Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
We buy our TT from this site SaveDealz. We've bought from here for several years. Never a problem. Download to our desktop. Their prices cannot be beat. TT Deluxe is $24.99 for Federal and State.
Thanks for the link.... it gives us another option...

I will just wait to see if Vanguard changes their mind with the feedback they are getting....

I would suggest everybody send in a complaint.... something might give way....

Heck, if they do not like TT, then offer me H&R block for free or discount...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 05:18 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Usually good deals on tax software in May. After the April rush and before the fall filing deadline.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:45 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 on SaveDealz. Ordered from them last year with no problems. Saved even more for 2015 by pre-ordering at $19.99 (now $24.99) for TT Deluxe w/ one state + e-file.

I'm not a big fan of Intuit but dread the idea of changing after using TT for so many years.
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I actually had a question on that. I need schedule D and schedule E and related depreciation schedules and prefer to e-file. Can I do that with Deluxe? If so then I'll go with that.

I have a faint recollection that with one of the TT versions you could fill out some schedules but not efile them but I don't recall the details.
I just wanted to share what I found out on this when talking with Intuit a few minutes ago. The download version of Deluxe allows one to do Schedules D and E and efile but to do that in the online version you need Premier. Since I prefer the download version anyway, I'll go with Deluxe.

The rep conceded that the online guide steered me to Premier when I said I had rental property because of the extras for phone consultations, etc and not due to any difference in functionality with respect to Schedules D or E.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just wanted to share what I found out on this when talking with Intuit a few minutes ago. The download version of Deluxe allows one to do Schedules D and E and efile but to do that in the online version you need Premier.

The rep conceded that the online guide steered me to Premier when I said I had rental property because of the extras for phone consultations, etc and not due to any difference in functionality with respect to Schedules D or E.
Sounds like TT is still playing marketing games, even after last year's big fiasco. This helps reinforce my decision to go elsewhere this year for my tax filing software.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

IIRC there have always been nuances of differences between the online and download versions... I agree that it is annoying.

I just don't care to change at this point and the price at SaveDealz was good enough($25).

Old 12-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

And then I get this email. Seems like they immediately start off calling Vanguard out:

"Dear Valued Customer,

For many years, Vanguard has offered TurboTax for free, or at a greatly reduced price, as a special benefit for select Vanguard clients. Unfortunately, Vanguard decided to discontinue this TurboTax program.

As a result of Vanguard's decision, you will no longer be able to get TurboTax at a heavily discounted price through Vanguard.com.

You may see TurboTax offered through Vanguard.com this year. However, using those links will not provide you a discount as they have in prior years. We hope that you'll continue to trust your taxes to TurboTax. You will still be able to download your Vanguard tax forms into TurboTax. In addition, we're pleased to offer you a discount of up to $20 off TurboTax federal products. Take advantage of this offer now.

If you have any questions or comments regarding Vanguard's decision, please contact Vanguard at 1-800-345-1344.

Sincerely,

Your TurboTax Team"
Old 12-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
And then I get this email. Seems like they immediately start off calling Vanguard out:

"Dear Valued Customer,

For many years, Vanguard has offered TurboTax for free, or at a greatly reduced price, as a special benefit for select Vanguard clients. Unfortunately, Vanguard decided to discontinue this TurboTax program.

As a result of Vanguard's decision, you will no longer be able to get TurboTax at a heavily discounted price through Vanguard.com.

You may see TurboTax offered through Vanguard.com this year. However, using those links will not provide you a discount as they have in prior years. We hope that you'll continue to trust your taxes to TurboTax. You will still be able to download your Vanguard tax forms into TurboTax. In addition, we're pleased to offer you a discount of up to $20 off TurboTax federal products. Take advantage of this offer now.

If you have any questions or comments regarding Vanguard's decision, please contact Vanguard at 1-800-345-1344.

Sincerely,

Your TurboTax Team"
Just got that email also. Gotta admire their style of forwarding Vanguard's number. Me thinks they want folks to call and complain to Vanguard.

Even with that $20 discount, the price of TT Deluxe for a desktop version is $49.99.

I'm way leaning towards getting from SaveDealz at $24.99.

