Join Early Retirement Today

Turbo Tax Q - what is my IRA Information Worksheet telling me?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Turbo Tax Q - what is my IRA Information Worksheet telling me?

In summary:
1) I made a dumb mistake on my 2010 Fed Taxes
2) I fixed it on my 2011 taxes according to IRS instructions
3) I’m not quite sure what my IRA Information worksheet is telling me. It’s generated inside Turbo Tax

Details:
1) In 2010 I made an excess contribution to my Roth IRA. It was only $10, but it was excess over my limit. I payed the 6% penalty for the year ($1) and decided I would fix it in 2011.
2) In 2011, I withdrew the $10 and appropriately explained to the fiduciary that it was a removal of the excess contribution from the prior year. I received a proper 1099-R with the correct codes of J and P (removal of excess contribution from prior year). Again I payed the 6% penalty for carrying the excess contribution into the 2nd year.
3) When I printed out my tax forms for review, the $10 amount shows up on the following lines of the IRA Information Worksheet:

Part II Line 6.......... Basis in Roth IRA Contributions.....................$10
Part II Line 8...........Contribution basis carryover.........................$10
Part II Line 10.........Excess contributions as of 12/31/2010...........$10
Part II Line 11.........Carryover of excess contributions to 2012.......$10
Part VI Line 31........Cumulative regular Roth IRA contributions.......$10

My mistake should be resolved, but I don’t know if Turbo Tax agrees.

My questions are:
1) Line 11 seems to indicate that my excess contribution will carryover into 2012, even though Turbo Tax knows I withdrew the excess in 2011 based on the 1099-R. Am I misinterpreting the meaning of line 11?
2) Does it appear that Turbo Tax will want to ding me again with the 6% penalty when I prepare my 2012 taxes?
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

a 1099r code P for prior year indicates amending the 2010 return.
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote