TSP and Beneficiaries and Stretch IRAs

kannon

Recycles dryer sheets
Morning. Was wondering if there are any TSP'ers out there. Wondering what they are doing with their assets.

I would like to not touch till RMD. Can I take out just my RMD for that year? Know withdrawal options are changing.

Will you be rolling over TSP to an IRA so you can ensure a stretch IRA for beneficiaries?

Finally - have wife as primary, like to add kids as contingent beneficiaries. Have to do that by mail in form? Can't do online?

Thanks

Kannon

Morning. Was wondering if there are any TSP'ers out there. Wondering what they are doing with their assets.

I would like to not touch till RMD. Can I take out just my RMD for that year? Know withdrawal options are changing.

Will you be rolling over TSP to an IRA so you can ensure a stretch IRA for beneficiaries?

Finally - have wife as primary, like to add kids as contingent beneficiaries. Have to do that by mail in form? Can't do online?

Thanks

Kannon

As you noted the TSP withdrawal options are changing in Sept. and we probably won't know the details until then. Based on the current withdrawal options you would have to select a full TSP withdrawal and set the monthly amount to your RMD. The TSP also offers a monthly withdrawal options based on life expectancy but not certain if that is calculated the same as the RMD amount. I haven't seen an online option for withdrawal request, they do require that a Notary signs off on the form.

Haven't read the actual bill yet but the house bill that will potentially shift the RMD age out to 72 appears to curtail the stretch for non-spouse beneficiaries. Basing this on media reports so I really need to pull up the bill and read it.

Ouch. The ending of stretch IRAs is going to really hurt. And with no outrage from the public, likely to pass. Guess I better think about attending that free dinner where they talk about life insurance.

Somewhat - this was wondering what federal retirees are planning to do with their TSP.

One of the response about the stretch IRA impacts a lot more than just TSP. So I added a new topic on just the stretch IRA impact.

Back
Top Bottom