Join Early Retirement Today

Transferred IRA with Regrets
Old 06-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Transferred IRA with Regrets

Hi there, I am new here. Not retirement age yet. I have an IRA and I transferred it recently to a company but have regrets. I believe they are fleecing me for all kinds of fees and I need to move my entire portfolio over, one piece at a time, to Vanguard. I don't know if my IRA has been churned or not, but wonder if that would affect a transfer going smoothly.

If anyone else here has transferred your IRA, how did the transfer process go?
Investornew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investornew View Post
I moved a 457 account to an IRA at Vanguard. The process was smooth & easy, and Vanguard handled it. I think it was two phone calls to Vanguard, one to initiate the transfer in which they set up a conference call with Fidelity, and the other call to Vanguard to set up how I wanted it invested.

But it was a while back so it may have been only one phone call, I don't really remember. But it couldn't have been made any easier.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For Vanguard, it's pure awful. But once it's transferred, it's ok.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
My experience transferring my 401k to Vanguard was flawless.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm not alone, I read complaints from Bogglehead forum too. That's what happens when everybody moves to Vanguard.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
+1. The whole thing rolled right over. OP can call them (or Fidelity, or Schwab, etc.) and discuss how to do it.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

See Transferring a Thrivent Roth IRA to Vanguard - Bogleheads.org for some traps to avoid.

Our transfers to Vanguard and Fidelity (different times; different reasons) were both of the "very smooth" variety - YMMV.
SevenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #8

Vanguard "lost" my rollover for a month. Don't get me started on their outdated systems and unknowledgeable staff... If it were not for Wellington, I would move that money elsewhere.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #9

Quote:

+1

Guess I've been lucky, but I haven't had any major issues with Vanguard.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #10

In my experience Fidelity is better at tasks such as transfers than is Vanguard.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi there, I am new here. Not retirement age yet. I have an IRA and I transferred it recently to a company but have regrets. I believe they are fleecing me for all kinds of fees and I need to move my entire portfolio over, one piece at a time, to Vanguard. I don't know if my IRA has been churned or not, but wonder if that would affect a transfer going smoothly.

Why do you need to move your portfolio over one piece at a time?
Old 06-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #12

I transferred 2 IRAs, 2 or 3 taxable accounts, an SEP, and Inherited IRA all at the same time. Flawless.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If you have specific concerns, send them in writing to the firm's compliance department or if you have a broker ask for the name and address of his compliance officer. Guaranteed this will get their full attention.

Re "churned" the question is whether the broker had discretionary authority in the account. If not, this is illegal and they will have to make you whole. If he did have discretionary authority (why?) then the matter becomes very subjective, but state your grievances very specifically and in detail. You won't get what you don't ask for.

You can also contact your state regulators and ask for help.

It really does not matter whether they still have the account or not, "compliance" is a word that can bring the big bad wolf down on them and they will react with concern.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #14

It's supposed to be flawless, that's why when it's not flawless that's a problem. Just google it and you'll find plenty of problem out there for Vanguard.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #15

Last year I moved my SEP IRA from TRowePrice to Vanguard. Did completely on-line one evening, took just a few minutes to initiate, no gotcha's, done in-kind brokerage, completed promptly. As did not have any mutual funds, went very smoothly.

Earlier this year moved my taxable brokerage account from TRowePrice to Fidelity. Again totally done online. Again no mutual funds involved. Transfer of securities was accomplished promptly, but the transfer of the cash dragged. Fidelity kept reporting the transfer was complete.......no way in hell! Finally, after several weeks, the cash was transferred. Do not know who dragged their feet, suspect TRowePrice, but the Fidelity progress reports were bogus.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

RE: Vanguard, I think that once you get there, it's all good (S'allgood). You do have to keep on top of everything and maybe make phone calls to be certain your desires are being met. Trust but verify. I have nothing against the other biggies that others around her really like (e.g., Schwab and Fido, etc.) Good luck and always remember that YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

We moved 2 iras and 1 taxable account 2 months ago to vanguard. They initiated the transfers for the iras to make sure the transfers qualified as a tax-free rollover distributions. For the taxable account we were told it could take 10 business days to credit our account. It took 1 calendar day. Credited to our account on a Saturday!

Perhaps they are improving. How long ago were the bad experiences?
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

All the major investment houses want your money and will do their best to make the process of transferring accounts to them as smooth and easy as possible. If you're a bit of the nervous Nelly type and you live in a metropolitan area, you could go with one of the firms that has a brick and mortar presence such as Fido or Schwab. They'd be glad to have you come in and will help you with every detail even to the point of filling out forms for you. If followup is needed, you'll be able to see or call the same person, a small advantage of having a local office to deal with. If you'd prefer to be at Vanguard, AFAIK their phone reps will also bend over backwards to make the experience as smooth and stress free as possible for you.

Don't leave your money someplace where you're not happy over worry about the transfer process. There's really nothing to worry about.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #19

Old 06-02-2017, 05:09 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I moved a set of active mutual funds to Vanguard about 12 years ago. I didn't want to liquidate everything but rather move it intact and liquidate carefully over time. It wasn't bad but would have been simpler if I was willing to liquidate everything and go directly into index funds. If your current firm has you in back loaded mutual funds (I was in a couple) you may want to consider transferring in kind and exiting as the loads tail off. Also, make sure you stop having distributions reinvested.