Join Early Retirement Today

True Cost of Mutual Fund
Old 11-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

True Cost of Mutual Fund

Morning All -

Had visit with Financial Planner other day - free seminar - I try to pick up information.

I am still leaning towards doing my own "active" management using what I have learned on here, including using low cost Vanguard funds.

In the seminar the planner mentioned that you can't just go by the prospectus expense ratio. You need to include also the other "hidden" fees - management, admin, ... His focus was when you include those fees they are not much different than his charge of 1.4%.

So my question is how do I compare apples to apples??

Do I include the expense ratio and other fees identified in the prospectus against his 1.4%? Does his 1.4% include all of the mutual funds fees or are they on top of them (i.e., 1.4% plus expense ratio + ...)?

For our FIRE we are looking to need about a net 4% long term growth on our investments. Having high expenses can really put strain on fund performance.

Thanks

Kannon
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
........His focus was when you include those fees they are not much different than his charge of 1.4%..............
I award three Pinocchios. Run.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

You might point this wise advisor to the linked SEC document. They seem to believe it's all in the prospectus in two tables. Of course the SEC could be wrong and this wise advisor knows it all.:what:

http://www.sec.gov/answers/mffees.htm

What wouldn't be in there are advisor 'wrap' fees. Might ask if that's what he's talking about. Did he see a turnip truck when you pulled up?

Run away, far away.

Edit to add: Nice job smelling BS when a FA starts lying. You can also get the same definitions of allowable charges from FINRA or ICI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
In the seminar the planner mentioned that you can't just go by the prospectus expense ratio. You need to include also the other "hidden" fees - management, admin, ... His focus was when you include those fees they are not much different than his charge of 1.4%.
That's bull. You can get a total US market index fund like Vanguard's VTSAX or Fidelity's FSTVX for .05%, or Schwab's SWTSX for .09%. That's $5 or $9 per year for every $10000 you have invested... instead of $140.
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Anything that involves a human doing stuff just for you is always going to cost more.

Only, therefore, involve a human if you simply can't get the task done without a human's personal attention.

This would seem to be one of those times when you can dispense with the personal human touch (naturally, there are humans in the mutual fund company, but they are not paying personal attention to you).

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This guy is either uneducated about mutual funds or lying to you.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Turnover.

heh heh heh - it's not a trick question.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A financial planner should bill for his time, not a %.

Otherwise, indeed run.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Not surprisingly, your FP is using broad averages to make you think his fees are reasonable - it's sales spin and it works on too many people. There are indeed mutual funds that have fees that high or higher, with our without hidden fees (on top of expense ratios) - so he's rationalizing he's not lying to you outright. Or he's just ignorant and parroting his firms sales pitch. Either would be a good reason to eliminate his services from consideration IMO.

But there are lots of excellent mutual funds for almost any asset class with very competitive returns and far lower fees - Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, etc. You can easily find expense ratios for any mutual fund and while it takes some digging (unfortunately), you can also find any hidden fees on any mutual fund to get a clear picture of the total fees.

The odds that your FP can provide better returns after his fees than a portfolio of good low expense funds is very remote at best - there have been many academic studies to prove it.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....;.In the seminar the planner mentioned that you can't just go by the prospectus expense ratio. You need to include also the other "hidden" fees - management, admin, ... His focus was when you include those fees they are not much different than his charge of 1.4%......
He's either an idiot or a liar, but either one disqualifies him from being your advisor.

His 1.4% is on top of whatever the funds being used charge (not instead of). Stay the course, read and learn and do it yourself and you'll be much better off.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #11

Run from this FA. Also by "active investing" what do you mean.? Market timing and intense trading or periodic rebalancing?

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #12

He's selling and plenty of suckers are buying.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #13

Man, what a tough crowd!

Let's give the poor guy the benefit of the doubt.
Assume he wants you to compare a mutual fund with an ER of 1.4% with his management fee of 1.4% and he puts you in a portfolio of only stocks (no funds).

In that case, he's absolutely right.

The kicker is simply that
  • you would be foolish in the first place to buy a fund with that ER
and
  • the odds are tiny that his stock picks would outpace a low cost index fund.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #14

This is a line of sales patter that mutual fund advisers are taught. It is NOT TRUE but can be easily misunderstood to mean using an adviser won't cost more than do it yourself. It is true that you can find mutual fund with high fees and also that some fund as much or more than 1.4%. But ironically you would never pick those funds unless an adviser steered you into them.

The suggestion that there are hidden fees not included in the ER is a deliberate lie, and if asked about it he will say you misunderstood or mention an usual case of funds that charge an account fee for small balances.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
For entertainment purposes only, I have attended a couple of dozen of these seminars. I am always reminded that current customers are paying for the meals that are consumed by the possible customers.

I once caught a quote from Scott Burns that goes something like this ~"Enjoy the free meal but avoid the kool aid."

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
True Cost of Mutual Fund
Old 11-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

True Cost of Mutual Fund

Just reserved a spot for DH and I for an upcoming seminar (free dinner). I use to avoid these while I was working, but now I have the time
Of course there is no obligation according to the invitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #17

How do you find these free dinners? I never get invited to those but I get junk mail for financial newsletters all the time.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
For entertainment purposes only, I have attended a couple of dozen of these seminars. I am always reminded that current customers are paying for the meals that are consumed by the possible customers.

I once caught a quote from Scott Burns that goes something like this ~"Enjoy the free meal but avoid the kool aid."
Only half a dozen before we started putting on pounds - they wanted our 401k rollover.

heh heh heh - never got one from Vanguard (the one I had already picked). They were cheap/low expenses even back then.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
How do you find these free dinners? I never get invited to those but I get junk mail for financial newsletters all the time.
Most of the "Free Dinner" (bait) seminars I have come across are advertised on radio, and you have to call them.

Rubber chicken isn't so bad when it's free.

Back to the OP , advise a u-turn away from the adviser, you can do it yourself
Old 11-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

They come in the US mail with our name and address. Not sure how I got on "the list". We get 2-3 invites/year. We've never attended one so I guess I'll see if it is worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum