Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Trust Fund Baby sites?
Old 02-24-2006, 07:46 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I bet there are more people with trust funds that pay 40,000 a year than than those that get hundreds of thousands per year. Some of the children of posters on this board are going to have trust funds.

Anyway, the OP doesn't have a trust fund, he is just retiring very young, without a family yet. As others have done on this board.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2006, 09:55 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I bet there are more people with trust funds that pay 40,000 a year than than those that get hundreds of thousands per year.* Some of the children of posters on this board are going to have trust funds.*

Anyway, the OP doesn't have a trust fund, he is just retiring very young, without a family yet.* As others have done on this board.*
Good point Martha. If things go as planned, my stash will be near Biblical proportions when I take the Stairway to Heaven. At least if all the "ifs" work out in my calculations. That would leave my family with a nice chunk to have paid out to them from our trusts. $60k per year per person would not be unlikely. On the other hand...maybe we will blow it all and leave them with nothing....sort of like how we started out.

I had a friend in college that was a Trust Fund Baby. His grandfather invented some mechanical aspect of the current valve system in automobiles and the royalties from that were quite large. It was tough for him to be with a bunch of poor white guys who were paying their own way through part time jobs while he had a new car, his own apartment, stereos, etc. etc. He was a nice guy but felt sort of out of place with us. We could not afford to blow $200 on a night out...heck we were lucky to afford a 6-pack and a deli sandwich. He eventually found a more affluent group of fellow rich kids to hang out with but later told us he found them "shallow". Sucks to be rich I guess!

Old 02-24-2006, 03:39 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I bet there are more people with trust funds that pay 40,000 a year than than those that get hundreds of thousands per year.* Some of the children of posters on this board are going to have trust funds.*
If spouse & I are both on the same rollercoaster in the next few years then our kid will have a trust fund until she's 21. After that she's on her own.

But our "kid" will hopefully be in her 80s before we kick off. Don't see much use for her or our putative grandkids to have trust funds at those ages.

Stretched-out Roth IRAs, sure. But I think the rest of it is better off in some other charity to be determined later.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #24

I met quite a few trust fund babies while travelling on a shoestring around the world. Many had more limited budgets than myself. There are quite a few "perpetual travellers" who live off their trust funds while they try to find themselves.

Berkeley and other psuedo-hippy hangouts in the Bay Area are also filled with trust fund kiddies that don't have private jets. I'm interested in the search for purpose and drive in life when meeting your essential needs (food, shelter, etc) is no longer an issue.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireme
I'm interested in the search for purpose and drive in life when meeting your essential needs (food, shelter, etc) is no longer an issue.
It has been my experience that those trying to "find themselves" couldn't find their a** with both hands tied behind their back. But then I've always known where "I" was...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
TH, (), Cute Fuzzy Bunny, Cute Fuzzy Bulldog:

Just so you know.* I'm the one that put that key scratch on your Lexus.* (It was easy to spot in Yuba City).

Love, Jarhead
Oh crap*
Then whose Lexus did I scratch in Yuba City ??
Old 02-24-2006, 08:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
It has been my experience that those trying to "find themselves" couldn't find their a** with both hands tied behind their back.* But then I've always known where "I" was...

I "found" myself years ago, but was threatened by the theory that I would go blind if I continued.

Soldiering on until I needed eye glasses seemed a good compromise.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:53 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When a half a millenia or more is involved, is it still appropriate to talk about it in terms of "years"...?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:28 AM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
I have an acquaintance who inherited a couple million. She doesn't work, is building a big semi-custom waterfront home, and got a bunch of cosmetic work done (face lift, botox, pumped-up lips, boob job, tummy tuck). My brother stopped dating her becasue she was so emotionally needy (cried whenever he wanted to spend an evening alone, resetned him not taking off from his small business upon her whim)--and he was turned off by the changes in her body (and the fact that she called me twice in tears because he wasn;t her love slave-). Last we heard, she's dating someone she met on the internet. Not that there's anything wrong with that* :

Geeeez, sounds too good to be true. Got a contact number?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #30

Be careful what you wish for--you could double your troubles in a heartbeat!
Old 02-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireme
There are quite a few "perpetual travellers" who live off their trust funds while they try to find themselves.

Berkeley and other psuedo-hippy hangouts in the Bay Area are also filled with trust fund kiddies that don't have private jets. I'm interested in the search for purpose and drive in life when meeting your essential needs (food, shelter, etc) is no longer an issue.
The purpose and drive in life for the trust-fund-baby set that I've met (and you meet plenty in Manhattan) seem to be to spend Daddy's money and enjoy life, all the while pretending that they're on some deep quest to find meaning in their lives. And no, we don't have to be talking about private jets - lots of trust fund babies like to "slum it" in a psuedo-bohemia.

Honestly, what you - a successful saver and seemingly fortunate but hard working guy - expect to learn from a bunch of adult children who never had to work for the same stuff you have worked for is beyond me.

Meeting my essential needs is no longer an issue - and it's not an issue for most people in the U.S. either. It all depends on what your definition of "essential" is.

I'd suggest looking to people who are volunteering and trying to make a difference in some way (Peace Corps, Doctors Without Borders, NGOs, etc.) rather than to the trust-fund-baby set if you're looking for clues about finding a purpose and a drive in life other than making money.

Besides - the trust-fund-babies are probably too busy finding themselves to bother starting or contributing to an online forum ... that would be too much work!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #32

Whatever happened to "men of property" (the trust fund babies of their day) like Antoine Lavoisier devoting their lives to science, philosophy, the arts, public works?

Maybe I shouldn't talk--Im only giving 5 hours a week to my local hospital...but then I'm not a genius
Old 02-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrMike
forget trust fund people, who the hell wants to chat with people that didn't have to work for it. Plus, @ 40K per year, your nowhere near the trust fund baby league.

BTW, I'm 24 with a child on the way and am pretty much retired, although I technically still work if for no other reason than the fact that I can't "really" be retired at 24.
Wow, how'd ya do that (retire @ 24) if you don't mind....
Old 02-28-2006, 09:46 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
Wow, how'd ya do that (retire @ 24) if you don't mind....
I think this thread will explain how he did it...

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...80679#msg80679

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote