Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Has anyone heard of "Tax Pros"? They are selling Turbotax Deluxe 2016 Fed + State for $32.85.

It looks fishy, but I can't tell for sure whether it's pirated or legit.

Turbotax Deluxe 2016 MAC Download
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #22

For the 15 or $20 you'd save, I wouldn't risk it.
I suppose I'm old-school, but I prefer the physical disc anyway.
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Has anyone heard of "Tax Pros"? They are selling Turbotax Deluxe 2016 Fed + State for $32.85.

It looks fishy, but I can't tell for sure whether it's pirated or legit.

Turbotax Deluxe 2016 MAC Download
I posed this question at the TurboTax website and a respondent thought TaxPros was fishy as well.

What I find frustrating is that Intuit does not publish a list of approved sellers of their product so we can avoid these fly-by-night outfits.

You would think that they would want their customers to avoid the fly-by-nighters but if they did publish a list then we could shop around for the best price and it would pressure them to meet that price with their direct to consumer sales.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:40 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Hate to admit it, but I ised to search for incredible deals to save $20.

Now I just go to Amazon and click click.

The small business version is $79. Didn't look into any others.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Cent...8&node=3003491
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:48 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
For the 15 or $20 you'd save, I wouldn't risk it.
I suppose I'm old-school, but I prefer the physical disc anyway.
+1.

Who knows, that place could be a front for stealing your personal and cc information.

Wait until around the new year, I bet Amazon will cut the price to around $39 like last year.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #26
gone traveling

Paid full price for Premier back in mid-Nov. to allow me to project/optimize income & deductions before making IRA withdrawals & paying taxes for year. Well worth it to me for avoiding Medicare payment bump & bunching deductions to minimize taxes over multiple years. Ain't got time to wait to save a few bucks.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #27
Administrator

I was looking at the TT website to compare features between premier and deluxe. TT really makes no effort to clarify the specific differences, all I could find were a few broad references, such as "sold mutual funds", but a conspicuous absence of useful details. This leads me to believe the lower priced option probably has enough functionality.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #28

Even though Fidelity gives me the big (100%) discount only on Premier, I've never found anything I couldn't do just as easily with Deluxe. Premier has slightly more hand-holding in the interview routine, but that's not at all necessary for me. If I were buying it myself, it would definitely be the Deluxe version, and I'd wait for the Costco sale on it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:43 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Even though Fidelity gives me the big (100%) discount only on Premier, I've never found anything I couldn't do just as easily with Deluxe. Premier has slightly more hand-holding in the interview routine, but that's not at all necessary for me. If I were buying it myself, it would definitely be the Deluxe version, and I'd wait for the Costco sale on it.
Not sure what feature I may have had issues with in the past. Schedule D comes to mind, or it could be transaction downloads. There have been so many changes over the past few years, as TT looks for ways to upsell.

Like your case, though, it's now academic for me, as Fido confirmed they will reimburse the cost of TT.
Quote:
Thank you for your email.

Nothing has been officially announced as of yet about the Turbo Tax offer, however all of our Fidelity VIP clients will be eligible to receive a reimbursement for Turbo Tax for 2016.

Fidelity no longer issues hard copies (disks) for Turbo Tax, therefore if clients wish to have a hard copy we invite clients to purchase the hard copy and then inform the team of the cost.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
+1

MichaelB - their marketing materials may be clear as mud. But I'm pretty sure anything related to Schedule D was reinstated in the Deluxe version last year, including downloads.

Surely they won't try to pull that stunt again.........
Old 12-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I Guess Timing is Everything After All!

For those not getting a freebie, this Turbotax price drop thing could be fun.

I just brought in a big gun (well sorta ) and signed up for an Amazon price tracker. I'll get an email well Amazon has TT Deluxe (CD version - I'm old fashioned) selling for less than $40 (the price I chose).

Looks like there are plenty of Amazon price trackers out there.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
But I'm pretty sure anything related to Schedule D was reinstated in the Deluxe version last year, including downloads.

Surely they won't try to pull that stunt again.........
Won't matter - I used their online version for years until they pulled that stunt, and that was it for me. Apparently I wasn't the only one.

