Join Early Retirement Today

Transferring 401K to brokerage account, and a question
Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
gone traveling

Transferring 401K to brokerage account, and a question

OK, I finally did it. I will be transferring my 401K (from a previous employer) over to a brokerage account. Because of the paperwork BS, I will be out of the market for at least a week. Let's hope for a big market swoon the next week or two.

My questions concern the fact that a small part of this 401K is after-tax contributions (i.e., basically a "Roth" 401K.) On my tax form, would I need to consider this as a qualified Roth distribution? (It has been more than 5 years since I had separated from the employer, so that would not be an issue.) Can I roll it over to a Roth IRA? The distribution will come to me directly as regular check that that I can do with as I please. (The tax-deferred part will be a check made out to the new traditional IRA custodian.)
swampwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would suggest asking this question in the "Fairmark tax forum at the website below. Top tax accountants answer involved questions like yours.

Fairmark Forum :: Retirement Savings and Benefits
sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Swampwiz, I had the same thing when I left my company in 2008. I had a 401(k) there which included some after-tax contributions, known at the time as a 401(a).

What I did was to have the after-tax contribution amount (i.e. its principal) given to me directly while everything else (i.e. my pretax contributions and ALL the earnings on both the pretax contributions and after-tax contributions) included in a check made out to the brokerage house as a direct rollover (which appears to be what you want to do). The after-tax contribution amount was shown in Box 5 of Form 1099-R. Be on the lookout for that.

I needed the after-tax contributions for other purposes, so I did not create an IRA of any type with it. When it came time to do my 2008 taxes one year ago, I attached a statement describing these two amounts because the total of them is what I included in Line 15a on Form 1040. Line 15b would have a zero as the taxable amount because neither one is taxable. [I actually had additional types of distributions from my company savings plan which had different tax treatments, but that is irrelevant to you.]
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did a Roth conversion of my after tax money in my 401(k). It appears that this is a very gray area, however, as explained in this Fairmark article.

Isolating 401k Basis for a Conversion
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote