Trust Fund Baby sites?

free4now

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As someone about to try retirement at 35 years old with a withdrawal rate of about $40k/yr, I sometimes feel like I'm in a different world from the mostly older folks on this board. I haven't had kids yet and haven't found a wife, whereas most folks on this board seem to retire around the time their kids are grown or almost grown, or at least after they have found a spouse to retire with.

I'm not a trust fund baby (I've worked as a software engineer to earn all of my money), but I do think by starting to not work at a relatively early age I will share some similar concerns with trust fund babies on modest budgets.

Anyone found any good trust fund baby forums?

The Cute Fuzzy whatever has a year old child and he retired in his 30s. Nords retired with a young child. Farmer Ed is another example. Even though HaHa's kids are grown, they were young when he retired and he and his wife even homeschooled.

I think you are in the right place. :)

Cute fuzzy whatever? You mean you dont even know what I am? Sighhhh....

Trust fund babies often grow up with money, never wanting, not knowing what the downside of life is like. Then they get a lot of money. They spend it. They're broke.

The difference is that we as a whole (or a hole) didnt grow up with money, know what its like to watch your pennies at least a little bit, then either practically won the lottery (as in my case, having real estate shoot up and my companies stock do the same), or after a long and illustrious career shovelling uranium or bullshit, retired from some form of government service. Then we had some money to responsibly spend.

Martha is right, you're probably in the right place.

We're about the same as the older folks on the board. Just a little younger, maybe a little quicker, maybe a bit better looking, maybe we dont need to take as many painkillers or erectile dysfunction medications, dont need all that prune juice...yep, pretty much the same ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Well, I've got a wife, but other than that we're pretty much in the same shoes. I'm aiming for ER around 36 or 37 (in about 6 years), and there's nothing trust-fund-baby about me either!

I don't think you're that much out of place on the ER boards from what I've read. I think you'll probably have more in common with people like yourself who've worked for your money than with whatever woes the trust fund baby set has.

Stick around and help represent our age group around here :)

20-something here, with plans to jump ship in my 30's. My kids will probably not have started college yet.

I'm married and have a kid (and one more coming), but I expect to retire/semi-retire in about 8 years at age 40. There are enough of us yunguns here. Oh, and I have known some trust funders in my time and they generally have no clue about money.

Cute Fuzzy Bulldog said:
Cute fuzzy whatever?  You mean you dont even know what I am?  Sighhhh....

Trust fund babies often grow up with money, never wanting, not knowing what the downside of life is like.  Then they get a lot of money.  They spend it.  They're broke.

The difference is that we as a whole (or a hole) didnt grow up with money, know what its like to watch your pennies at least a little bit, then either practically won the lottery (as in my case, having real estate shoot up and my companies stock do the same), or after a long and illustrious career shovelling uranium or bull****, retired from some form of government service.  Then we had some money to responsibly spend.

Martha is right, you're probably in the right place.

We're about the same as the older folks on the board.  Just a little younger, maybe a little quicker, maybe a bit better looking, maybe we dont need to take as many painkillers or erectile dysfunction medications, dont need all that prune juice...yep, pretty much the same ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

CFB,

You have gone too far this time. When my wife and I pack for travel we take only three bags: 1 for her, 1 for me and 1 for all the pills, creams, lotions and ointments (That's the big suitcase, by the way). You will get there. :)

setab

I know I did. Thats why I tried to counteract it with the extreme sarcasm six winkies...

Considering I have to take a pill to get to sleep, and buy alleve and benadryl in the costco 400 count bottles, I should probably shut the #^%$ up. At least I dont have any ED...

Cute Fuzzy Bulldog said:
We're about the same as the older folks on the board.  Just a little younger, maybe a little quicker, maybe a bit better looking, maybe we dont need to take as many painkillers or erectile dysfunction medications, dont need all that prune juice...yep, pretty much the same

TH, (), Cute Fuzzy Bunny, Cute Fuzzy Bulldog:

Just so you know. I'm the one that put that key scratch on your Lexus. (It was easy to spot in Yuba City). :D

Love, Jarhead

Jarhead* said:
TH, (), Cute Fuzzy Bunny, Cute Fuzzy Bulldog:

Just so you know. I'm the one that put that key scratch on your Lexus. (It was easy to spot in Yuba City). :D

Love, Jarhead

In that case then, i'm honored.

By the way, theres no need to wear all those pointy medals when you're stopping by the walmart.

When I think "trust fund baby," I think expensive big-city condos, Jaguars, trendy restaurants & resorts, decadent parties or just all-day Miller time--and services like investment salesmen advisors. That's most likely way over the top, so I tried googling for variations on "median trust fund income" but couldn't find what I was looking for (is there a better googler in the house?). I suspect you'll be more at home here as you worked at a geeky job like most of us, and your income was earned and in our ballpark. Unless you're trying to meet a trust-fund chick   ::) Actually, I hope you do check out those trust fund sites and report back--and post links to the party pix!

astromeria said:
When I think "trust fund baby," I think expensive big-city condos, Jaguars, trendy restaurants & resorts, decadent parties or just all-day Miller time--and services like investment salesmen advisors. That's most likely way over the top, so I tried googling for variations on "median trust fund income" but couldn't find what I was looking for (is there a better googler in the house?). I suspect you'll be more at home here as you worked at a geeky job like most of us, and your income was earned and in our ballpark. Unless you're trying to meet a trust-fund chick   ::) Actually, I hope you do check out those trust fund sites and report back--and post links to the party pix!

