Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Trading American Fund Mutual Funds within Fidelity
Old 09-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mid Town
Posts: 45
Trading American Fund Mutual Funds within Fidelity

Trying to figure out what it will cost to exchange mutual funds within the American Funds or go to cash or both.

Has anyone done this.

Thanks
__________________

augam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,892
I have American in my 401K and it should cost you nothing except tax consequences, if in a taxable account.
__________________

COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mid Town
Posts: 45
These mutual funds are in rollover IRA’s. Nearing retirement and would like to go to cash or transfer within American Funds into “less” aggressive position for time being.
augam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,093
The fee would depend on the custodian of your rollover IRA. Better check with them.

Years ago, I bought a MF for an account with Schwab. The transaction fee for trading stocks was expensive then, but only $12.9 or something. The MF transaction was a lot higher, like $50 or something. I was shocked, assuming it was the same as for stocks. Not making the same mistake again. I could have bought that MF in an account with another brokerage.

In your case, you already have money with them. So, check with them.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mid Town
Posts: 45
These were 401k’s from former employer plans back in the day some 20+ years ago. How would I go about finding out who the custodian would be.

Thanks
augam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,093
Nowaways, employers use an outside financial service company to handle 401k. My wife's megacorp currently uses Wells Fargo. Another megacorp of mine uses Fidelity.

You should have received periodic mailings from the 401k custodian, or you go on their Web site to know about your 401k balance and its holding.

If it is something like a company-sponsored custodian like my wife's 401k, then there is usually no transaction fee.

I thought you were talking about a detached custodian when you rollover the IRA, such as Schwab, or TD-Ameritrade, etc...
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
MRG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by augam View Post
Trying to figure out what it will cost to exchange mutual funds within the American Funds or go to cash or both.

Has anyone done this.

Thanks
Yeah, you should be able to do that. Fidelity can tell you for sure and the costs. I'd recommend you research some of Fidelity's cheaper index funds that will perform, arguably, as well and save ~.45 on your fees.

Unless you're in love with American Funds there's no good reason to stay there. Far better, safer, cheaper, places to invest. AFS had their day, it happened in the spring of 1988.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mid Town
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The fee would depend on the custodian of your rollover IRA. Better check with them.

Years ago, I bought a MF for an account with Schwab. The transaction fee for trading stocks was expensive then, but only $12.9 or something. The MF transaction was a lot higher, like $50 or something. I was shocked, assuming it was the same as for stocks. Not making the same mistake again. I could have bought that MF in an account with another brokerage.

In your case, you already have money with them. So, check with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Nowaways, employers use an outside financial service company to handle 401k. My wife's megacorp currently uses Wells Fargo. Another megacorp of mine uses Fidelity.

You should have received periodic mailings from the 401k custodian, or you go on their Web site to know about your 401k balance and its holding.

If it is something like a company-sponsored custodian like my wife's 401k, then there is usually no transaction fee.

I thought you were talking about a detached custodian when you rollover the IRA, such as Schwab, or TD-Ameritrade, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Yeah, you should be able to do that. Fidelity can tell you for sure and the costs. I'd recommend you research some of Fidelity's cheaper index funds that will perform, arguably, as well and save ~.45 on your fees.

Unless you're in love with American Funds there's no good reason to stay there. Far better, safer, cheaper, places to invest. AFS had their day, it happened in the spring of 1988.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Agreed regarding better investment opportunity hence the reason for my thoughts and Q's regarding the transaction fees.
augam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,093
Ah, I missed the headline of your thread. I often commit this error when reading too fast.

You said "MF within Fidelity", so of course Fidelity is your custodian. Sorry for the confusion.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Here is a description of Fidelity fees
https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...ual-funds/fees
American funds don’t look like they are part of the No transaction fee program.

I think the transaction fees are usually applied on the purchase of the fund but not on the sale. If there is a fee it would likely be 49.95.
onabreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mid Town
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by onabreak View Post
Here is a description of Fidelity fees
https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...ual-funds/fees
American funds don’t look like they are part of the No transaction fee program.

