Join Early Retirement Today

transfer?
Old 12-06-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

transfer?

hello I've been with Edward jones for almost a year and now am pretty confident i'm moving all my money into Vanguard. Will take a real close look at what this cost me the last year. My question is: i do like the personal sevice I get from my person(I know at a cost). What I wanted was someone to look at my whole package and lay out a game plan and tell me if it was feasible for my Wife to retire or not and when could I. Now with that done I know i'm paying way to much in fees and charges and want to get the most out of my money. what i want from Vanguard is some professional advice and game plan to show me where to put my money to supplement my income for what i need, etc. Do they do this and for what cost and how much money do you have to have for them to deal with me? I 'll have more time to dig into this and take better control of my money after the first of the year. Thanks for any input and advice. Randy

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, Randy.

Using the search function and "vanguard advisor", you will find several threads on this subject. Here are a couple:
Anyone used Vanguard's Personal Advisor Services?
Any good experiences dealing with Vanguard Flagship Services

The consensus is pretty positive.

And if you search on "Edward Jones", you will see some compelling threads that strongly support the direction you are headed.

No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #3

I had Vanguard do an investment plan for me about 3 years ago. I entered all my data on line and talked to an investment adviser on the phone several times to get all my questions answered. It cost $200. I think I had to have $50,000 with them for that price. I received a formal investment plan. I ran several different tools to confirm their predictions. I followed their advice which included selections of funds in my 401K as well as selections in my Vanguard account. I am pretty much continuing to follow those allocations and funds, but I haven't gotten any advice since then. It is working for me.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been through the Vanguard retirement planning process twice. They'll lay out a solid plan for you for a low cost (it might be free depending on how much assets you are bringing over to them - check online to find out the thresholds).

In theory you could get pretty good diversification with three funds/ETFs (total stock, total international stock and total bond). I use the first two, but use lower duration bond funds. As you reorganize things, don't forget to cover off tax efficient placement of your holdings (generally income producing assets in you tax-deferred accounts and equities in your taxable accounts). See Principles of tax-efficient fund placement - Bogleheads
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #5

Vanguard will push you towards their Total Stock Market Index Fund, Total International Stock Fund and Total Bond Fund. I got this in the financial plan the Flagship clients get but I haven't followed their advice. I have an equity portfolio of Total Stock Market (50%), Small Cap (10%), Total International (30%) and REIT Index (10%). I'm debating whether to move into their Small Cap Value Fund. My fixed income is 55% of my total investable portfolio and is primarily in a CD ladder.

I suggest you read Andrew Hallam's Millionaire Teacher and William Bernstein's Investor Manifesto. They are the best reads I know of about index investing. You need to decide what is right for you. Please get away from Edward Jones ASAP. You are bleeding fees.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard will NOT send you a birthday card.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Vanguard will NOT send you a birthday card.
but with what you save you can buy yourself a nice birthday present!
Old 12-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
but with what you save you can buy yourself a nice birthday present!
Well, yea, but it is the thought that counts.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Well, yea, but it is the thought that counts.
Cheapskate! You can't take it with you, you know!