Trillions and trillions

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dr. Evil once said "One million dollars!" Well it seems that trillions is the new billions when speaking macro...

Some fun numbers I sort of halfheartedly researched:

Total Global MarketCap: 80 trillion (Beginning of year) https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/CM.MKT.LCAP.CD?view=chart

Total US MarketCap: 30 trillion (beginning of year)
Total US Consumer Debt expected at end of 2018: 14 trillion
AAPL/AMZN MarketCap: +1 trillion
China MarketCap: 5.75 trillion (was 10 trillion in 2015)

So AAPL + AMZN comprise 1/40th of the entire world market cap.
US Consumers have debt equal to 17% of the global market cap and 40% of our the US MarketCap.

Not sure what we are more confident about, growth, or debt lol.

These rounded numbers have no real correlation and found them among varying sources. Feel free to draw unrelated comparisons and correlations as I have done...for fun of course. :blush:

Oh and pop quiz, anyone know what comes after Trillion, NO googling!:dance:

Looking closer at imolderu 's link, it looks like WWII and Sept 11 attacks pushed us into the upward DEBT -to- GDP trends. So truly war will effect this ratio as it has shown in the past.

Looking closer at imolderu 's link, it looks like WWII and Sept 11 attacks pushed us into the upward DEBT -to- GDP trends. So truly war will effect this ratio as it has shown in the past.

True for WWII, but not so much for the War on Terror (or whatever we are calling it these days).

Per the table, "war cost" adds up to around $2T since 9/11 (I've seen $3T quoted elsewhere). But the debt went from $6T to $21T from 2001 to 2018. So approximately 10% of the current debt could be attributed to the WoT, or say 14% of the growth since 2001. Nothing like the situation in WWII.

I remember an ominous feeling years ago when I first heard "trillion" on a newscast. I guess "quadrillion" is on the horizon now.

It's all just numbers. How much does a tap of good cold beer down at the neighborhood bar cost? That's the real feel of inflation and what a currency is worth.

Reminds me of the old joke quoting a congressman "a billion here and a billion there-pretty soon you're talking real money"...(rumored to have been Everett Dirksen).

Oh and pop quiz, anyone know what comes after Trillion, NO googling!:dance:

In Dutch this is easy peasy:

• billion actually is 'miljard'
  • trillion is 'biljoen' (so billion)
  • post-trillion (quadrillion?) is 'trillion'

Confusing, nah ..

I think the Dutch are more accustomed to using those words, so they can track the fluctuations in the price of tulip bulbs.

:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom