Join Early Retirement Today

Trusts, Wills, POA's etc
Old 12-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Trusts, Wills, POA's etc

Anyone versed in the nuances of Wills, trusts, POA's. I assume (most)everyone needs a Will and POA's (health, financial etc); but to what extent does the expertise of the "preparer" matter. Also, reagarding a trust; is this legal document absolutely needed if one does not have considerable assets like investment property or a "huge" estate (ie., less than 2 million). We had all this done (Will, poa, trusts) in NC by a certified estate attorney for about 2k .We now live in Ga and a general practice attorney says we have to re-do everything at again considerable costs which to me sounds a bit absurd since we've divested ourselves of most of our investment RE holdings. Would a "simple" Will be enough to handle our IRA/ Retirement holdings and personal home initially to the surviving spouse and then to the kids.

Anyone have any estimates on their costs runs for all this? Up sides/ Down sides ??
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You do need new docs for the new state.

You may get away with a simple will without trusts if you are confident that the last of you to die will not have a taxable estate, but estate tax laws change and are changing, and you need to talk to a Georgia lawyer about what you actually need. Estate planning is an area ripe for screw-ups so using someone who knows what they are doing is important. The documents are easy. What you are paying for is the decisions on what needs to be done and how best to do it. Your situation may be simple enough to keep the cost down below the $2000 you paid before.

Charges vary a lot by community. I first typed in my guess range but it is too much of a guess and I just don't know what is the range in your part of the country. At my old office (with notable estate planners) typical charges for a husband and wife with enough assets to need to address tax consequences is probably a couple of thousand and will go higher the more complex the situation is. I favor using experts in the area and it might not cost you more to use the best because they are efficient and have an inside out understanding of the law.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

AARP has a searchable database of attorneys. Can be accessed from this page.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

To find a good estate planning attorney, you can ask attorneys that practice in other areas of the law and ask other professionals, such as accountants and business owners, who they use.

FWIW, a listing of lawyers and their practice areas can be found at Lawyers Find A Lawyer, Law Firm, Attorney & Legal Services: martindale.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't really have an estimate on cost, but you might consider getting a few more opinions from lawyers in GA. I would have thought with existing docs in hand, assuming no major changes, it would be a pretty simple task.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most of these docs are boilerplate. The hard part is figuring out who will be the guardian of your minor-aged kids and who will be trustee for them. Those decisions should've been made already with the original set of documents.

So shop around.

Our set was $600 per person or $1200 for husband and wife about 12 years ago. Got us each a will, bypass trust, durable POA, health care POA. I don't know what it would cost us nowadays.

We had a recommendation for an estate attorney and used it. The only question I had was "How many of your clients die every year?" I wanted to know that his work was actually being used and possibly tested by the legal system.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
The only question I had was "How many of your clients die every year?" I wanted to know that his work was actually being used and possibly tested by the legal system.
DW and I had a GP lawyer (and friend) draft our wills. He died (young) a few yeas ago and as far as I know his will past any barriers.

The value he gave us (other than ensuring legality) was some suggestions on what to do if we both died with minor children. This included: how to split child care and financial care, when to give the offspring their inheritance and a few other things. No trust or POA was involved.

Money well spent.