Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Just got word from my Fido Private Client rep, they are using the same processes as last year for TTax. For me, that means I buy the version, I want and they credit my account.
Nwsteve
Ahhhh..... Tnx for that nwsteve. Have you noticed anything on the Fido web site I could grab to forward to my Schwab rep so he'll credit my account for the $49.99 I paid Amazon for my CD of Deluxe?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
OK, I went back and found my previous purchase, and it was kingdeals4u.com, not savedealz.com. They are pretty obviously selling pirated software, as Intuit chases them down every year and they have to shut down the old domain and start a new one. This discussion from Fatwallet covers the topic to some extent.

So it probably is pirated software, although it definitely works. But I'm removing my recommendation, since my credit card info did get stolen a couple of times last year. I don't think it was them, but you never know. Personally I think it happened at Best Buy the last time.
Ah, I see. So I was wondering, harley, why my whois search was show the web site created last May 2015. This explains it -- it wasn't the same name as last year.

For everyone out there: if you don't know what "whois" is, well, it is a way to check some of the registration information for a domain site. It is not a foolproof way to verify authenticity, but it helps. Most legitimate businesses will register with their real address. Shady businesses register with "privacy". And then the really shady ones will point back to known troublesome countries. The information can be a bit arcane, but is generally understandable.

As a geek, I simply go to my linux screen and type "whois savedealz.com". For everyone else, WHOIS Search | ICANN WHOIS is a trustworthy source. So, here is that whois record. Remember, this is public information, no trade secrets here:

Quote:
Domain Name: SAVEDEALZ.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1925297004_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.enom.com
Registrar URL: eNom - domain name, web site hosting, email, registration
Updated Date: 2015-05-02T18:42:16.00Z
Creation Date: 2015-05-03T01:42:00.00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2016-05-03T01:42:00.00Z
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Registrar IANA ID: 48
Reseller: NAMECHEAP.COM
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: WHOISGUARD PROTECTED
Registrant Organization: WHOISGUARD, INC.
Registrant Street: P.O. BOX 0823-03411
Registrant City: PANAMA
Registrant State/Province: PANAMA
Registrant Postal Code: 00000
Registrant Country: PA
Registrant Phone: +507.8365503
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +51.17057182
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: DC333BD9BB5F4B79912A2F4020E8E34F.PRO...OISGUAR D.COM
Registry Admin ID:
<ETC>
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

From this discussion, I'm gonna steer clear of the SaveDealz thing. (Another, it's a matter of principle ).

Looks like either I'll get shaken down by Intuit and just by from them or wait a few months as prices then to drop then at Amazon, Wally World, office stores.

Of course, there's the Taxcut temptation too.

Oh, also, I'm not gonna move everything to Fido just to get the freebie .
Old 12-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Ahhhh..... Tnx for that nwsteve. Have you noticed anything on the Fido web site I could grab to forward to my Schwab rep so he'll credit my account for the $49.99 I paid Amazon for my CD of Deluxe?
Sorry, have not seen anything as yet. I got the direction when I directly asked my rep--failed to mention to her that Vanguard had dropped benefit ;-).
Only thing new, I noticed when I on the website a few minutes ago is a link for updated mutual fund distribution data
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
OK, I went back and found my previous purchase, and it was kingdeals4u.com, not savedealz.com. They are pretty obviously selling pirated software, as Intuit chases them down every year and they have to shut down the old domain and start a new one. This discussion from Fatwallet covers the topic to some extent.

So it probably is pirated software, although it definitely works. But I'm removing my recommendation, since my credit card info did get stolen a couple of times last year. I don't think it was them, but you never know. Personally I think it happened at Best Buy the last time.
I would also worry that software downloaded from some third party site offering a significant discount, had stuff added that might be compromising my computer, or passing along sensitive information about my taxes and finances to a third party.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just got word from my Fido Private Client rep, they are using the same processes as last year for TTax. For me, that means I buy the version, I want and they credit my account.
Nwsteve
Good - I'll work with them on it this year again. It's the only perk I get from Fido, so I think they'll be happy to accommodate me.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yeah, I saw that too and found it strange. The link to the download goes to a mybigcommerce.com site and that site is considered trusted by scamadvisor.com.

After the install, the federal return updates and state software downloaded like they normally do through the TT software so I see that as a good sign.

I guess worst case, I made a $25 mistake...best case I saved $15... time will tell.
Mybigcommerce is just a web hosting ecommerce server. That tells you little about the legitimacy of savedealz. Scamadviser shows other sites hosted there and the trust ratings are generally quite low. One is 10%... an obvious scam site. Very sketchy.

Based on what I've seen, I would not buy TT from savedealz. There's a high probability they're selling pirated software. Why would they ask you (in broken English) to NOT mention them on forums about saving money? Why do they change domain names every year?

Seems to me, your worst case is not just losing $25, but potentially getting your personal identity stolen via malicious code that's been inserted.

If you go to the Q&A section of intuit.com, you'll find many questions about the legitimacy of certain online resellers with names like bigdeals4all, intuitsoft, cheapitemsonline, turbotaxsite, etc. All the ones I saw were NOT authorized resellers according to the official Intuit response. Just one of many examples:

Quote:
Question: The website SmartSof.com is offering TurboTax Deluxe for $24.95 as a download. Is this an authorized dealer?

