Turbotax 2016

Paid full price for Premier back in mid-Nov. to allow me to project/optimize income & deductions before making IRA withdrawals & paying taxes for year. Well worth it to me for avoiding Medicare payment bump & bunching deductions to minimize taxes over multiple years. Ain't got time to wait to save a few bucks.

I was looking at the TT website to compare features between premier and deluxe. TT really makes no effort to clarify the specific differences, all I could find were a few broad references, such as "sold mutual funds", but a conspicuous absence of useful details. This leads me to believe the lower priced option probably has enough functionality.

Even though Fidelity gives me the big (100%) discount only on Premier, I've never found anything I couldn't do just as easily with Deluxe. Premier has slightly more hand-holding in the interview routine, but that's not at all necessary for me. If I were buying it myself, it would definitely be the Deluxe version, and I'd wait for the Costco sale on it.

Even though Fidelity gives me the big (100%) discount only on Premier, I've never found anything I couldn't do just as easily with Deluxe. Premier has slightly more hand-holding in the interview routine, but that's not at all necessary for me. If I were buying it myself, it would definitely be the Deluxe version, and I'd wait for the Costco sale on it.
Not sure what feature I may have had issues with in the past. Schedule D comes to mind, or it could be transaction downloads. There have been so many changes over the past few years, as TT looks for ways to upsell.

Like your case, though, it's now academic for me, as Fido confirmed they will reimburse the cost of TT.
Thank you for your email.

Nothing has been officially announced as of yet about the Turbo Tax offer, however all of our Fidelity VIP clients will be eligible to receive a reimbursement for Turbo Tax for 2016.

Fidelity no longer issues hard copies (disks) for Turbo Tax, therefore if clients wish to have a hard copy we invite clients to purchase the hard copy and then inform the team of the cost.

+1

MichaelB - their marketing materials may be clear as mud. But I'm pretty sure anything related to Schedule D was reinstated in the Deluxe version last year, including downloads.

Surely they won't try to pull that stunt again.........

I Guess Timing is Everything After All!

For those not getting a freebie, this Turbotax price drop thing could be fun.

I just brought in a big gun (well sorta :)) and signed up for an Amazon price tracker. I'll get an email well Amazon has TT Deluxe (CD version - I'm old fashioned) selling for less than $40 (the price I chose).

Looks like there are plenty of Amazon price trackers out there.

But I'm pretty sure anything related to Schedule D was reinstated in the Deluxe version last year, including downloads.

Surely they won't try to pull that stunt again.........

Won't matter - I used their online version for years until they pulled that stunt, and that was it for me. Apparently I wasn't the only one.

Switched to H&R Block Deluxe (PC version) and didn't look back, works fine and I've been getting it for $10 or so with free fed and state e-file the last couple of years. Probably be about the same this year.

Last edited:
I've always been a TaxCut (block) guy. Worked fine. Not perfect, but did you the job. Never needed anything but Basic, even with 1099-B and stuff.

For those not getting a freebie, this Turbotax price drop thing could be fun.

I just brought in a big gun (well sorta :)) and signed up for an Amazon price tracker. I'll get an email well Amazon has TT Deluxe (CD version - I'm old fashioned) selling for less than $40 (the price I chose).

Looks like there are plenty of Amazon price trackers out there.

Looked at that on Amazon... its the old if something looks too good to be true, then it is. The $40 version does not include any state filings... if Cyberspace does not have state income taxes then you are all set... if it does, then you need the $50 version.

I purchased H&R Block Deluxe + State on Amazon today for $21.99. From what I can tell, this is identical to Turbotax Deluxe + State. You get five free federal e-files and one state download included.

I spent the last hour entering my 2016 YTD tax info and from what I can see so far, this software is very similar to Turbotax. The interview style, entry methods, etc all look virtually identical.

I've been a Turbotax user for more than 20 years, and I kept buying it each year out of habit, but I've always heard that the H&R Block software is just as good, and they offer free online chat to answer tax questions and a 10% Amazon bonus if you have a refund and want to take some of it in Amazon credits.

I won't know for sure whether this is really as good as Turbotax until I complete the entire process and file, but from what I've read of other reviews, everyone seems very happy with it.

The $21.99 price is a one day deal today only on Amazon, but with the typical discounts I think you can usually get it for around $30.

Looked at that on Amazon... its the old if something looks too good to be true, then it is. The $40 version does not include any state filings... if Cyberspace does not have state income taxes then you are all set... if it does, then you need the $50 version.

The version I'm tracking includes state form creation but about extra $20 to e-file the state. That's the state version I've always been used to with Intuit. I've never seen a version with state filing included.

My tracker shows the price one time around $60, now around $50, and I expect around $40 by new years.

Attachments

• the tracktor.jpg
    the tracktor.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
My bad. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that you found it for $40, but you're saying that you set up price alert for $40. That makes sense.

(emphasis mine) I should have read your post this morning! Instead, I just looked at 2016 Turbotax Deluxe on Amazon, which is where I intend to buy it. I saw it for $39.86!

