Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Turbo Tax via Fidelity:$20 discount is best I could find
Old 12-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Turbo Tax via Fidelity:$20 discount is best I could find

I think I'll dive into TT to do my own pro-forma returns and was reading about the 'deals' other FIRE members were getting with Vanguard and Fidelity.

I have several accounts at Fidelity, but the best deal I saw on TT was $20 'off' and a price of $34 for Premier.

Should I jump on that? Or are there better deals out there on TT?
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Try calling your rep and see if they will give it to you for free.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #3

I just asked my Fidelity rep yesterday. Last year he sent Private Client customers a TT Deluxe CD for free if we asked.
This year my answer was no CDs would be sent, just the 20% off through the website, which would be $75 for Premier.
I can get a better price ($70) on Premier at Costco, so that will be my choice.
I will not use a TT online version, only something I can install on my own machine.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are private clients and our rep reimbursed our cost for Premier 100%. Scanned the receipt and got funds added to our cash reserves/
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #5

I called my rep - left a voicemail asking getting TT...we'll see....
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #6

The free offer this year is online Premier, no CD or download for Private Client customers. There is no online link right now for this free offer, but you can call to have them reimburse you the $35 cost. If you can get your own rep to reimburse you all the better. I don't feel comfortable using the online version and prefer a download or CD.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #7

This was offered up by MissMolly on a previous thread - "Schedule D removed from TurboTax 2014 Deluxe"

KingDeals4u

Don't have to know anyone to get Premier download for $34.99 (Fed & State & Efile) for Windows and Mac as of today's look. I got mine from VG for Flagship so haven't used this site.
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #8

I haven't checked yet for this year, but in prior years I've gotten TT for free just by having a savings CD with State Farm Bank.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

After logging into Fidelity, under Guidance & Retirement / Taxes, it may show two offers depending on your account type. One link is for $20 off TurboTax, and another is an offer for free Online Premier. I found that if you click the free offer 'Learn More', then 'Download - See Products' it does offer the Premier download for free. This is Federal + 1 State with 5 free Federal e-files. Nice!

Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #10

You can check the software vendors also. TaxAct has completely free Fed version online. Main difference is the free version doesn't import previous data

TaxACT Free Online Tax Filing, File Free Online Tax Returns, Free Taxes Online for Everyone

Turbo Tax has two. A "free" version that does 1040A/EZ with limited forms. A "freedom" version that works if you meet certain criteria like income.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
After logging into Fidelity, under Guidance & Retirement / Taxes, it may show two offers depending on your account type. One link is for $20 off TurboTax, and another is an offer for free Online Premier. I found that if you click the free offer 'Learn More', then 'Download - See Products' it does offer the Premier download for free. This is Federal + 1 State with 5 free Federal e-files. Nice!

Can you clarify where you're seeing this? Are you at this page when you get this option for 'Learn More'

(2nd line below Fidelity logo, upper left corner)
Home» Guidance & Retirement »
Title page is "Taxes"

or
Home» Guidance & Retirement » Taxes »
Title page is "Save Up To $20 on TurboTax"

I've had many calls with Fidelity reps over the past week and none have been able to find this option. It got to the point they offered me the Premier download and they will reimburse me for the purchase into my account.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #12

FYI- just noticed on Amazon that there's a $35 discount on Premiere if you have Amazon Prime. Final price is $55... not too bad if you can't work out a deal through Fido or Vanguard.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #13

Quicken Premier 2015 Full version $48 less 15% = $40.80.

Or at Intuit for $34.99 (state additional, $36.99)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
KingDeals4u

Don't have to know anyone to get Premier download for $34.99 (Fed & State & Efile) for Windows and Mac as of today's look. I got mine from VG for Flagship so haven't used this site.
This is the best deal I have seen!
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I see the offer for free Premier on Fidelity's Guidance & Retirement » Taxes page itself, but only when I am logged in. It appears to the right of the $20 discount link.
Attached Images
File Type: png TTlink.png (71.1 KB, 16 views)
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #15

Quote:
I see the offer for free Premier on Fidelity's Guidance & Retirement » Taxes page itself, but only when I am logged in. It appears to the right of the $20 discount link.
Yea, I'm logged in too and qualify for the free Premier and my screen doesn't have this option. There must be a glitch in what they're putting on the website for this offer. I decided to check my other account and as you can see, I have two different looking pages and neither give me the free option:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fidelity tax1.jpg (63.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg fidelity tax2.jpg (54.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:

Thanks for the tip! Just downloaded it.
bumtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #17

Do you still have to pay for the State tax returns?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Do you still have to pay for the State tax returns?
I just installed it and it allowed me to download/install one free State.
bumtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #19

I can't get the Fidelity to offer more than the $20, but maybe I am doing something wrong? When i talked to my Fidelity advisor in mid-Dec, he told me to hang on and he would find out. I implied that other brokerages were giving TT free and I thought Fidelity should also! I expect that I will either get the free download, or get the reimbursement.

Anyone h ave an idea what account level (total assets value?) where fidelity is giving the free download?

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I can't get the Fidelity to offer more than the $20, but maybe I am doing something wrong? When i talked to my Fidelity advisor in mid-Dec, he told me to hang on and he would find out. I implied that other brokerages were giving TT free and I thought Fidelity should also! I expect that I will either get the free download, or get the reimbursement.

Anyone h ave an idea what account level (total assets value?) where fidelity is giving the free download?
If you're Private Client status ($1 mil) or an Active Trader, you qualify. Your rep could reimburse you too if you ask. For what it's worth, I'm having the same problem, read my prior post and see attachment photo.