Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The reason we used TurboTax this year was Fidelity let us download it for free.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Someone used TurboTax to file my 2014 return
Old 03-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

Someone used TurboTax to file my 2014 return

It happened to me. Someone filed a return using TurboTax to collect my expected refund. The return was filed by Turbotax on March 9, 2015 and was accepted by the IRS minutes later. The return included only items I had put in earlier and included only my W-2 and pensions - nothing from Vanguard. The return filed was a 1040A which I haven't used in years, if ever, as I itemize deductions. Anyway I received a nice letter from the IRS on Saturday saying they had upped "my" refund since I forgot to include my Estimated Tax Payments and they would be sending me a MUCH large refund. According to the notice if I agreed with their calculations I would be getting the refund in 4-6 weeks. Well the IRS outdid themselves and direct deposited the refund to the perp's account on March 18th. I don't have any idea how this happened but I never received any notice from TurboTax that I had filed so I guess the perp "stole" my TurboTax information and had any correspondence sent to his e-mail.
From the IRS standpoint there is an easy way to prevent this. Beware!!!!

Old 03-30-2015, 10:10 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger56 View Post
It happened to me. Someone filed a return using TurboTax to collect my expected refund. The return was filed by Turbotax on March 9, 2015 and was accepted by the IRS minutes later. The return included only items I had put in earlier and included only my W-2 and pensions - nothing from Vanguard. The return filed was a 1040A which I haven't used in years, if ever, as I itemize deductions. Anyway I received a nice letter from the IRS on Saturday saying they had upped "my" refund since I forgot to include my Estimated Tax Payments and they would be sending me a MUCH large refund. According to the notice if I agreed with their calculations I would be getting the refund in 4-6 weeks. Well the IRS outdid themselves and direct deposited the refund to the perp's account on March 18th. I don't have any idea how this happened but I never received any notice from TurboTax that I had filed so I guess the perp "stole" my TurboTax information and had any correspondence sent to his e-mail.
From the IRS standpoint there is an easy way to prevent this. Beware!!!!
Were you using the online version of TT and had a partial return completed?
Old 04-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I just filed my Ohio taxes and have a refund coming. The state mailed DW and I letters with an authentication code--we had to go to a state web site and enter that code and amt of refund, then fill out a quiz with items based on our financial records (previous addresses, price paid for home, etc).
We just got our verification letters today. When we went to the website for the quiz, we found some of the most arcane questions we've ever seen. Far harder to answer than any question on the credit bureau tests.

One of them required knowledge of an obscure three word phrase in the middle of our home's legal deed description, which runs to a page and a half of single spaced type. If I didn't have a good memory, and I wasn't the type of person who actually reads such things, I never would have passed.

Very impressive work from the Ohio tax department!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

this is from the Turbotax answer forum. They have a FAQ but have not fixed the problem in 2 weeks!! Not a security issue but if it made my bank account blow up from excess withdrawal I would be crazed mad.Notice that TT throws the responsibility back on the user.

quote VThis is a known issue and we are working to have it corrected. We do recommend that you still contact the IRS and they can assist you with getting this corrected. In the meantime, please sign-up in the FAQ below to be notified of any updates on this issue.

Some customers are experiencing a greater amount due being generated when filing with Easy Extension. When customers enter a decimal in the amount due box i.e. $500.00 the amount transferred is $50,000.

**NOTE** This is only occurring when a decimal is entered into the lower payment field
Old 04-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Wow, OK, that is pretty bad!!!!!

I absolutely do not give Turbo Tax instructions for withdrawal/payment. I tell it I will be making payment some other way. I use eftps to do all my tax payments. In over ten years I have never had the IRS withdraw the wrong amount.