Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used TaxCut last year because it was around $20. It worked fine, but the one thing I really didn't like was that when you look at the summary screen, it doesn't show you which sections you have already worked on like Turbotax does. So I never knew for sure if I addressed every section. It seems like an easy thing to fix but it was very distracting for me. I think I'm going back to Turbotax this year, but I would expect the price to drop to around $40 shortly. Maybe there will be a black Friday promo on it.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I used TaxCut last year because it was around $20. It worked fine, but the one thing I really didn't like was that when you look at the summary screen, it doesn't show you which sections you have already worked on like Turbotax does. So I never knew for sure if I addressed every section. It seems like an easy thing to fix but it was very distracting for me. I think I'm going back to Turbotax this year, but I would expect the price to drop to around $40 shortly. Maybe there will be a black Friday promo on it.
If I can get TURBO for $40 bucks I'd stay with that 'cause I'm used to it
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I am thinking of switching from Turbo tax to Tax Cut this year.

Can Tax Cut import directly from my broker like Turbo does?

I have relatively uncomplicated stuff. No real estate, no business, no inheritance, deductions etc. I had to upgrade to TURBO Premier a few yrs ago which I did not appreciate. I believe I can drop back down to TURBO deluxe again but I don't trust them. Premiere seems too expensive for a few dividends and possible cap gains
I made move from TurboTax to TaxCut (now H&R Block) last year. No problem with imports from brokers. In addition HRB also imported prior years return from TurboTax.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #24

Quote:
I know what you are saying, but you can see each section if you click on "Summary" of each of the sections, e.g. Income Summary, Adjustment Summary, Deduction Summary, etc. A summary will be displayed and show you the amount related to each of the line items. It's two step vs. one, but in TT you'd have to scroll and scroll and scroll, the HRB method is a lot less scrolling.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I made move from TurboTax to TaxCut (now H&R Block) last year. No problem with imports from brokers. In addition HRB also imported prior years return from TurboTax.
Thanks. It's looking better and better. It's probably worth trying for a year or two anyway just on general principle
Old 11-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How many free federal e-files are included for the $20? Also, I assume that one state is included?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I use TT home and business.. retails for $99.. on sale maybe $79..
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
How many free federal e-files are included for the $20? Also, I assume that one state is included?
5 free federal e-files. One state included, but extra $ for state e-file. Living in FL no interest in state return for me.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I'm not seeing it on Fidelity.
It's early yet
Old 11-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #30

Quote:
That's a great price, I bought for $27.48. Where'd you find for $18? Did that include state?
I'm not sure about the $18 for deluxe. I think $27.48 is about the best for deluxe. I don't need state because my state is so simple (and I like to keep it on paper, just to annoy them). So I'll probably get the basic for $14.98. Amazon has basic for $19.99.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:57 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's a great price, I bought for $27.48. Where'd you find for $18? Did that include state?

No. In MD the state has free ifile service so I only need Federal.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:04 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Here's the link for the deal I got. It was supposed to expire on 11/10 but looks like it's still there. And it was actually 18.95 (I mis remembered)
https://store.hrblock.com/checkout/2...rid=1116771165
Old 11-16-2017, 05:39 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Here's the link for the deal I got. It was supposed to expire on 11/10 but looks like it's still there. And it was actually 18.95 (I mis remembered)
https://store.hrblock.com/checkout/2...rid=1116771165
Link shows as $19.95 for me, but still good price if one doesn't need state. I don't need it as FL has no state tax, but son lives in IL and I'm still helping him with his taxes so still need one state.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I think I paid $25 thru USAA last years for TT. Still hope that VG will give us all a Christmas present and announce that they are offering TT free once again. Tis the season...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I need Home & Business for my "Hobby" business Schedule C.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Link shows as $19.95 for me, but still good price if one doesn't need state. I don't need it as FL has no state tax, but son lives in IL and I'm still helping him with his taxes so still need one state.
It also shows $19.95 for me, but better than the "walk in" price. Right now, when I go in to the block site from an anonymous tab, it's showing that Deluxe is $44.95!! I'm not sure what happened to the $27.48.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
It also shows $19.95 for me, but better than the "walk in" price. Right now, when I go in to the block site from an anonymous tab, it's showing that Deluxe is $44.95!! I'm not sure what happened to the $27.48.
It's right here.... Deluxe w/1 state return.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #38

Quote:
It's right here.... Deluxe w/1 state return.
Just went to that link. I clicked on "single" and "Have investments" and it recommended PREMIUM, even though DELUXE says Best for homeowners
or investors

What's lacking in the "for investors" version that makes it not suitable for investors?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Just went to that link. I clicked on "single" and "Have investments" and it recommended PREMIUM, even though DELUXE says Best for homeowners
or investors

What's lacking in the "for investors" version that makes it not suitable for investors?
Dunno - I picked up Deluxe, has everything I need.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Dunno - I picked up Deluxe, has everything I need.
I think it's just a way of "over selling" or "upselling"

I didn't even buy or sell anything this yr. Just a little in 2016.

I didn't want dividends from stocks to screw anything up

Thanks