Join Early Retirement Today

TurboTax 2018 Deluxe version
Old 01-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

TurboTax 2018 Deluxe version

Costco online sells TurboTax Deluce Fed & State 2018. I have not checked my local store if they also carry this version with CD install.

---------------------------------------------------
TurboTax Deluxe Federal & State 2018
★★★★★
★★★★★ 4.3 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.
(10)
Item 1280542
Online Price49.99$
Less10.00 $ -
----------------------------------------------------

I need a version with CD to install on my PC. In some years, I purchased Premier version, but this year I have fewer stock transactions. So, if I purchase Deluxe this year, does that cover Schedule D even if I need to manually enter transactions?
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 09:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
if I purchase Deluxe this year, does that cover Schedule D even if I need to manually enter transactions?
Yes. The deluxe version handles schedule D.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
Costco online sells TurboTax Deluce Fed & State 2018. I have not checked my local store if they also carry this version with CD install.

---------------------------------------------------

TurboTax Deluxe Federal & State 2018

★★★★★

★★★★★ 4.3 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.

(10)

Item 1280542

Online Price49.99$

Less10.00 $ -

----------------------------------------------------

I need a version with CD to install on my PC. In some years, I purchased Premier version, but this year I have fewer stock transactions. So, if I purchase Deluxe this year, does that cover Schedule D even if I need to manually enter transactions?

Just bought that CD from Costco this morning. My Fidelity rep will also reimburse me for it.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #4

I’m still confused about Deluxe vs Premier ... I have rental properties, mutual funds and stocks, pensions, and non qualified plan disbursements. No state come tax filing.

Have previously always used Deluxe with a State when was working.

What’s the difference?

And, how do I get Fido reimbursement - have most holdings with them?
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #5

Looks like you get free Premier but it's only online. So not sure if they give you any money for download version. I'll have to ask my Fidelity guy.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Just bought that CD from Costco this morning. My Fidelity rep will also reimburse me for it.
I just called Fidelity to see if they were offering TT for free again this year. He said only to those that do significant trading.
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #7

A few years ago, when I had my rental, I had to use Premier for the Schedule E entries. Since I sold it, I have been using Deluxe with Schedule D with no problems.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

As far as I know, the CD version still includes Schedule D. The online version requires Premier.

Here’s the story behind that difference:
https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/unc...stomers-18817/
a60dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
I’m still confused about Deluxe vs Premier ... I have rental properties, mutual funds and stocks, pensions, and non qualified plan disbursements. No state come tax filing.

Have previously always used Deluxe with a State when was working.

What’s the difference?

And, how do I get Fido reimbursement - have most holdings with them?

Just mention it to your rep. Anyone with close to over a certain amount of holdings gets this perk. Fido has a link on your account to provide the free online version or you can opt to buy the CD and get reimbursed.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #10

I've been having a 'glitch' issue with turbotax 2018 deluxe version. Here is the issue statement. (I did spend 1.5 hours with their help desk before they sent me this link)

"
Why do I hit a snag when I click on Medical Expenses, Property Tax, Auto Registration or Rental Real Estate under Deductions and Credits?

Some TurboTax Desktop Windows customers are hitting a snag when trying to go through the Medical Expenses, Property Tax, Auto Registration and Rental Real Estate sections under deductions and credits. The error they receive is, "Hmm, looks like we've hit a snag. We recommend you revisit the last topic you were working on to make sure all your info's correct" or "Something went wrong"
Who is affected?

Customers that meet the following criteria may experience this issue:

Using TurboTax Desktop Windows
Attempting to go through the Medical Expenses, Property Tax, Auto Registration or Rental Real Estate sections under Deductions and Credits

Workaround

If you are experiencing this issue please manually update the TurboTax program by following the instructions here"

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:38 AM   #11

OK - getting confused about Deluxe vs Premier for 2018.

I’ve had rental properties for five years - always used Deluxe with on state. Recently moved to a state without income tax, so I can certainly drop the state filing component.

Will Tt Deluxe still pick up my data file from last year and do the comps on rentals, stock sales, mutual fund gains, pensions and a home sale?

I keep getting the feeling that the Premier version simply has additional access to videos and advice, but doesn’t do anything more with the actual comps...and, they use this as the marketing for the up-charge.

Help!

Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #12

We’ve used TT Premier for at least three years to do our return (Schedules A,B,C,D, and E). This year I purchased the Deluxe version, figuring I could always upgrade if needed.

So far I’ve had no problem getting our data entered. No itemized deductions this year, but I’ve entered our capital gains, rental income/deductions, and the Schedule C for DH’s contract work. All of the necessary info flowed from last year’s return. I think your feeling is correct: all of the necessary forms are available in Deluxe but not the specialized “help” that’s included with Premier.

We haven’t filed yet because we are still waiting for a K-1.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #13

Thanks, All!

I need to get started this week ... anyone have final thoughts on where to buy Deluxe for a Mac OS? I don't have access to Costco.

Can get the Fidelity discounted version.

I have a DVD reader on my Mac.

Anything better price?
Old 03-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, All!

I need to get started this week ... anyone have final thoughts on where to buy Deluxe for a Mac OS? I don't have access to Costco.

Can get the Fidelity discounted version.

I have a DVD reader on my Mac.

Anything better price?
We found it for $30 Federal only on Amazon but you had to order the disc version. MacOS.

That was cheaper than the Fidelity “discount” and matched the Costco price.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #15

Thanks, audrey,

Only seeing Basic for $30 right now ...Deluxe disc is $40 ...

Did you find Deluxe for $30? Thats pretty darn good!
Old 03-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, audrey,

Only seeing Basic for $30 right now ...Deluxe disc is $40 ...

Did you find Deluxe for $30? Thats pretty darn good!
That’s what it was selling for a month ago. Amazon often has a good price and matches Costco.

Basic was even cheaper. Under $20 maybe.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #17

A few weeks ago I posted a couple of TurboTax Deluxe 2018 complaints related to Section 199A on the "Intuit Community" website. The complaints were rather esoteric - applying only to folks who are patrons of ag coops - so I didn't have much hope that they would be addressed before the 1040 filing deadline. Remarkably, the latest software download fixed both of my complaints.

So, why doesn't Intuit formalize the TurboTax bug reporting channel? Well, perhaps because there are a lot of fruitcakes and nutcases out there (some of them post on ER.org ), and Intuit may not want to have to deal with them. Even formally acknowledging that there is a bug could expose Intuit to a lawsuit if the bug isn't fixed in a timely fashion. So, I guess we're stuck with a one-way communication channel: submit your complaint and hope for the best.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote