Join Early Retirement Today

Turbo Tax users preparing multiple returns...
Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Turbo Tax users preparing multiple returns...

I just found out that the 2008 version of Turbo Tax will charge an additional $9.95 per additional return. You can't even prepare a return without an Internet connection so they can make sure your copy/account hasn't prepared more than one return.

That's not just e-filing; that's ANY return, even printed. In the past I've e-filed our return and printed out my mom's return (and mailed it to her to sign and send in.) This year, it would cost me an extra $10 just to print out her return, and the software wouldn't let me do it until I've paid to *print* the second return.

I've been a TT user for over 10 years. But I'm done after this charge. It's bad enough that Intuit has made the Mac version of Quicken a buggy, barely supported piece of junk. Now this?

Any recommendations for other programs? I was thinking about Tax Cut. Opinions?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

used tax cut once and didn't like it very much

if your mom makes very little money then TT and other software makers will let her prepare and -e-file a return for free. i do it for my wife's grandparents every year
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Any recommendations for other programs? I was thinking about Tax Cut. Opinions?
I switched from TT to TaxCut several years back, when Intuit decided to treat customers like criminals with their short-lived product activation scheme. That was perhaps the best thing that ever happened for TaxCut - they picked up tons of new customers.

Haven't looked back since - works every bit as well for my needs.
Da Nag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #4

Get Tax Act (Paid Version) $12.95 and you can do up to 3 returns legally with one copy of the program - Actually, can do a lot more but then that would be cheating. The preview version is available now with final coming in January (data done now will transfer). File Taxes Online - Do Taxes FREE - File Taxes With TaxACT.

If you are doing simple returns, and the AGI is low (below something like $52.5K or less), you can do the return free using the IRS web site/program. Check out the IRS Site. WWW.IRS.GOV.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Nag View Post
I switched from TT to TaxCut several years back, when Intuit decided to treat customers like criminals with their short-lived product activation scheme.
Are you talking about the way they intentionally cripple Quicken after three years by disabling online services -- to force users to upgrade? That was pretty insidious, too. I can understand not *supporting* very old versions, but intentionally breaking them is another matter entirely...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've used TaxCut for several years without a problem.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #7

This does not surprise me at all. I can't tell you how many tax preparers have used Turbo tax to prepare returns for clients.

Most of the professional tax packages (even Intuits own called Pro Series) are not much more than Turbo tax with a different interface.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #8

2003 i went to a CPA to get taxes done and he used a program which looked just like Turbo Tax but was probably some "professional" edition that they charge a lot more for
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Are you talking about the way they intentionally cripple Quicken after three years by disabling online services -- to force users to upgrade?
Nope, but that's another reason I avoid them. Intuit is right near the top of my "avoid at all costs" software companies.

TT decided to include product activation as an anti-piracy measure several years back. Problem is, it prevented legitimate usage - many people, myself included, install tax software on multiple computers, but only prepare a single return. Once installed on the first PC, any subsequent install would fail.

Setting aside the multiple PC scenario, product activation bites you when upgrading/replacing hardware. This is particularly troublesome with tax software, as it's something you need to have available for years to come (think AUDIT.) Depending on the vendor to grant me permission to install a paid for version from a previous year, not only chaps my hide, but is an unacceptable risk for tax software.
Da Nag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
2003 i went to a CPA to get taxes done and he used a program which looked just like Turbo Tax but was probably some "professional" edition that they charge a lot more for
That would be ProSeries. It's the pro version of Turbo Tax. It starts at around $500 and goes up from there. You can also pay per return which IIRC is about $25-30 per return.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I just found out that the 2008 version of Turbo Tax will charge an additional $9.95 per additional return. You can't even prepare a return without an Internet connection so they can make sure your copy/account hasn't prepared more than one return.
I often used to make several returns as a what if scenario throughout the year, depending on what financial investments I would make, and changing expense categories. Helped me in decisions of starting a business as a partnership vrs. corp. Does this also eliminate or make me pay the 9.95 for each of those type scenarios as well?
Seems ripe for a suit in preventing legitimate use of a product.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

TurboTax Removes E-file Fees
I don't know what all this means. I'll think about it next year.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I don't know what all this means. I'll think about it next year.

It means you can file your return electronically without charge using Turbo Tax. I think the fee was $14.95, but I have used TT for several years.

Try TaxAct (see URL in above message) for $12.95 and free filing, beats the cost of TT and does the same job.

-- Rita
Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I just loaded Turbo Tax 2008 on 3 PCs to test and it all worked fine. No problems. I am exploring the printing options now, but do not see any limitations.

Am I the only person who has TT 2008? Or are the folk here talking from experience or hearsay?

SWR
Old 12-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I have been using online turbotax (which I get at a discount through Vanguard) and will continue to do so. I also use Quicken. Personally I think that Turbotax and Quicken are still pretty cheap. I used to have my taxes done by HR Block and it usually cost me at least 10 times as much as Turbotax. As for Quicken, even if I have to upgrade every 3 years, I think that it has paid for itself many times over. I also help my MIL with her tax returns, but she pays for her own turbotax.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
IAs for Quicken, even if I have to upgrade every 3 years, I think that it has paid for itself many times over.
That's true, I suppose, even for the relatively junky/buggy Mac version.

But to me it's just slimy to intentionally *break* a piece of consumer software to force an upgrade. Desupport it after a while, sure. But intentionally time-bombing online features is rather despicable.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But to me it's just slimy to intentionally *break* a piece of consumer software to force an upgrade. Desupport it after a while, sure. But intentionally time-bombing online features is rather despicable.
It's slimy no doubt! And the day I perceive that Intuit's products don't pay for themselves anymore, I'll be the first out of the door too! But for now, I'll stick with them.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've used TaxCut for several years without a problem.
Do you know if TAxCut has a version that supports more advanced issues like investment real estate? I tried to save money one year by not buying the Deluxe? TurboTax. Boy was THAT a mistake.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #19

I have been using Tax Cut for serveral years without any major problems.
I get a "discount" through Trowe Price but Tax Cut is still cheaper. I don't think Turbo Tax is any better. They are just cashing in on their brand recognition.

I always mail my return in.

Free
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #20

Any of you work for a software company?

I work for one which charges customers around a million or two or three or 4 hundred (million) for licenses. More than likely TT/ intuit was seeing license revenue (their main money maker) go down, so the obvious method is to crack down on piracy. My company has a more complex licensing method we use to prevent piracy, but the technology behind that is probably more complex for the average PC user.

Intuit spends millions to update their software. It's OK for them to charge people to use that software to recoup their costs.