Join Early Retirement Today

TSP as a model for other 401(k)s ?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

TSP as a model for other 401(k)s ?

Interesting little article about the TSP. There's an interview you can listen to as well.

Federal News Radio 1500 AM: The TSP as a model for other 401(k)s?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like the TSP a lot. The main gripes I hear are limited fund selection and restricted fund transfers. But, that is what keeps the costs down!

Can't wait until they implement the ROTH option soon.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I like the TSP a lot, too. Mine is all in "G Fund" in retirement. I am taking equal monthly payments from it which cover my retirement expenses just about completely.

There are many, many, many thousands of federal jobs open at www.usajobs.opm.gov . Anyone who wants to participate in the TSP is more than welcome to apply there and get one! You'll be vested quickly. So far, nobody who is qualified has wanted federal benefits such as the TSP badly enough to apply for my former job, and take the bad with the good.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
I like the TSP a lot. The main gripes I hear are limited fund selection and restricted fund transfers. But, that is what keeps the costs down!

Can't wait until they implement the ROTH option soon.

A lot of "Bogleheads" would think that's great: not too many choices to distract you and incentives to "stay the course" rather than trade a lot.

When I was in the Navy the TSP wasn't available to military folks. But I convinced a few civilians at one agency to which I was assigned to start investing in the TSP. One of them in particular has thanked me many times.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I would say that for a lot of plans it would be better... but the plan we have here is better IMO (note.... I am the one who negotiated the whole thing, so I might be biased )

But, we have about 70 funds... so whatever investment style you like, there is a group of funds for you..

We have a basic group like the TSP... very low cost indexes..

We have a group of target funds... pick and forget...

We have a group of active managed funds for the conservative bend..

We have a group of specific kinds... real estate, regional, commodity, international...

Now, I was warned that this might create some problems for some, but most people have said they like the variety... and in the future we are hoping to get a self directed broker account (we did have that in our last one, but could not get it in our new one yet)....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm not usually one to suggest "the government can do it better" or "give us more regulation to save us from ourselves", but I'd like to see legislation requiring something along the lines of a TSP line up of choices as the bare minimum that a 401k plan could offer. With reasonable fees. Financial reform I could support. Or change I could believe in or something like that.

I doubt it would be a problem to implement, and I would guess it would dramatically increase the competition among 401k providers, since they would be competing on costs and fees to provide X product (at a minimum).

Like this would ever happen given the lobbyists out there!

What I would do for an I fund in my otherwise great 401k...
Old 05-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm not usually one to suggest "the government can do it better" or "give us more regulation to save us from ourselves", but I'd like to see legislation requiring something along the lines of a TSP line up of choices as the bare minimum that a 401k plan could offer. With reasonable fees. Financial reform I could support. Or change I could believe in or something like that.
Except that it would be hard for them to guarantee that the rest of us had the equivalent of the G fund....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Wouldn't it be interesting if all 401(k) and 403b plan participants had the option to either opt into "their plan" or the TSP? All it would take would be a simple piece of legislation to make it happen.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Wouldn't it be interesting if all 401(k) and 403b plan participants had the option to either opt into "their plan" or the TSP? All it would take would be a simple piece of legislation to make it happen.
Hey, as long as we are opting into parts of a compensation package, can I opt into their lifetime salaries or my lifetime salary, too? Oh good, thanks.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
A lot of "Bogleheads" would think that's great
Hey, I think its great too.

I check the TSP website frequently for jobs. I don't think their staff is very big. Interesting to read the boards minutes too.

Prolly would not move to the DC area tho...
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hey, as long as we are opting into parts of a compensation package, can I opt into their lifetime salaries or my lifetime salary, too? Oh good, thanks.
Pre-2008 that may have made you pretty wealthy. Lately private salaries have been pretty ugly. We did finally get our old 2008 salaries back, but we are still waiting to get the 401k matches back. Maybe us in the private sector could have the option to take a government salary when things get rough. That's change I could believe in!

Sorry, just a little bitter at government employees lately. Whining over 1/2% pay cuts last year that were actually furloughs whereby they received and extra 10 hours vacation in lieu of the 1/2% salary. And there were still COLA adjustments and merit based increases. When many people I know in private consulting and law firms had salaries cut much more, with no reduction in hours.

But back on topic, I would think that getting a TSP-like option as an opt in for private firms would be a worthwhile retirement/investment reform. Maybe skip the G fund, since creating that and making the principal remain intact would cost the government something. Or reduce it to very short term treasury yields (essentially money market).
Old 05-27-2010, 01:47 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

One of the things I learned from reading the board is that TSP is the best retirement plan. I did a bit of research and decided it is really terrific fund for all of the reason that NPR story talks about.

