Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Here's the link for the deal I got. It was supposed to expire on 11/10 but looks like it's still there. And it was actually 18.95 (I mis remembered)
https://store.hrblock.com/checkout/2...rid=1116771165

MANY thanks for the link! Just downloaded Deluxe for $19.95! Cheapest price I’ve found.....

(I, too, decided to give up on TaxAct because of their significant price jump last year.)
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
MANY thanks for the link! Just downloaded Deluxe for $19.95! Cheapest price I’ve found.....

(I, too, decided to give up on TaxAct because of their significant price jump last year.)
Yes, thanx for all the Turbo-Tax vs H&R Block et al chatter.

I just installed H&R Block. Ready to go!
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43210 View Post
I've used TaxACT for several years, but they started having big price increases.

But I learned you may be able to get free tax software
https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file...taxes-for-free
FWIW, here's the list of Free File Software Offers for the previous season (I guess th next one will come out in January)
https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/jsp/index.jsp
43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:05 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Link shows as $19.95 for me, but still good price if one doesn't need state. I don't need it as FL has no state tax, but son lives in IL and I'm still helping him with his taxes so still need one state.
IL has a free tax form for the state, it's really pretty good, so good in fact that even though we had the State included with our HR block software, we did the State Online version.

It is largely based on numbers from the Fed taxes, so that has to be done first.

It's on the left near the top.

Illinois Department of Revenue
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:07 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
+1

It's 4 cents cheaper than last year, and we didn't use the State filing, so I figure we don't really need it.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
IL has a free tax form for the state, it's really pretty good, so good in fact that even though we had the State included with our HR block software, we did the State Online version.

It is largely based on numbers from the Fed taxes, so that has to be done first.

It's on the left near the top.

Illinois Department of Revenue
I think last year he pulled the state form that H&R Block created and used that to enter into the state's site. Def not worth paying for e-file.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I ordered the TT Premier disk from Amazon today.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I ordered the TT Premier disk from Amazon today.
Thanks to everyone's advice, I ordered the Deluxe rather than the Premier, saving about $30.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

As of this typing, TT Deluxe (CD version) + State is going for about $50 at Amazon.

Still about $10 more than I'm willing to pay. I can wait. Time is on my side .
Old 11-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I'm taking my time. I have estimates of capital gain distributions from the mutual funds but they're all in December so I won't know actual for awhile. Downloads from brokerages typically aren't available till February. I'm fine-tuning my estimates using the 2016 software but can't really file till February.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:55 AM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

Got the download version of TT premier with efile and state for $59.95 from Tax Pros.

I do this every year. Do my state with the program, print it and mail and save $20 on the state efile. Usually owe state anyway so not in a hurry to file state.
trueson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
It's right here.... Deluxe w/1 state return.
Wow! I went to that link and for home owner/HSA/investments, it said I needed the Premier version for $79.99 + $39.99 for one state filing. That seems a tip-off to me. I used HRB last year and I was thinking it was much cheaper than that.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Wow! I went to that link and for home owner/HSA/investments, it said I needed the Premier version for $79.99 + $39.99 for one state filing. That seems a tip-off to me. I used HRB last year and I was thinking it was much cheaper than that.
Not sure what you are looking at, but I click same link and see the most expensive if $44.95 (Premium and Business), Premium is $37.48, Deluxe $27.48 and Basic for $14.98. I see nothing $79.99.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Not sure what you are looking at, but I click same link and see the most expensive if $44.95 (Premium and Business), Premium is $37.48, Deluxe $27.48 and Basic for $14.98. I see nothing $79.99.
I have followed that link three different times and been sent to three different pages. First time it was what I described, second time is what you described and the third time it shows only HRB Deluxe for the sale price of $19.95, nothing about other versions. Oh, well.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It's early yet
How about now, is it less early?
Hope we don't have the fido fiasco again this year. I'm referring to the problem they had determining who would get it free. I did and I want my free stuff again.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
How about now, is it less early?
Hope we don't have the fido fiasco again this year. I'm referring to the problem they had determining who would get it free. I did and I want my free stuff again.
Looks like someone posted about it here Dec 13 of last year.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Well still nothing on Fidelity for their clients but I see this offer:

Quote:
Why take advantage of this offer with Fidelity
You'll get up to $20 off on TurboTax (both online and desktop versions), whether you are a current Fidelity customer or just visiting Fidelity.com
You can automatically import most investment information directly from your Fidelity accounts into TurboTax using your Fidelity username and password—TurboTax will do the rest1
You can direct deposit your tax refund into your Fidelity account
What you can import from Fidelity
For brokerage and other nonretirement accounts: Form 1099, cost basis, and direct deposit information
Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs): Form 1099-R
If Fidelity processes your paycheck: W-2 information
If you have more than 500 transactions to import, try using the desktop version of TurboTax. While there's no limit to the number of transactions you can import using the online version, you may experience technical glitches if you try to import more than 500 transactions. In addition, each entry field has a limit of nine characters (commas included). In both the online and desktop versions, the largest accepted number is 9,999,999 (seven digits and two commas).
https://www.fidelity.com/tax-informa...count/overview

$20 discount.

My father pays almost 1% for management fees. Not worth it to get a free product instead of paying $50 or $70.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #58

For those who missed the last H&R Block promotion, Deluxe is now on sale for $9.95, or Deluxe plus State for $14.95.

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software..._mcm_9462_0001

Edit:

Try this link if the above one doesn't work:

https://www.buyvia.com/deals/hr-bloc...e-25-off-sale/
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

TurboTax 2017 Home & Business, $80.00 or so. This year was probably the fastest time from purchase to opening the tax form. I would say no more than 15 minutes for the entire process. Now we sit and wait for the march of 1099's, W2's, etc.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #60

I got the Deluxe, because I will not get suckered into buying Premier. There was an upsell try in the Deluxe program that I ignored.
I have it loaded, transferred last years data, and like target2019 have to wait until February for the avalanche of 1099's to be over.
I just enter them as I receive them.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote