Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2017, 09:43 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Here is what Fidelity told me.
You perhaps didn’t see my later posts that I found the free download version of TurboTax Premier via our Fidelity account, and we have already downloaded it.

That 120 trades per year requirement is not correct as we haven’t made that many trades. You may need to have over $1M invested with Fidelity to qualify. We are in their Private Client Group and I believe that status is what makes it free for us.

It just took a while to find it and I may have been a couple of days early.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You perhaps didn’t see my later posts that I found the free download version of TurboTax Premier via our Fidelity account, and we have already downloaded it.

That 120 trades per year requirement is not correct as we haven’t made that many trades. You may need to have over $1M invested with Fidelity to qualify. We are in their Private Client Group and I believe that status is what makes it free for us.

I did see your answer, but it did not indicate the number of trades. On a household level, I am well over the $1M, so it is not just a $1M in asset level. Maybe it is $2M+? I did inquire again.

Maybe in the private client group you are in, you pay more in fees somehow?

I am in the private client group too, with a free adviser assigned to my account. I did ask the same question last year, and got the same number of trades answer.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:25 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I did see your answer, but it did not indicate the number of trades. On a household level, I am well over the $1M, so it is not just a $1M in asset level. Maybe it is $2M+? I did inquire again.

Maybe in the private client group you are in, you pay more in fees somehow?

I am in the private client group too, with a free adviser assigned to my account. I did ask the same question last year, and got the same number of trades answer.
We pay no fees. I don’t really know the assets threshold - bit of mystery there. Maybe an individual has to qualify, not just combined household? We do have to log in via DH’s credentials to qualify as he is listed first on the account.

We’ve had a large number of transactions. But still well under 120. And I suspect few of them qualify as actual trades - certainly most had no commission.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
When I tried to buy from Costco online at this price I got a message that said "Out of Stock."
We just looked at the upcoming Costco ad for Jan 3-Jan 28. It shows $10 off with state for deluxe and $15 off for Premier. Available in store or on line.
cbo111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #105

Quote:
We pay no fees. I don’t really know the assets threshold - bit of mystery there. Maybe an individual has to qualify, not just combined household? We do have to log in via DH’s credentials to qualify as he is listed first on the account.

We’ve had a large number of transactions. But still well under 120. And I suspect few of them qualify as actual trades - certainly most had no commission.
+1

No fees for Private Client Group. We have less than 10 trades per year and most are free. We already downloaded the free TurboTax Premier, same as last several years.

It's my understanding that the TurboTax offer is for frequent traders or PCG. It's also my understanding that the threshold for PCG is $1M in household assets, excluding workplace retirement accounts. But it is not automatic. I think this is where the mystery comes in. I never got these perks until I called a few years ago and requested a portfolio review with a PCG rep. Now I get calls and emails a couple times per year as well as the other perks like TurboTax.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
+1

No fees for Private Client Group. We have less than 10 trades per year and most are free. We already downloaded the free TurboTax Premier, same as last several years.

It's my understanding that the TurboTax offer is for frequent traders or PCG. It's also my understanding that the threshold for PCG is $1M in household assets, excluding workplace retirement accounts. But it is not automatic. I think this is where the mystery comes in. I never got these perks until I called a few years ago and requested a portfolio review with a PCG rep. Now I get calls and emails a couple times per year as well as the other perks like TurboTax.
I used to wonder what the deal was, too. The epiphany came when I was in talking to my PCG guy about streamlining my portfolio a few years ago. I'm not an active trader by any stretch. I mentioned that I knew of people who got it free and asked what the criteria were. He looked startled and said "Oh, I didn't know you used it. I'll put you on the list."

That's all there was to it, and ever since then I've been able to download it free in late December. So there is apparently some manual action required to "get on the list."
Old 01-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #107

I just ordered Turbotax Deluxe + state for $39.86 on Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Delu...+software+2017

Dunno how long it will be on sale.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
+1

I am in the private client group too. I spoke with my (free) Fidelity adviser. She said there were about four criteria that had to be met. The criteria changes every year.

She said I would likely be there next year, assuming the criteria stayed the same. It is not household account value, but individual account totals. For sure if I transferred my 401K I would be there.

She did mention she could credit my account for the cost of the TurboTax that I bought on Amazon... I purchased TurboTax H & B, but she would see if I could get a credit for the amount of the 'free' version.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

My Fido rep told me the online edition was free for Private Client Group members. Were you able to get the downloadable version for free? Just curious.....might need to touch base with my rep again. I have most of my funds with fidelity so that shouldn't be an issue.
tdv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv2 View Post
My Fido rep told me the online edition was free for Private Client Group members. Were you able to get the downloadable version for free? Just curious.....might need to touch base with my rep again. I have most of my funds with fidelity so that shouldn't be an issue.
The downloadable version is also free. You find it by following the same links, and then looking at the download products. It’s been that way for years.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The downloadable version is also free. You find it by following the same links, and then looking at the download products. It’s been that way for years.
Thanks. Let me give it a try.
tdv2 is offline   Reply With Quote