Honestly, if the government really wanted to people retire they'd open the TSP to every employer especially the small ones. I wouldn't even mind if they charge private employer a slightly higher fee.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Conversely, as long as we are opting into parts of a compensation package, can I opt into the employment security, COLA'd raises, and lifetime medical benefits of a public service career, instead of the competitive pay-for-play system I have been toiling under in the private sector? Oh, good, thanks.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Conversely, as long as we are opting into parts of a compensation package, can I opt into the employment security, COLA'd raises, and lifetime medical benefits of a public service career, instead of the competitive pay-for-play system I have been toiling under in the private sector? Oh, good, thanks.
Only if they can put a big framed picture of Obama up in the front entrance of your building!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Only if they can put a big framed picture of Obama up in the front entrance of your building!

Us former feds know they do put a pic of the prez in the lobby of guvmint buildings.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Us former feds know they do put a pic of the prez in the lobby of guvmint buildings.
As a non-fed, it is always a shock when I walk into a nondescript research lab or suburban office building and see this smiling photo of the sitting president smiling back at me. Private companies don't generally do this. It is like big brother is watching you...
Old 05-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:

No problemo, amigo- as long as I get to choose the frame.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
There is no question that for people of limited skills at the bottom of the pyramid federal employment is a very good deal. But the pay is quite low for many professional positions. here is a typical current job ad for an expereinced engineer in a life critical job:

Civil Engineer at the Department of Energy
  • Duty Locations: New York City, NY and Chicago, IL
  • Major Duties: Inspect engineering evaluation and analysis of non-federal hydroelectric projects to insure the safety of the projects and compliance with the terms of the license, the provisions of the Federal Power Act and the Commission regulations. Review and perform evaluations and analyses; and prepare engineering reports to establish and document the dam safety, public safety, and environmental and license compliance of the Commission hydroelectric projects.
So this is a person who is doing life safety reviews on major Hydro power systems
The posted salary range for New York is
Salary Range: $68,625.00 - $89,217.00

If you think you can get a top engineer for that price who is willing to take crap from every ignorant member of the public who thinks feds are overpaid you do not understand the market for engineers.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
There is no question that for people of limited skills at the bottom of the pyramid federal employment is a very good deal. But the pay is quite low for many professional positions. here is a typical current job ad for an expereinced engineer in a life critical job:

Civil Engineer at the Department of Energy
  • Duty Locations: New York City, NY and Chicago, IL
  • Major Duties: Inspect engineering evaluation and analysis of non-federal hydroelectric projects to insure the safety of the projects and compliance with the terms of the license, the provisions of the Federal Power Act and the Commission regulations. Review and perform evaluations and analyses; and prepare engineering reports to establish and document the dam safety, public safety, and environmental and license compliance of the Commission hydroelectric projects.
So this is a person who is doing life safety reviews on major Hydro power systems
The posted salary range for New York is
Salary Range: $68,625.00 - $89,217.00

If you think you can get a top engineer for that price who is willing to take crap from every ignorant member of the public who thinks feds are overpaid you do not understand the market for engineers.
No offense to feds or others who do this kind of work, but this is a "paperpusher" position as best as I can tell. Yes, it would require some limited engineering knowledge most likely. But read the description closely. "Inspect engineering evaluation and analysis... Review and perform evaluations and analyses; and prepare engineering reports". In other words, receive consultants' or underlings reports, read them (maybe), and regurgitate what the consultant told you into a report that gets stuck in a file somewhere, maybe after being advertised publicly for a certain period of time. Paperpushing at its finest, for a modest $68-89k plus generous benefits.

Worst case, a dam fails, kills a couple thousand people and you get transferred to a different division. Then the subsequent investigation by your agency squarely places blame on anyone but your agency. Maybe point some fingers at private consultants. Maybe blame "procedural hurdles and difficulty in interagency communications and coordination". Form a task force and a blue ribbon committee to study the issue. Maybe hire a management consultant to put together a nice bound report on how to avoid the problem in the future. Then stick that dust collector on the bookshelf and get back to business as usual. Call me a cynic...
Old 05-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I know locally the GS wages for technical people are pretty darn spiffy. If they had an opening in my areas of expertise I would be on it. And from having major fed agencies as clients of mine, and given the type of work I do, lets just say that I know the folks there aren't exactly burning the midnight oil. Watch your feet at 4:45 pm if you know what I mean. Not that there is anything wrong with that...