Switched to H&R Block Deluxe (PC version) and didn't look back, works fine and I've been getting it for $10 or so with free fed and state e-file the last couple of years. Probably be about the same this year.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:06 PM   #33

I've always been a TaxCut (block) guy. Worked fine. Not perfect, but did you the job. Never needed anything but Basic, even with 1099-B and stuff.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:45 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
For those not getting a freebie, this Turbotax price drop thing could be fun.

I just brought in a big gun (well sorta ) and signed up for an Amazon price tracker. I'll get an email well Amazon has TT Deluxe (CD version - I'm old fashioned) selling for less than $40 (the price I chose).

Looks like there are plenty of Amazon price trackers out there.
Looked at that on Amazon... its the old if something looks too good to be true, then it is. The $40 version does not include any state filings... if Cyberspace does not have state income taxes then you are all set... if it does, then you need the $50 version.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #35

I purchased H&R Block Deluxe + State on Amazon today for $21.99. From what I can tell, this is identical to Turbotax Deluxe + State. You get five free federal e-files and one state download included.

I spent the last hour entering my 2016 YTD tax info and from what I can see so far, this software is very similar to Turbotax. The interview style, entry methods, etc all look virtually identical.

I've been a Turbotax user for more than 20 years, and I kept buying it each year out of habit, but I've always heard that the H&R Block software is just as good, and they offer free online chat to answer tax questions and a 10% Amazon bonus if you have a refund and want to take some of it in Amazon credits.

I won't know for sure whether this is really as good as Turbotax until I complete the entire process and file, but from what I've read of other reviews, everyone seems very happy with it.

The $21.99 price is a one day deal today only on Amazon, but with the typical discounts I think you can usually get it for around $30.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Looked at that on Amazon... its the old if something looks too good to be true, then it is. The $40 version does not include any state filings... if Cyberspace does not have state income taxes then you are all set... if it does, then you need the $50 version.
The version I'm tracking includes state form creation but about extra $20 to e-file the state. That's the state version I've always been used to with Intuit. I've never seen a version with state filing included.

My tracker shows the price one time around $60, now around $50, and I expect around $40 by new years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the tracktor.jpg (308.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

My bad. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that you found it for $40, but you're saying that you set up price alert for $40. That makes sense.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
(emphasis mine) I should have read your post this morning! Instead, I just looked at 2016 Turbotax Deluxe on Amazon, which is where I intend to buy it. I saw it for $39.86!

Being half asleep I thought that was a price drop and ordered it, and then noticed that it is a version without the state income tax (which I wanted). So, I cancelled my order.

The one with one state included is still $49.86. Last year I think the price dropped either in late December or early January.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I purchased H&R Block Deluxe + State on Amazon today for $21.99. From what I can tell, this is identical to Turbotax Deluxe + State. You get five free federal e-files and one state download included.

I spent the last hour entering my 2016 YTD tax info and from what I can see so far, this software is very similar to Turbotax. The interview style, entry methods, etc all look virtually identical.

I've been a Turbotax user for more than 20 years, and I kept buying it each year out of habit, but I've always heard that the H&R Block software is just as good, and they offer free online chat to answer tax questions and a 10% Amazon bonus if you have a refund and want to take some of it in Amazon credits.

I won't know for sure whether this is really as good as Turbotax until I complete the entire process and file, but from what I've read of other reviews, everyone seems very happy with it.

The $21.99 price is a one day deal today only on Amazon, but with the typical discounts I think you can usually get it for around $30.

I have used the two almost interchangeably over the past 20 years. Whichever happened to be cheapest and worked with my particular operating system at that time. For MY purposes, there really isn't a difference. Last couple of years I used Block/Taxcut, but this year I got a free download for TT from Fido, so I'll be using that.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My bad. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that you found it for $40, but you're saying that you set up price alert for $40. That makes sense.
No prob. I find that I misunderstand stuff a lot more than a few years ago. Not sure if from old age, or more distractions, or what.

So, to carry the tracking further, I looked at the price of 2015's version. The price dipped to about $40 in Jan, but then didn't really go any lower before filing time. So, if the pattern holds true again, no real need to hold out shopping at Amazon closer to filing date in hopes of a bigger dip.