Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
My DH is a car fanatic. We have had over 100 cars in 35 years of marriage. Some used - so he could fix up and sale for a profit. Many new cars. We always buy the "lost leader" new car. These cars are ones you see in the paper that say we have one at this price. Pay cash. We instantly have 30% equity (actually 100% equity since we pay cash, but if we were to finance it would be 30% equity) when we buy the new car. We just purchased a new 2013 Ford F150 4x4 all decked out for $20,400. Had to finance for 3 months to get the extra $500 rebate. Paying off in December after our 3 months is up. Traded in a 2011 Ford Ranger 4x4, that was a lost leader we purchased for $14,500, trade in value $16,000. So we drove the new car basically free for a year and a half. Bought the new truck to pull the new rv. We will keep this one for a while. We only buy what we can turn around and sale for more than we paid for it. That is the only way I will let my husband act on his love affair with cars. Happy hunting for your new car. Insurance rates are so low for us it is about the same with every car we purchase.
That's a good strategy these days with used car prices so high. Getting the loss leader sale vehicle at a dealership is a chore since they usually only have one or a few.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

For those of you (and me) who have avoided the espresso coffee habit, here are a few machines under $14K (after sale price, of course):

Kees van der Westen Products - Visions Espresso Service, Inc.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
I am a car guy. Full stop. Cars are important to me so I buy new and what I want. What I do do, is keep them, well-maintained, for long periods, which "helps" on the cost front. Just replaced a 2002 BMW X5 with a 2012 BMW X5. Still have a 2001 BMW convertible owned since new. Still have a 1997 Porsche 993 also owned since new.
What is your maintenance cost for these cars?
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Until the new truck, the most we ever spent on a vehicle was about $23k. That was a new Suburban in 1989. We generally got compact cars or vans before that. I did buy a new Z28 in 1999 - but that was only $21k. I could never imagine spending more than that for a vehicle.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I had not heard of Bang & Olufsen. Have you?
Yes very high end electronic audio and video from Denmark. We still have a legacy system bought new in '78.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #46
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Previous car 1989 Ford Festiva (Mazda built in Korea), traded it in 2007 when could no longer get parts. Currently: 2005 Kia Reo.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

And if you drive the Texas highways at night, you have this to watch out for:
I have seen hundreds of those dead along the road, but I have yet to ever see a live one.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I've always had some restraint in buying cars - except when I walked into the chevy dealer in 2001 and drove out with a corvette. It now pains me to spend money on a car, but it feels less painful if they have low interest financing. I take the financing - that way it makes me feel like I haven't spent a lot of money
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
For those of you (and me) who have avoided the espresso coffee habit, here are a few machines under $14K (after sale price, of course):

Kees van der Westen Products - Visions Espresso Service, Inc.
If I could afford this kind of machines, I would not be troubled to remember or even care to know how to operate them. Too complicated!

It would be a job for my butler. Just bring me my filled cup. And on the double!
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I think I can dial back on my 100% biotech portfolio now. There is not going to be a German luxury car in my future!

On the grocery run this afternoon, DW pointed to a car and said it was cute. She said she would not mind having that as the next car (which I do not know when because our cars are still running well).

So, I looked and it was a Kia Soul. I just checked its price. Doggone cheap, compared to the CR-V that I had in mind. So, how about that?

I have no idea what the interior of this car looks like, but it's got good NTSA crash testings. What else to look out for?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
So here's my dilemma, and it's one I know others have struggled and posted with (at least the general problem). I have trouble spending money on myself. In a past life, I spent way too much on cars but have been really good for nearly a decade now. Our current FIRE savings rate is 50-60% of pre-tax income. I've been setting aside a significant amount of money each money for a "car fund" that is outside of our FIRE savings and it's now a good size.

So now I'm struggling to spend the car fund. On one hand, we're saving quite a bit for FIRE, but on the other hand another $20-40K gets us there that much faster. I know there are at least a couple car guys in the forum and a whole lot of not-car guys and gals. How do I decide what to do? How did you?
Not a problem I have.
Let me know if you need some help...

Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
What is your maintenance cost for these cars?
Honestly, I do not keep close track, but the costs are certainly not high to the point that I take note.

That having been said, my BMW's have been a mixed bag. I had an extended warranty on the 2002 X5 (traded last year for a 2012 X5 3.5d), which came in handy (repairs exceeded the cost of the insurance). The 2001 BMW 330CiC, on the other hand, has cost next to nothing and I didn't purchase an extended warranty on it. Its cost have been basically yearly oil changes and that is it.

The Porsche has been down right cheap to own (assuming you call $250 to $300 yearly oil changes cheap ). Prior to his car I owned Ferrari and it was very, very expensive to maintain.

I should also say that the X5 is the workhorse and gets all the miles (12,000 miles p.a.). The 2001 BMW has 35,000 miles and the Porsche has 15,000 miles.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I have seen hundreds of those dead along the road, but I have yet to ever see a live one.
In 19 years here in Texas, I have never seen a live one until two months ago. I was leaving Ft. Smith, Arkansas for Dallas and left the hotel at 4 am to miss traffic. I took a route south out of Ft. Smith that was not heavily traveled and between small towns I spotted a live armadillo working his way across the road. He was moving very slowly and I suspect that is why these creatures get nailed as often as they do.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
...and so does our local wildlife population.

