TSP Fund Allocation

Which TSP fund would you be inclined to move additional funds into?

• G - Government Securities

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • F- Govt, corp, and ntg backed bonds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C- Large & mid sized US companies

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • S- Small & nid sized US companies (not in C)

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • I - International stocks of 21 developed countries

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • L - One of the lifecycle funds

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm considering moving some of my TSP funds around and would be interested in you opinions. More than one choice is allowed in this poll.

Edit: couldn't fix typos after posting the poll.
F should be Govt, corp and mtg backed bonds
S should be Small and mid sized US companies (not in C)

I keep all of my TSP in the G fund. I use other holdings for stocks and other bonds. G Fund is a great cash equivalent holding spot.

TSP "S" is our fund of choice for small-cap stocks. I've toyed from time to time with figuring out how to move our tiny amount of deductible 1980s IRA contributions into there, but it'd be a lot of hassle for a little tweaking.

I agree with Donheff. I keep 90% of my TSP in the G fund. This is my largest fixed income/cash equivalent allocation. I have small amounts in the C and I funds. TSP is only 10% of my total investments. My other investments are heavily weighed toward stocks and stock mutual funds.

I'm still working, for another 2 years, and am being lazy & letting it ride in the L-2030. My vote, though...is for moving more into the S fund.

Anything but F. The G fits into my portfolio better. And I don't think the TSP I fund is as good as their other funds, you can get a more interesting mix of foreign stocks especially emerging markets outside of the I fund. Currently 40% G, 40% C 15% S and 5% I. REITs, foreign stocks & bonds and a collection of US stocks & ETFs are in my IRA. So far DWs 65% VG Wellesley/35% VG Star portfolio has beat my TSP indexed funds which have done better than the 1/3 portfolio of individual stocks & ETFs I manage myself.:blush:

The answer would depend on the current allocation of your total portfolio (need more info). Like a few others, I also use the G fund as my fixed income/cash so currently 100% G. During big drops in the market, I will do some market timing and move into S and I to benefit from the recovery (luckily there was a recovery from the latest crash).

I had been heavy in the g fund but several months ago moved 1/2 to life cycle income fund and remaining split between the C & S funds. Bit of market timing, in that I think the market will perform well next few years. Since DW has just 3 yrs to go before we start taking distros from her account she is split between G fund and the income fund.

I have most of my TSP funds in the L2020 and would likely put any new money if I could into one of the L funds. Not really planning to tap my TSP for 5 to 10 years so I have time. When I start drawing on it will likely go to the G fund for all of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom