Join Early Retirement Today
Traditional after-tax IRA -> Roth IRA conversion easy?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Traditional after-tax IRA -> Roth IRA conversion easy?

I am sure it was asked before, but I am still not 100% clear on this.
I watched Suzi Orman today and she said it again (paraphrasing): "Contribute into traditional IRA and then convert it to Roth IRA".

So wondering again, is this that easy? Do I have a limit to contribute to traditional IRA? Does it depend on income? Are taxes involved if I have deferred IRA?

Have you done this? Please share your personal experiences.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
(Albert Einstein)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
You can contribute to a traditional IRA regardless of income. However there are deductibility limits based on income. Converting to a Roth is complicated if you have other IRA accounts like Rollover IRAs or Simple IRAs. So to answer your question, no, it's not always simple.

Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There are contribution limits to TIRA........depends on age/income.
Deductibility depends on income, whether you/spouse are covered by retirement plan at work. Report non-deductible contributions (basis) and Roth conversions on Form 8606 when you file taxes. The form and instructions will guide you step by step through the process.
More detailed info here:
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
Yes, I have done it. This is done when your income limits prohibit you from funding a ROTH IRA directly. You open a non-deductible IRA (you don't need to to explain to anyone or fill out any forms that it's non deductible). You fund it to the irs limits ($5500 this year before any catch up contributions for you older folk). Then you either convert it to a roth, or roll it into an existing roth. If you have existing deductible IRAs, these need to be either converted at the same time (not great if you are in a high tax bracket) or roll them into an existing 401k. If you don't, you owe additional $$s on the conversion. There is a form at tax time that needs to be filled out as well.

Check out this link:

Backdoor Roth: A Complete How-To
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote