Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This year Quicken hit me with their every three year extortion to either upgrade Quicken or lose the ability to get on line information after March. Amazon had a deal where you got extra off their Quicken price if you also bought Turbo Tax. I think I paid about $10 to get TT Deluxe over the Amazon Quicken 2014 price.

TT Deluxe (disk version) has the full Schedule D which I need. It updated last years H&R Block tax info into this years return perfectly and it doesn't look any different than if I had used TT last year.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You're griping about a $5 increase? Must be a slow day.
It's the principle

Old 01-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by d View Post
what am I missing? just checked TT website ... both Basic and Deluxe, both Online and CD/Download, list Schedule D among their included forms.
This is the answer TT is showing when I typed in schedule D: "Schedule D is for Capital Gains & Losses, if you need a Schedule D you would have to upgrade to the Premier version for Online."

Check this out for forms included/not included (click on forms tab): https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal...ine/deluxe.jsp
Old 01-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
This is the answer TT is showing when I typed in schedule D: "Schedule D is for Capital Gains & Losses, if you need a Schedule D you would have to upgrade to the Premier version for Online."

Check this out for forms included/not included (click on forms tab): https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal...ine/deluxe.jsp
Note that this is the online version, which IMHO leaves you at least a little bit more open to hacking. The disk version which costs about $30 more provides this. The premier online costs $10 less than the deluxe cd version.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #25

I need schedule E.

TaxAct = free

TT = Way too expensive IMO.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that this is the online version
Not a TT user but their website product comparison shows Schedule D in all version. online and download.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare.jsp
Old 01-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Not a TT user but their website product comparison shows Schedule D in all version. online and download.

I see that. Has TT changed something? I am sure recall they didn't include Schedule D in the online version last I checked, about a week ago.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #28

On another page they actually show it not included.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal...ine/deluxe.jsp
Old 01-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post

I think you caught Turbotax getting lost in all their marketing ploys. This link is enough to call customer support and demand an upgrade to an online version that includes Sch D (Premier or other), ask for the CD version of Deluxe or get a refund if you wish. Someone had to proof read this and they really screwed up.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
I think you caught Turbotax getting lost in all their marketing ploys. This link is enough to call customer support and demand an upgrade to an online version that includes Sch D (Premier or other), ask for the CD version of Deluxe or get a refund if you wish. Someone had to proof read this and they really screwed up.
Thanks so much; I called TT and they told me to keep using the Premier Package. They gave me a code to enter at the end in which I will only be charged for the Deluxe.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #31

Note that premier is said to be able to help you recover a basis that you do not have (I guess it consults the on-line stock tables). This does become less necessary as time goes on and more and more investments fall under the covered rules.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Thanks so much; I called TT and they told me to keep using the Premier Package. They gave me a code to enter at the end in which I will only be charged for the Deluxe.
I'm happy they gave you access to the forms you needed. Hopefully they admitted there was a problem and gave you an apology too.

Last year there was an issue w/the Fidelity Premiere online and it got posted to forums and thousands got in on the offer. I read that Turbotax handed out free codes for Premier until they got wind that people were illegally accessing this offer.