Turbo-Tax driving me up a tree

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am trying to finish my 2015 tax forms. Fr some years I have used Turbo-Tax, but this year I made some taxable sales of royalty trust units. As you own these, you deduct depletion from the cash you receive. This is supposed to decrease basis as an offset. A very simple idea, and easy to do manually, but Turbo-Tax makes anything like this maddening. I haven't figured out how, or if, I can just do manual IRS form entries and skip all TT's worksheets. Just use TT as a glorified adding machine and arithmetic check.

I think I remember some people here posting that they used it this way, but I cannot remember. I try the overrides, but it usually seems to come around and refuse to let me do it.

Any ideas?

Also, is there a simpler program over which I can have more control for future years?

Thanks for any help,

Ha

I am trying to finish my 2015 tax forms. Fr some years I have used Turbo-Tax, but this year I made some taxable sales of royalty trust units. As you own these, you deduct depletion from the cash you receive. This is supposed to decrease basis as an offset. A very simple idea, and easy to do manually, but Turbo-Tax makes anything like this maddening. I haven't figured out how, or if, I can just do manual IRS form entries and skip all TT's worksheets. Just use TT as a glorified adding machine and arithmetic check.

I think I remember some people here posting that they used it this way, but I cannot remember. I try the overrides, but it usually seems to come around and refuse to let me do it.

Any ideas?

Also, is there a simpler program over which I can have more control for future years?

Thanks for any help,

Ha

Are you in forms mode? If so you can find the appropriate form on the list, and enter the items using the override button.

Back
Top Bottom