I think the transaction fees are usually applied on the purchase of the fund but not on the sale. If there is a fee it would likely be 49.95.
Yes I saw that earlier when searching their fees on the site. It appears to be for purchases however.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fidelity_fees.JPG (46.6 KB, 21 views)
augam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mid Town
Posts: 45
Called Fidelity today and verified fees - none. 100% cash position in these IRA's.

Now comes the fun part
augam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
Qs Laptop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by augam View Post
Trying to figure out what it will cost to exchange mutual funds within the American Funds or go to cash or both.

Has anyone done this.

Thanks
I moved from Edward Jones to Fidelity about 18 months ago. Most of my holdings at EJ were American Funds.

There will be a fee to exchange one American Fund security for a different AF fund. Fee comes on the buy side of the transaction. With very few exceptions Fidelity funds are superior to American Funds. If you enter the ticker of the AF fund in the search box it will bring up the data for that fund but also list suggested similar Fidelity funds.

Going from an AF fund to a Fidelity fund should not incur fees. Once you are in Fidelity funds you can exchange within the fund family with no fees.

Be aware you will likely have capital gains when you sell your AF funds.
__________________
"If James Bond was an Amish spy, he would drink buttermilk. Shaken, not churned."
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:55 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mid Town
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
I moved from Edward Jones to Fidelity about 18 months ago. Most of my holdings at EJ were American Funds.

There will be a fee to exchange one American Fund security for a different AF fund. Fee comes on the buy side of the transaction. With very few exceptions Fidelity funds are superior to American Funds. If you enter the ticker of the AF fund in the search box it will bring up the data for that fund but also list suggested similar Fidelity funds.

Going from an AF fund to a Fidelity fund should not incur fees. Once you are in Fidelity funds you can exchange within the fund family with no fees.

Be aware you will likely have capital gains when you sell your AF funds.
This is the way it was explained to me regarding the tax ramifications.

"Transactions that are made within an individual retirement account (IRA) are not taxable. Stocks, funds and other securities can be purchased and sold within an IRA account without triggering any consequences. Potential tax consequences are only triggered when money is withdrawn from an IRA account altogether."
augam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by augam View Post
This is the way it was explained to me regarding the tax ramifications.

"Transactions that are made within an individual retirement account (IRA) are not taxable. Stocks, funds and other securities can be purchased and sold within an IRA account without triggering any consequences. Potential tax consequences are only triggered when money is withdrawn from an IRA account altogether."
That is correct, Qs likely missed your reply indicating it was IRA.

As far as the exchange, you should consider if it's something you really want to do. American Funds, though they carry somewhat higher expenses, have generally performed extremely well over the long term. I don't and have never owned any of their funds, but I have come across others who have been very happy with them.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
Qs Laptop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
That is correct, Qs likely missed your reply indicating it was IRA.
I did miss that. It was in a subsequent post to the OP.



Quote:
As far as the exchange, you should consider if it's something you really want to do. American Funds, though they carry somewhat higher expenses, have generally performed extremely well over the long term. I don't and have never owned any of their funds, but I have come across others who have been very happy with them.
I've found AF to be decent but Fidelity's are better.
__________________

__________________
"If James Bond was an Amish spy, he would drink buttermilk. Shaken, not churned."
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saint James Trading / Private Platform Trading pletal FIRE and Money 8 04-15-2019 05:24 AM
Trading Mutual Funds Sandy & Shirley Stock Picking and Market Strategy 34 09-16-2017 12:22 AM
Actively trading mutual funds Sandy & Shirley Stock Picking and Market Strategy 15 02-01-2017 12:06 PM
Keep 403(b) in American Funds, or move to Fidelity? lhamo FIRE and Money 5 02-17-2008 07:54 PM
funds within funds and expense ratios? igsoy FIRE and Money 6 08-25-2007 09:56 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:15 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.