Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I have used the two almost interchangeably over the past 20 years. Whichever happened to be cheapest and worked with my particular operating system at that time. For MY purposes, there really isn't a difference. Last couple of years I used Block/Taxcut, ......
Exactly the same for me, and my taxes are a bit complex with rentals, self-employment, and naturally divs and interest, capital gains, etc

I don't know why people keep paying the TurboTax premium.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Someone may have mentioned this already and I am not sure if it is available for all account sizes (I am a Private Client), but Fidelity just offered me free Premium Turbo Tax. Supposedly a $55 value,

Old 12-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

How do you become a Fidelity VIP Client? Been a customer for over 20 years, and never heard about it before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not sure what feature I may have had issues with in the past. Schedule D comes to mind, or it could be transaction downloads. There have been so many changes over the past few years, as TT looks for ways to upsell.

Like your case, though, it's now academic for me, as Fido confirmed they will reimburse the cost of TT.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by robls View Post
How do you become a Fidelity VIP Client? Been a customer for over 20 years, and never heard about it before.
They call it a Private Client. I think it's a million plus portfolio.
Check your account page. There's the logo below in the upper corner, if you are one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1281.jpg (239.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 12-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #45

I just found this too.

https://www.fidelity.com/wealth-mana...e-client-group
Old 12-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I dumped TurboTax when they started playing games with schedules and raising their prices, moved to TaxAct. Now retired I just need to see if we have enough deductions to itemize so a simple product will do the job. It looks like TaxAct with state will cost $25 this year. I came across a free product by Credit Karma which includes a state return. https://www.creditkarma.com/tax Are they reputable?
Old 12-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I purchased H&R Block Deluxe + State on Amazon today for $21.99.
Thank YOU! I had saved my recent email from H&R for the 2016 premier edition available for $49 but with YOUR info was able to get it for $32
Old 12-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #48

Quote:
I purchased H&R Block Deluxe + State on Amazon today for $21.99. From what I can tell, this is identical to Turbotax Deluxe + State. You get five free federal e-files and one state download included.

I spent the last hour entering my 2016 YTD tax info and from what I can see so far, this software is very similar to Turbotax. The interview style, entry methods, etc all look virtually identical.

I've been a Turbotax user for more than 20 years, and I kept buying it each year out of habit, but I've always heard that the H&R Block software is just as good, and they offer free online chat to answer tax questions and a 10% Amazon bonus if you have a refund and want to take some of it in Amazon credits.

I won't know for sure whether this is really as good as Turbotax until I complete the entire process and file, but from what I've read of other reviews, everyone seems very happy with it.

The $21.99 price is a one day deal today only on Amazon, but with the typical discounts I think you can usually get it for around $30.

Thank You!
I have used Taxcut for several years and prefer it to TT. I've been procrastinating on purchasing this version for 24.99 directly from Block which is a $20 discount. I saved an extra $5 since I don't need the state software. My state has free online filing program for all taxpayers.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I dumped TurboTax when they started playing games with schedules and raising their prices, moved to TaxAct. Now retired I just need to see if we have enough deductions to itemize so a simple product will do the job. It looks like TaxAct with state will cost $25 this year. I came across a free product by Credit Karma which includes a state return. https://www.creditkarma.com/tax Are they reputable?
Brat,
I like CreditKarma for running my credit report. They have been around for quite a while in that arena. I suspect they have been approved by the IRS to offer Freefile software. See here: https://www.irs.gov/uac/free-file-do...taxes-for-free

I've discovered there are a number of companies who offer this service as long as you do your taxes online, even TaxAct and TurboTax. So the CreditKarma product would be an online product.

I'm thinking about doing that this year, instead of paying to download software. I don't need the downloaded software to model 'what-if's' anymore, not when there are so many like Taxcaster (TurboTax) etc. where you can do the same thing.

- Rita
Old 12-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #50

Quote:
I purchased H&R Block Deluxe + State on Amazon today for $21.99. From what I can tell, this is identical to Turbotax Deluxe + State. You get five free federal e-files and one state download included.

I spent the last hour entering my 2016 YTD tax info and from what I can see so far, this software is very similar to Turbotax. The interview style, entry methods, etc all look virtually identical.

I've been a Turbotax user for more than 20 years, and I kept buying it each year out of habit, but I've always heard that the H&R Block software is just as good, and they offer free online chat to answer tax questions and a 10% Amazon bonus if you have a refund and want to take some of it in Amazon credits.

I won't know for sure whether this is really as good as Turbotax until I complete the entire process and file, but from what I've read of other reviews, everyone seems very happy with it.

The $21.99 price is a one day deal today only on Amazon, but with the typical discounts I think you can usually get it for around $30.
Thanks! I was thinking of switching out of TT anyway so this seemed like a good opportunity, and other than the ACA subsidy I should have nothing special with my taxes this year. If I don't like it, I can always buy TT later and not be out too much. General reviews seem good, and so far I haven't hit any of the problems some have reported in reviews.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I switched to HR block last year - it read my TT file from 2014 and cost so much less - and face it HR Block has been doing taxes a long time
Old 12-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #52

Today I bought the H&R Block Deluxe software with State (not State e-filing). for $21.99

This is great !!

I do get the State included Version even though my State allows you to do it online at their site for free. Because after having done all the Fed entries, the State one built in is a few more entries and I'm done, vs Starting from scratch.

I mail in my State one as it's not worth $15 or more to e-file it.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #53

Maybe the title of this thread should be changed.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Even though Fidelity gives me the big (100%) discount only on Premier, I've never found anything I couldn't do just as easily with Deluxe. Premier has slightly more hand-holding in the interview routine, but that's not at all necessary for me. If I were buying it myself, it would definitely be the Deluxe version, and I'd wait for the Costco sale on it.

This has been exactly my conclusion over the years after having used both. I buy the Costco Deluxe disk and it covers all I need quite well.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:47 AM   #55

I've used both TT and HRB software through the years and had a slight preference for the HRB product. Usually got the one that cost least, but past five years I've been given free copies of TT and so use it. Never efile state return, just mail it in.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #56

The price jumped back to $44.99 today so hopefully everyone that wanted it had a chance to purchase it yesterday. I'm sure it will go on sale again though. I am running the mac version, and it seems to be just fine, and almost identical to Turbotax. I feel good about not giving Intuit my business this year after all of the problems they created with their deluxe version years ago.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #57

Does anyone have any experience with ESPP shares with programs other than TT?

I tried H&R Block when they were offering a free version for disgruntled TT users, but I ended up using TT because it was easier to deal with ESPP shares. If there are other programs that handle this as well as TT, then I'd give them a shot.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I just got a un-requested HRB mailer in the mail with a CD-ROM inside. Deluxe is $9.95 to activate, Deluxe+State is $14.95. I'm in.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #59

I wish HRB would would would send me a mailer some year, I never get any now..... I wonder how they decide to mail them ?
Old 12-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I wish HRB would would would send me a mailer some year, I never get any now..... I wonder how they decide to mail them ?
Don't know - I did pay full price the first time I used them. Been about 3 years. This is the first time I got a mailer, though.