Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My cup runneth over with the current TT shenanigans since it seems I would need Home & business (pesky schedule F not in Premier according to Vanguard) so I downloaded Taxact for a princely $21. I haven't actually used it yet since I don't have 1099's and a whole bunch of other stuff yet. Who knows, maybe I'll go back to TT with my tail between my legs or perhaps not...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if this applies only to those who e-file. I can't efile, so I think I am hosed.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #23

They've been subtly doing this for years. I don't buy any of their explanations.

For example, they used to have the employee stock option wizard in Deluxe. Then a few years ago, they promoted that to Premier. You could still do an NQSO entry "by hand", but it just took more hand calculation. I caved and moved to Premier, so I've been there a while.

Pretty soon everything will be in Premier.

Really wondering what they'll eventually do with ACA. People who need ACA help the most are least likely to afford the higher priced versions.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used TurboTax for better than a decade for both personal and business taxes, but I decided I was done with Intuit when the news of the "you gotta buy Premiere to file Schedule D" hit.

I bought H&R Block online over the Christmas break. Its going to be a bit painful entering all the information from prior years returns by hand rather than importing, but once its done its done and ready for future years.

No more Intuit for me.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
I have used TurboTax for better than a decade for both personal and business taxes, but I decided I was done with Intuit when the news of the "you gotta buy Premiere to file Schedule D" hit.

I bought H&R Block online over the Christmas break. Its going to be a bit painful entering all the information from prior years returns by hand rather than importing, but once its done its done and ready for future years.

No more Intuit for me.

This is where I'm at. I bought Premier this year, but I also sent H&R Block a request for a free copy of their software. I'll do my taxes in both this year and if I don't run into any issues with H&R, I'll go with them next year. I'd love to also try TaxAct, but they don't have a mac version.

I also gave up on Quicken a couple of years ago. I hated the forced upgrades, not because of the cost, but because something never worked right afterwards. I went to Moneydance which has worked out great. At this point, I think it'd be hard for me to go back to any of Intuit's products.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Hmm, before considering granting this refund, Intuit wants one's SSN... they did not request it before permitting a purchase, gee, I wonder why not.
I noticed that too and decided not to proceed just yet.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:37 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
What information doesn't H&R Block import from TurboTax? While I haven't done an exhaustive check, everything from last year's TurboTax return seems to have been imported correctly into H&R Block this year.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:57 PM   #28

I purchased Turbo Tax Premier yesterday. Intuit sent me something in email about 4 days ago that offered a discount on various Turbo Tax products that was good for only 5 days (50% off list price). I think I used Turbo Tax Basic the past 3 years (even though I had a big Schedule D). Anyway, with this coupon, I was able to buy TT Premier downloadable version for $48, including tax, from their web site yesterday.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #29

It looks like maybe anyone can avail of this 50% off deal through Monday:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...ewpost=2347289

I think the idea is to move users to the more advanced versions at a cheaper price this year, and then charge more next year . . .
Old 01-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Pretty soon everything will be in Premier.
More likely, I expect in a year or two they will introduce "Premier Plus," the new version that will guide you through the confusing mess of Schedules A and B (which will be removed from all cheaper versions).

In other words, they are so clueless that they don't understand that a simple, small price change would be far more palatable than their current business model, and would also let them keep more customers loyal.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Do note that this won't work if you are going Premiere 2013 to Premiere 2014, only upgrading from Deluxe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Me thinks they outsmarted themselves.
Or not: The rebate is only for people who upgrade from Deluxe to Premier - so that means next year no rebate since you won't be upgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Hmm, before considering granting this refund, Intuit wants one's SSN... they did not request it before permitting a purchase, gee, I wonder why not.
"Taking names" to make sure people don't claim that they didn't realize that they had to buy Premier to get Scheduled D step through, next year.