A couple of weeks ago while pulling our RV, I collided with a what I can only assume was a partially deaf, nearsighted buzzard. Whatever the reason, he was a second or so too late in initiating his departure from the roadway diner. Last week our daughter who lives nearby hit a deer and did $3,000 worth of damage to her car and totaled the deer.Then last night DW was involved in a hit and run with a feral hog.

Enough already...
LOL. Sorry for your various animal altercations, but I sure got a good laugh out of reading your descriptions. Thanks!
Bently
Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Bently

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
So here's my dilemma, and it's one I know others have struggled and posted with (at least the general problem). I have trouble spending money on myself. In a past life, I spent way too much on cars but have been really good for nearly a decade now. Our current FIRE savings rate is 50-60% of pre-tax income. I've been setting aside a significant amount of money each money for a "car fund" that is outside of our FIRE savings and it's now a good size.

So now I'm struggling to spend the car fund. On one hand, we're saving quite a bit for FIRE, but on the other hand another $20-40K gets us there that much faster. I know there are at least a couple car guys in the forum and a whole lot of not-car guys and gals. How do I decide what to do? How did you?
Kind of off subject here, but I am a car guy. I've been saving money for a new car. My present car is only two years old, but you cannot go into spend mode when you have been in save mode for ever. A few weeks ago I was invited to test drive the new Bently GT's at Road Atlanta on the track. Wow what a car, costs what my wife and I live on for four years. The cheapest car was 200k. Maybe in my budget , but not in my mindset.
pletal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #56

My "daily driver", but I usually don't drive daily, is a 20 year old truck.

Reading posts in this thread, I think my definition of "a car guy" may be different than that used here.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
My "daily driver", but I usually don't drive daily, is a 20 year old truck.

Reading posts in this thread, I think my definition of "a car guy" may be different than that used here.
I'm not sure what the this community's definition of a "car guy" is here as I am relatively new to the group. We all have varied interests and passions. I have noticed that a lot of folks here have worked hard early in life and saved like crazy to get the the point of FI, and some have started much later (like me). The main interest for a lot of folks was saving and being frugal. That doesn't leave a lot of time or funds for an expensive hobby or passion.

I belong to a few auto enthusiast forums and the tone of the posts are focused on "everything auto". There is very little, if any, diversion into topics that are not car or automotive news related. On one board, I am a senior member and it has over 100,000 members and probably 10,000 of those are pretty active. The members are from all over the world and we even have a threads in French (for our Quebec crowd). Much different than here, for sure and very technical topics and information database. It's so technical that a certain auto manufacturer has engineers that monitor it for our suggestions and possible solutions to their issues.

I suspect there are a few car and motorcycle enthusiasts here that lurk and really don't dwell on their passion as it doesn't fit the LBYM lifestyle. From what I can tell (generalizing), the membership here buys economical cars, like the Prius, Camry, Honda's, etc and primarily sees their cars as transportation with little interest in knowing much more that where the key and gasoline go. Maintaining cars to the group is viewed as necessary and an inconvenience.

Purchasing autos at the lowest price is not what this group likes to deal with as the lowest cost is not obvious so many take comfort in using buying services and relying on TrueCar statistics to get to a price point they are comfortable with. Most folks here do not appear to buy used cars for the same reason (unsure of lowest correct price) and stick with new.

I enjoy this community as it is a good departure from the auto boards I spend time on. Those light my fire as I am an engineer and love things electrical and mechanical. What I get from here is knowledge on a wide variety of topics and opinions on subjects I need be following.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

BTW, have people who've FIRE'd run into problems getting leases at the best rates because they no longer have a paying job?

What happens to your credit rating after FIRE?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #59

I just bought a used 01 honda civic for the DW because she liked it. There aren't too many options for used vehicles on island here and I had to pay 3500 for it with 120k miles. My plans are to sell it for roughly the same price when I move off-island.

I drive a 2011 1/2 ton 4x4 truck which is my luxury truck. The DW hates driving and specifically parking it so that is fine by me. We drive the cheap Civic as often as humanly possible. I will ship the 1/2 ton to Cali and go on a nice road trip when this gig is over since the truck has fairly low miles at 20k.

I have always wanted to own a red sports car when I was younger, now I am happy to have the pickup when I need it and a little 4banger as a daily driver.

This setup is basically part of my FIRE plan. I never plan on buying 2 new vehicles at once in hopes of securing an even earlier FI. After reading articles on how to plan your 30s I noticed most households will purchase 2 new vehicles in there 30s so I am trying to only purchase 1 in my 30's in the hopes by the time I reach my 40s I won't care as much about my whip.

Here's a better question, in your years of driving, how much have you spent purchasing vehicles, and how much have you made selling vehicles.

In my 16yrs of driving I have spent $42,400 on 4 vehicles that averages out to $2,650/year over these 16years. If I factor in what I sold 3 of the vehicles for and the 10years I plan to get out of the newer truck, my annual cost drops to $1,457. If anything else, this is a cool way to look at some of your numbers.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote