Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Your posts on this subject seem to suggest that there was not a credit bubble that burst
This will mark my 2,314 post here. In all of those posts I defy you to find one where I said, or even implied, such a thing. I guess reading comprehension skills aren't a job requirement to be a managing director at a bulge bracket investment bank. Makes sense, now that I think of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Still, I hope it guides your investments to shorten the “Yrs. To Go” to your retirement. I have my doubts, but there it is…
In the coming weeks . . . Yrs to Go will be changed to Gone4Good (assuming it is not already taken). I'm 38. I guess knowing what the h €!! you're talking about isn't a requirement to be an investment banking MD either. That makes sense too.

Have a nice day.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Click on the miscreant's profile. Choose the User Lists dropdown and select Ignore list. Confirm when asked. Voila, no more LARS, tinfoilsteve, *****, etc.
I have to say you are quick on the draw but rarely misfire.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
I have to say you are quick on the draw but rarely misfire.
As I recently read in a book by one of my fave authors:

"If you don't have anything good to say about someone, say it to me."

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
As I recently read in a book by one of my fave authors:

"If you don't have anything good to say about someone, say it to me."
Well, my wife quoted it to me a little differently (say nothing at all) but this kept me out of a lot of trouble when I could catch myself before opening mouth.
Steve
Old 01-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

I know. I know. Not living up to my Curmudgeon certificate.

But I'm with FUEGO given I'm mostly full auto(with retirement money) and in my 16th year of ER.

Perhaps I'll get more jumpy as we approach the Superbowl.

Those Vanguard computers balancing my 'balanced index' don't even have sexy cheerleaders or anything. Must be an electron thing.

I do have a few good stocks for medicinal purposes - to keep the hormones in check.

heh heh heh - over 43 years of investing - hindsight says the less I did - including thinking and watching - the better I did.

I do reserve the right to get grumpy later. . Maybe even toss in a pssst-Wellesley as a reminder.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
How can this board be relevant when just about any political discussion is censored
Careful...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Hold'em? Fold'em? or Double down?

Main Street investors change their strategies - USATODAY.com
Old 02-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Ouch

Im holding unless we get a rally then Im selling...

Plan B is to become a real cheap bastard
Old 02-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
Im holding unless we get a rally then Im selling...
Define "rally."

Since the March 2009 bottom, despite the recent crappy market we're still *way* up. If you've ridden your current holdings up from that bottom, there's still plenty of time to take some off the table with big gains off the low of 11 months ago. In that sense, over a 12-month chart we are still in "rally" mode. In the last month, not so much.

Frankly, I took some off when the Dow hit 10,000 and am only a little more than 50% in equities now.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

I pulled all of my money out at the top (january 20) after a tidy profit, 100% short term bonds
Old 02-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

I think we could see a little rally between now and the end of March to somewhere near the highs of this year...

I bought most of my stocks at 8150 DOW last year and some more a bit lower...

I still can't figure out why utilities are getting hammered

I bought more TIPS, short INV grade and short term bond index this morning.

I was expecting a down day today but this sucks

While Im holding out hope, it sure don't look good from where Im sitting

Id hate to be a gold guy today
Old 02-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

JMO, but it sounds to me like you are paying too much attention to the daily mood swings of Mr. Market. Are you a day trader? Or just a DMT? Who cares about this stuff? 10000 today, 10500 tomorrow, 9800 the next day. Who cares? Unless you have particular reasons to be buying and/or selling right now I think you'd get more value out of seeing who is sleeping with who's spouse on the daytime trash tv shows.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
JMO, but it sounds to me like you are paying too much attention to the daily mood swings of Mr. Market. Are you a day trader? Or just a DMT? Who cares about this stuff? 10000 today, 10500 tomorrow, 9800 the next day. Who cares? Unless you have particular reasons to be buying and/or selling right now I think you'd get more value out of seeing who is sleeping with who's spouse on the daytime trash tv shows.
I seem to recall a lot of statements like this (and many a lot worse) aimed at those who were scared and pulling out of the market in the summer and fall of 2007.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I seem to recall a lot of statements like this (and many a lot worse) aimed at those who were scared and pulling out of the market in the summer and fall of 2007.
Maybe so. I have no problem with anybody who wants to pull out. Or pull in, for that matter. I'm just saying that reacting to small market swings isn't a very relaxing way to live life. If you think the market is overvalued (like I do), sell, sell, sell! And then when it's going to go back up buy, buy, buy! I'm sure the rhythm method works just as well for investing as it does for birth control.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

No day trader

Worried

How about scared shitless

Everything is overpriced....

There are lot's of things to worry about these days...

I have a bad feeling Im usually right about and I trust my gut