But Taxcut is tempting too, as a matter of principle.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
But Taxcut is tempting too, as a matter of principle.
+1

I've used it in the past and had no problems. Switched to TT after Vanguard offered it free, but with that gone and after the problems last year, I'm going back to Taxcut.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
...I'm way leaning towards getting from SaveDealz at $24.99. ...
I just this morning bought TT Deluxe 2015 via SaveDealz downloaded it and have transferred all my 2015 estimated items (previously in TT 2014) and all is well.

Once you complete the purchase they send you an email with a link to the download site.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just this morning bought TT Deluxe 2015 via SaveDealz downloaded it and have transferred all my 2015 estimated items (previously in TT 2014) and all is well.

Once you complete the purchase they send you an email with a link to the download site.
Wow, nice price. How do they do this?

The site is pretty clearly foreign. They hide their domain identity behind a registrar from Panama. The FAQ and Terms grammar issues give it away with the plural/possessive mix-ups, additions and drops.

Quote:
Terms and Condition

How can you sell your program's at a low price?

No, We only sell Genuine software's
Not saying the site is bad or illegal, just observing...
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I was skeptical as well when I first looked at it... but decided to proceed after a number of positive comments on this thread.

On the grammar et al, while I agree with you that it's probably foreign... given where the educational system in this country is going it might be a couple Gen Zs. (just kidding)

Old 12-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was skeptical as well when I first looked at it... but decided to proceed after a number of positive comments on this thread.

On the grammar et al, while I agree with you that it's probably foreign... given where the educational system in this country is going it might be a couple Gen Zs. (just kidding)
Haven't bought yet. Maybe I should wait a bit to see if folks here get hacked .

I did notice on the site that there's no "About Us" link which describes the company.

Yet, $24.99 is a sweet deal.

Decisions, decisions ...
Old 12-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Did some poking around. How do you feel about 66% legit? According to scamadvisor at least.

p.s. I do want to thank Miss Molly for the word about savedealz.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. I got back on savedealz using the link above, put an item into the cart and went to the page where you put in your name and address information. It is a secure site (https) and the site info refers to a mybigcommerce.com. mybigcommerce.com is trusted on scamadviser.com.

I'll let you know if I have any issues.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Here's another thing that concerned me a bit, on their home page:

Quote:
Please do not advertise our website on blogs or forums such as fatwalet, slickdeal and etc, we have it cover and don't like to be over advertise.

Disregarding the misspellings and poor grammar, this makes it sound to me like they want to stay off Intuit's radar. I wonder if you'd get any support at all from Intuit? When you buy, does their link actually take you to Intuit's site for the download, or their own?

It may be safe from malware, but may not be legal. Like purchasing a pirated movie?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Here's another thing that concerned me a bit, on their home page:

Disregarding the misspellings and poor grammar, this makes it sound to me like they want to stay off Intuit's radar. I wonder if you'd get any support at all from Intuit? When you buy, does their link actually take you to Intuit's site for the download, or their own?

It may be safe from malware, but may not be legal. Like purchasing a pirated movie?
Yeah, I saw that too and found it strange. The link to the download goes to a mybigcommerce.com site and that site is considered trusted by scamadvisor.com.

After the install, the federal return updates and state software downloaded like they normally do through the TT software so I see that as a good sign.

I guess worst case, I made a $25 mistake...best case I saved $15... time will tell.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that too and found it strange. The link to the download goes to a mybigcommerce.com site and that site is considered trusted by scamadvisor.com.

After the install, the federal return updates and state software downloaded like they normally do through the TT software so I see that as a good sign.

I guess worst case, I made a $25 mistake...best case I saved $15... time will tell.
Well, worst case, you could be charged with buying pirated software, if that's what it is. The likelihood of that happening are slim to none, but they probably can't reach the company in Panama, so I suppose they could tell Intuit they have the right to charge you full price for it (on top of the $25 which didn't get to Intuit).

If you wanted to know for sure, you could ask Intuit if this is an authorized, legal version.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got word from my Fido Private Client rep, they are using the same processes as last year for TTax. For me, that means I buy the version, I want and they credit my account.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

OK, I went back and found my previous purchase, and it was kingdeals4u.com, not savedealz.com. They are pretty obviously selling pirated software, as Intuit chases them down every year and they have to shut down the old domain and start a new one. This discussion from Fatwallet covers the topic to some extent.

So it probably is pirated software, although it definitely works. But I'm removing my recommendation, since my credit card info did get stolen a couple of times last year. I don't think it was them, but you never know. Personally I think it happened at Best Buy the last time.