Being half asleep I thought that was a price drop and ordered it, and then noticed that it is a version without the state income tax (which I wanted). So, I cancelled my order.

The one with one state included is still $49.86. Last year I think the price dropped either in late December or early January.

I purchased H&R Block Deluxe + State on Amazon today for $21.99. From what I can tell, this is identical to Turbotax Deluxe + State. You get five free federal e-files and one state download included.

I spent the last hour entering my 2016 YTD tax info and from what I can see so far, this software is very similar to Turbotax. The interview style, entry methods, etc all look virtually identical.

I've been a Turbotax user for more than 20 years, and I kept buying it each year out of habit, but I've always heard that the H&R Block software is just as good, and they offer free online chat to answer tax questions and a 10% Amazon bonus if you have a refund and want to take some of it in Amazon credits.

I won't know for sure whether this is really as good as Turbotax until I complete the entire process and file, but from what I've read of other reviews, everyone seems very happy with it.

The $21.99 price is a one day deal today only on Amazon, but with the typical discounts I think you can usually get it for around $30.

I have used the two almost interchangeably over the past 20 years. Whichever happened to be cheapest and worked with my particular operating system at that time. For MY purposes, there really isn't a difference. Last couple of years I used Block/Taxcut, but this year I got a free download for TT from Fido, so I'll be using that.

My bad. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that you found it for $40, but you're saying that you set up price alert for $40. That makes sense.

No prob. I find that I misunderstand stuff a lot more than a few years ago. Not sure if from old age, or more distractions, or what.

So, to carry the tracking further, I looked at the price of 2015's version. The price dipped to about $40 in Jan, but then didn't really go any lower before filing time. So, if the pattern holds true again, no real need to hold out shopping at Amazon closer to filing date in hopes of a bigger dip.

Last edited:
I have used the two almost interchangeably over the past 20 years. Whichever happened to be cheapest and worked with my particular operating system at that time. For MY purposes, there really isn't a difference. Last couple of years I used Block/Taxcut, ......

Exactly the same for me, and my taxes are a bit complex with rentals, self-employment, and naturally divs and interest, capital gains, etc

I don't know why people keep paying the TurboTax premium.

Someone may have mentioned this already and I am not sure if it is available for all account sizes (I am a Private Client), but Fidelity just offered me free Premium Turbo Tax. Supposedly a $55 value,

How do you become a Fidelity VIP Client? Been a customer for over 20 years, and never heard about it before.
Not sure what feature I may have had issues with in the past. Schedule D comes to mind, or it could be transaction downloads. There have been so many changes over the past few years, as TT looks for ways to upsell.

Like your case, though, it's now academic for me, as Fido confirmed they will reimburse the cost of TT.

How do you become a Fidelity VIP Client? Been a customer for over 20 years, and never heard about it before.

They call it a Private Client. I think it's a million plus portfolio.
Check your account page. There's the logo below in the upper corner, if you are one.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 29
I dumped TurboTax when they started playing games with schedules and raising their prices, moved to TaxAct. Now retired I just need to see if we have enough deductions to itemize so a simple product will do the job. It looks like TaxAct with state will cost $25 this year. I came across a free product by Credit Karma which includes a state return. https://www.creditkarma.com/tax Are they reputable?

I purchased H&R Block Deluxe + State on Amazon today for $21.99.

Thank YOU! I had saved my recent email from H&R for the 2016 premier edition available for $49 but with YOUR info was able to get it for $32 :clap:

Thank You!
I have used Taxcut for several years and prefer it to TT. I've been procrastinating on purchasing this version for 24.99 directly from Block which is a $20 discount. I saved an extra $5 since I don't need the state software. My state has free online filing program for all taxpayers.

Last edited:
I dumped TurboTax when they started playing games with schedules and raising their prices, moved to TaxAct. Now retired I just need to see if we have enough deductions to itemize so a simple product will do the job. It looks like TaxAct with state will cost $25 this year. I came across a free product by Credit Karma which includes a state return. https://www.creditkarma.com/tax Are they reputable?
Brat,
I like CreditKarma for running my credit report. They have been around for quite a while in that arena. I suspect they have been approved by the IRS to offer Freefile software. See here: https://www.irs.gov/uac/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

I've discovered there are a number of companies who offer this service as long as you do your taxes online, even TaxAct and TurboTax. So the CreditKarma product would be an online product.

I'm thinking about doing that this year, instead of paying to download software. I don't need the downloaded software to model 'what-if's' anymore, not when there are so many like Taxcaster (TurboTax) etc. where you can do the same thing.

- Rita

Thanks! I was thinking of switching out of TT anyway so this seemed like a good opportunity, and other than the ACA subsidy I should have nothing special with my taxes this year. If I don't like it, I can always buy TT later and not be out too much. General reviews seem good, and so far I haven't hit any of the problems some have reported in reviews.

Back
Top Bottom