Most of the trust funders I have known have actually lead sort-of normal lives, but have lacked a certain purposefulness. Since they never had to jump on anything and stick to it in order to achieve financial success, they just sort of drift through life, moving from one amusement to the next. Could be worse, I suppose, but never having any real accomplishments to your name would not be a real fulfilling life for me.

I have an acquaintance who inherited a couple million. She doesn't work, is building a big semi-custom waterfront home, and got a bunch of cosmetic work done (face lift, botox, pumped-up lips, boob job, tummy tuck). My brother stopped dating her becasue she was so emotionally needy (cried whenever he wanted to spend an evening alone, resetned him not taking off from his small business upon her whim)--and he was turned off by the changes in her body (and the fact that she called me twice in tears because he wasn;t her love slave-). Last we heard, she's dating someone she met on the internet. Not that there's anything wrong with that ::)

fireme said:
Anyone found any good trust fund baby forums?
astromeria said:
That's most likely way over the top, so I tried googling for variations on "median trust fund income" but couldn't find what I was looking for (is there a better googler in the house?).
Try searching for "Thayer Cheatham Willis", the Georgia-Pacific heiress who wrote "Navigating the Dark Side of Wealth".

Here, fireme, you can read about her, contact her, and maybe get her going on her next project! http://www.thayerwillis.com/about/index.htm

astromeria said:
I have an acquaintance who inherited a couple million. She doesn't work, is building a big semi-custom waterfront home, and got a bunch of cosmetic work done (face lift, botox, pumped-up lips, boob job, tummy tuck). My brother stopped dating her becasue she was so emotionally needy (cried whenever he wanted to spend an evening alone, resetned him not taking off from his small business upon her whim)--and he was turned off by the changes in her body (and the fact that she called me twice in tears because he wasn;t her love slave-). Last we heard, she's dating someone she met on the internet. Not that there's anything wrong with that  ::)
The problem with posts like this is there's never any phone numbers, addresses, names, pictures...

"Thayer Cheatham Willis"

Now there's rich person's name.

astromeria said:
I have an acquaintance who inherited a couple million. She doesn't work, is building a big semi-custom waterfront home, and got a bunch of cosmetic work done (face lift, botox, pumped-up lips, boob job, tummy tuck). My brother stopped dating her becasue she was so emotionally needy (cried whenever he wanted to spend an evening alone, resetned him not taking off from his small business upon her whim)--and he was turned off by the changes in her body (and the fact that she called me twice in tears because he wasn;t her love slave-). Last we heard, she's dating someone she met on the internet. Not that there's anything wrong with that ::)

My brother's wife inherited millions after they married, and you'd never know it, except my brother got a chip on his shoulder and works very, very hard.

forget trust fund people, who the hell wants to chat with people that didn't have to work for it. Plus, @ 40K per year, your nowhere near the trust fund baby league.

BTW, I'm 24 with a child on the way and am pretty much retired, although I technically still work ;) if for no other reason than the fact that I can't "really" be retired at 24.

I bet there are more people with trust funds that pay 40,000 a year than than those that get hundreds of thousands per year. Some of the children of posters on this board are going to have trust funds.

Anyway, the OP doesn't have a trust fund, he is just retiring very young, without a family yet. As others have done on this board.

Martha said:
I bet there are more people with trust funds that pay 40,000 a year than than those that get hundreds of thousands per year.  Some of the children of posters on this board are going to have trust funds. 

Anyway, the OP doesn't have a trust fund, he is just retiring very young, without a family yet.  As others have done on this board. 

Good point Martha. If things go as planned, my stash will be near Biblical proportions when I take the Stairway to Heaven. At least if all the "ifs" work out in my calculations. That would leave my family with a nice chunk to have paid out to them from our trusts. $60k per year per person would not be unlikely. On the other hand...maybe we will blow it all and leave them with nothing....sort of like how we started out. :D

I had a friend in college that was a Trust Fund Baby. His grandfather invented some mechanical aspect of the current valve system in automobiles and the royalties from that were quite large. It was tough for him to be with a bunch of poor white guys who were paying their own way through part time jobs while he had a new car, his own apartment, stereos, etc. etc. He was a nice guy but felt sort of out of place with us. We could not afford to blow $200 on a night out...heck we were lucky to afford a 6-pack and a deli sandwich. He eventually found a more affluent group of fellow rich kids to hang out with but later told us he found them "shallow". Sucks to be rich I guess!

Martha said:
I bet there are more people with trust funds that pay 40,000 a year than than those that get hundreds of thousands per year.  Some of the children of posters on this board are going to have trust funds. 
If spouse & I are both on the same rollercoaster in the next few years then our kid will have a trust fund until she's 21. After that she's on her own.

But our "kid" will hopefully be in her 80s before we kick off. Don't see much use for her or our putative grandkids to have trust funds at those ages.

Stretched-out Roth IRAs, sure. But I think the rest of it is better off in some other charity to be determined later.

I met quite a few trust fund babies while travelling on a shoestring around the world. Many had more limited budgets than myself. There are quite a few "perpetual travellers" who live off their trust funds while they try to find themselves.

Berkeley and other psuedo-hippy hangouts in the Bay Area are also filled with trust fund kiddies that don't have private jets. I'm interested in the search for purpose and drive in life when meeting your essential needs (food, shelter, etc) is no longer an issue.

fireme said:
I'm interested in the search for purpose and drive in life when meeting your essential needs (food, shelter, etc) is no longer an issue.

It has been my experience that those trying to "find themselves" couldn't find their a** with both hands tied behind their back. But then I've always known where "I" was... ;)

Back
Top Bottom