TT and Vanguard

MC1550

Dryer sheet wannabe
maybe old news, but just received an email from Vanguard explaining their latest news on Turbo Tax....

Update for TurboTax users
Vanguard will continue to offer access to TurboTax® products to clients on our website, but we're discontinuing our discounted and complimentary offerings beginning with the 2015 tax season. During a recent review, we decided to align our offerings with Vanguard's core investment products and services.

Rest assured that you'll still be able to import Vanguard-generated tax forms into TurboTax through our website if you wish, and we'll continue to assist you with any technical issues that may occur when importing your forms. If you prefer to file your taxes online, we recommend that you go directly to the TurboTax website or another provider to obtain any available discounts.

Uh...... So, Vanguard isn't giving away TT? Is that what that says? Anyone know about the Fidelity status? I just need some Schwab competitor to offer free or highly discounted TT so I can whine to Schwab for a "courtesy adjustment" to my account since Schwab doesn't give away TT.

Last edited:
News to me, confirmed by several VG account holders on Bogleheads. No discounts for anyone in 2015-16. Hmmmmmm...

Much as I will miss the free TT, I think it is in Vanguard's best interest to do this.

For what it is worth, most TT items are still on sale today on Amazon from cyber Monday. And they added back the items they took away last year in TT.

Also discontinued linking to outside accounts for balances. Talked with rep last night to straighten out multiple problems, with no resolution yet. Vanguard is definitely cutting benefits provided previously to users. Several bad signs, IMO.

Also discontinued linking to outside accounts for balances. Talked with rep last night to straighten out multiple problems, with no resolution yet. Vanguard is definitely cutting benefits provided previously to users. Several bad signs, IMO.

Do you mean like Quicken??

I noticed the linking being dropped yesterday. Bummer about TT. Oh well...

When seeing no TT to download around Thanksgiving, I concluded this dark, dark day would arrive.

I'll still stick with TT (well, at least for now).

Last edited:
Best price I can find for Premier PC download is $70 on Amazon. Anyone find a better deal?

Looks like I am going to Taxact for $22...

H&R and TT are now in the $50 to $60 or more range....

Kinda POed that Vanguard is cutting this from our benefits...

That is good news. Lower expenses for Vanguard members overall (assuming Vanguard had to pay TT previously). Taxact works fine and is free.

Getting TT free with my VG account made it an easy choice for many years. But when you consider like features, TT is the most expensive package, so it's likely I'll give TaxAct a try this year. YMMV
pcmag said:
Editors' Choice

Our Editors' Choice for the 2014 tax filing year is once again TaxACT Deluxe. TurboTax had won this award for many years running prior to 2013, but a few things kept it from winning this year and last. First, it stopped supporting some IRS documents that are widely used, such as Schedule C (small business income and expenses). You'll have to use a more-expensive version for those forms. And, even so, it's also quite expensive—far away the most-costly of the services I've reviewed this year, innovative free option aside. Furthermore, and probably most troubling, the tax help that it offers within the site's interview—good as it is—contains links to an Intuit website (AnswerXchange) that anyone can post answers to.
The Best Tax Software for 2015 | PCMag.com

That is good news. Lower expenses for Vanguard members overall (assuming Vanguard had to pay TT previously). Taxact works fine and is free.

Taxact is free? As in Free to try and only pay at filing time? Or Free Free? :)

I have used for several years including electronic filing and never paid a cent (free free). 😄

Update: just looked at website and looks like it is no longer free if you itemize. Bummer.

Last edited:
Last year I switched to H&R Block and this November I got their Premium + State for $60 (vs $99.95 TT version). They offer $20 off if you sign for purchase prior to release (Nov 16).

Best price I can find for Premier PC download is $70 on Amazon. Anyone find a better deal?

Premier is really overkill for most of us, I think.

Deluxe is adequate and $50 on Amazon for Fed and state.

Costco also usually has a good price in January.

I cut all ties to VG (moved the last of what was once north of $7 million there a few months ago) because of their crappy website, worse policies and even worse customer service. So glad I did. After moving all my money, they dinged me for a $4.95 fee for some garbage. Took a month and a FINRA complaint to get them to straighten it out. Still trying to get them to close my accounts so they can't screw anything else up. Supposed Flagship rep never returned calls.

Premier is really overkill for most of us, I think.

Deluxe is adequate and $50 on Amazon for Fed and state.

Costco also usually has a good price in January.

I actually had a question on that. I need schedule D and schedule E and related depreciation schedules and prefer to e-file. Can I do that with Deluxe? If so then I'll go with that.

I have a faint recollection that with one of the TT versions you could fill out some schedules but not efile them but I don't recall the details.

I cut all ties to VG (moved the last of what was once north of $7 million there a few months ago) because of their crappy website, worse policies and even worse customer service. So glad I did. After moving all my money, they dinged me for a $4.95 fee for some garbage. Took a month and a FINRA complaint to get them to straighten it out. Still trying to get them to close my accounts so they can't screw anything else up. Supposed Flagship rep never returned calls.
Just found out that web upgrades killed off at least one nice feature--ablity to make contributions to my SEP-IRA:

A recent update to the website has caused an error related to SEP-IRA contributions and may prevent you from making the contribution online. We are working diligently to resolve this, however, we would request that in the mean time you call and make contributions to your SEP-IRA with a representative over the phone.

After the beginning of the year, I'll start looking at other options. I never thought I'd fall out of love with Vanguard.

With the issues that TurboTax had last year I'm not surprised that Vanguard cut ties.

Went ahead and bought Tax Cut yesterday for $22. Done with Turbo Tax. Too bad Vanguard no longer offering the TT deal but can't blame them after last years fiasco.

Back
Top Bottom