great for expense tracking, downloading transactions, etc.

But I don't know what the longevity of the software is. I shudder that it will come to an end all too soon and then I'll be fairly stuck. I know Intuit wants to sell the software to another company, but I doubt it will be that easy.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #9

I dumped Quicken 2007 when I kept having problems downloading data from various credit cards and didn't want to enter data manually. Moneydance has worked fine for me.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:19 AM   #10

I've been using Moneydance for a few years now and it's worked well. I tried to import my Quicken data, but realized it would be too much work, so I started from scratch (except for investments, since I wanted to track cost basis).

If I ever need access to my old Quicken or MS Money data, then I have my old data file that I can load. I've only done this a couple
of times over the last decade, which tells me that I really don't need to track past data in a lot of detail. For budgeting purposes, I dump the year end expense categories into a spreadsheet and take a snapshot of account balances. That's about all the data that I need from the past.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I run Quicken for Windows on my Mac using Parallels. Works great.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #12

I just installed Quicken 2016 Mac about 30 minutes ago. The accounts downloaded without issue and everything seems to be fine. I've been a Quicken Windows user for 20 years, but I wouldn't say I was a power user. I manually entered all of my transaction - just force of habit from before we had internet access. And I don't use Quicken to pay my bills, just to record the payments after I've made them.

I do use it for extensive reporting though, so I'll be playing with the report features. If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask. But so far, overall I've been pleased with what I see.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been a Mac user for a long time. I currently use Quicken (2014?) to track my spending. I use it primarily for tracking my actuals and reviewing my budget v. actual spend. I have my investments in there as well, but I like using Personal Capital for my investment summary and analysis. It works good. I don't plan on updating to the latest version until they stop supporting the current.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

After using Quicken for 10 years, I have decided to find a better alternative for 2016 hence. I am giving iBank a try and so far I like it. I did not bother to import my Quicken data, I went for a fresh start. Set up was pretty easy and so far it seems to work pretty well to track spending and set up a budget.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

try this https://scimonocesoftware.com/seefinance/

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #16

After using Quicken 2016 Mac for two days, I'm not very happy with it. I can't download my Pen Fed IRA or my Ascensus 401K. Wait time for phone or chat support is 25 minutes. And the reporting capabilities of the Mac version are so basic they might as well not even exist.

Since I paid almost nothing for it I don't really care, but I was hoping to finally get rid of Parallels and Windows 8 running on my Mac just to maintain Quicken for Windows. Pretty disappointing.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #17

Quicken 2007 still works pretty well, for now, even if the interface is dated. I use Fusion to run a few Windows apps, including Quicken 2015, but I'm probably done buying it unless they get the Mac version closer in features when this one goes unsupported in 2018...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:30 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used CheckBook for years. Very intuitive to use and has category reporting. Has import function if you can figure out how to get your legacy exported.

splash.com
Old 01-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
After using Quicken 2016 Mac for two days, I'm not very happy with it. I can't download my Pen Fed IRA or my Ascensus 401K. Wait time for phone or chat support is 25 minutes. And the reporting capabilities of the Mac version are so basic they might as well not even exist.

Since I paid almost nothing for it I don't really care, but I was hoping to finally get rid of Parallels and Windows 8 running on my Mac just to maintain Quicken for Windows. Pretty disappointing.
How much trouble is Parallels? I've never used it. That is, after the initial install do you have to separately launch Parallels each time (other than clicking on the Quicken button?)
Old 01-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
How much trouble is Parallels? I've never used it. That is, after the initial install do you have to separately launch Parallels each time (other than clicking on the Quicken button?)
I've used Parallels on my Mac for pretty much the sole purpose of running Quicken for 5+ years now. It works great, and the "Coherence" feature allows Windows applications to function and appear seamlessly with other running Mac applications. Parallels runs in the background, allowing you to simply launch Quicken with, as you say, a click on the Quicken button.