Answer: Smartsof is not an authorized re-seller for TurboTax or Quicken download products.
I saw two answers which indicated that the only authorized online resellers (those without a physical retail store) are Amazon, Newegg, and TigerDirect. I also called Intuit and was given the same response (minus TigerDirect). They could not specifically comment about savedealz, but said they would investigate the site. They also emphasized that they would not support software purchased from an unauthorized dealer.

Caveat Emptor.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry, have not seen anything as yet. I got the direction when I directly asked my rep--failed to mention to her that Vanguard had dropped benefit ;-).
Only thing new, I noticed when I on the website a few minutes ago is a link for updated mutual fund distribution data
Nwsteve
Thanks nwsteve. I have no reason to go to the Fido site, so if you think of it and you see something, let me know. That's all I would need to be able to let my Schwab rep know they have a competitor's perk to match.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #69

The amazon deal from cyber monday was still valid today. Premiere for $20 less than turbotax.com charges.
(I need premiere because of rental property.)
Old 12-04-2015, 06:41 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
The amazon deal from cyber monday was still valid today. Premiere for $20 less than turbotax.com charges.
I thought I needed Premier due to rental property too... that is what Intuit steers you to.... but after talking with a TT CSR who indicated that Deluxe can do Schedules D and E and efile I decided to go with Deluxe. I can always upgrade later if I need to.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:19 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Got it.

Now if Vanguard reneges on their plan to not give it away, then I'll be irked! I don't think Vanguard should be in any sort of relationship with Intuit. I got the mail from Intuit too, and I thought it was low class. Reminds me of these shady "action committees" you see on television ads that tell you to "call your congress person."

I still get Premier because it makes it easy to deal with employee options and ESPP. I could do it by hand, but it is just too easy to let TT do it. By the way, the ESPP/NQSO wizards used to be in Deluxe, but years ago they moved it. I guess that worked so well for Intuit they tried the same strategy last year on Sched D. And then a riot occurred.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #72

Quote:
Costco also is offering on their website the same prices and free shipping for all. ;-)
Nwsteve
Old 12-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #73

rodi,

Why do you need Premier for rental properties? Capital gains comps?

I have a separate thread on the topic and everyone says Deluxe is sufficient for rental properties ...

Help!?
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Nwsteve
I was told by Fidelity that I would qualify for free TurboTax, but that it was only the on-line version this year, not the desktop version (download/CD), and that it would not be available until January.
523HRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Well, it has been awhile and I had not seen this thread pop up so I had not put down my info.... but, since it got bumped I will...

I did write to my rep and was told that offering TT was not in the interest of Vanguard etc. etc. etc.... if you write to them they will give you the canned answer... nothing special about mine...

I did mention to them that I thought that taking away such a visible perk that probably cost them nothing for regular investors and maybe $20 for the top customers was not a smart decision... I think that the negative feelings will cost more than the dollars saved....

However, since this is such a small expense to Vanguard they will probably never really know the true cost of this decision....

BTW, I said that if it was due to TT making a stupid decision last year on their product then they could have offered another tax program.... I am sure a number of them would LOVE to have their product sold through the Vanguard site...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by 523HRR View Post
I was told by Fidelity that I would qualify for free TurboTax, but that it was only the on-line version this year, not the desktop version (download/CD), and that it would not be available until January.
Fidelity always does it in January. Last year was the first time I got the freebie, and my rep just gave me the secret code that let me download TT for free. I'll be asking him again next month.

I think this sort of thing varies by what your local rep thinks is best. Mine does other things that mean more to me (both financially and intrinsically), so that's a consideration. Basically, I think if you have a dedicated personal rep at any firm, it's worthwhile cultivating a relationship with him or her and seeing what might develop.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I did mention to them that I thought that taking away such a visible perk that probably cost them nothing for regular investors and maybe $20 for the top customers was not a smart decision... I think that the negative feelings will cost more than the dollars saved....
Intuit has betrayed my trust on two separate occasions. Vanguard shouldn't shackle themselves to them.
And if it costs Vanguard >anything<, then I don't want them offering a discount on tax software, underwear, car insurance, or anything else--cut the ERs of their funds instead, or use the money to improve service in some way. If it costs them something, then it costs >me< something (since I own the company, like anyone who has Vanguard funds).

Vanguard should stick to the core business and keeping their reputation unsullied. It has worked for them so far.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 523HRR View Post
FWIW, I purchased my copy from Amazon and emailed the receipt to my Private Client Rep, and got a credit for it in my account the next day.
Even though we are Private Client we get few bene's as we live in a rural area and our nearest Fido bricks and mortar location is 300 miles away. Perhaps, they feel, it is a pittance given some of the other bene's our more urban "cousins" receive. I have also given my rep some major grief over some of the flaws in the newly released version of RIP, so maybe so "make nice"
Nwsteve
TT and Vanguard
Old 12-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #79

TT and Vanguard

I'm surprised people expect Vanguard to buy 3rd party software and give it to some shareholders for free. Should they buy Microsoft office, IPads, and Amazon gift certificates too?

Makes no sense to me. If you want a product buy it yourself.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I'm surprised people expect Vanguard to buy 3rd party software and give it to some shareholders for free. Should they buy Microsoft office, IPads, Amazon gift certificates too?

Makes no sense to me. If you want a product buy it yourself.
Of course you are right. However, there are some folks here that have $ millions + in Vanguard and it always seemed "nice" to get the TT "perk". Is the absence of such a thing going to make me pull my funds out of Vanguard? of course not. And it has been pointed out, most everything Vanguard does to lower costs ultimately benefits me in the way of lower fund fees. I already bought TaxAct anyway...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote