Join Early Retirement Today

TurboTax apology and refund
Old 01-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #1

TurboTax apology and refund

TurboTax acknowledges they messed up and will refund $25 to some customers unexpectedly forced to upgrade. Their notice is here https://turbotax.intuit.com/modals/goodwill-letter/

Quote:
We are giving $25 back if you purchased TurboTax Deluxe desktop software (CD or download) and filed your 2013 tax return and have to upgrade to TurboTax Premier or Home & Business to file your 2014 return. This will help you move to the right desktop product, while reducing the immediate and unexpected financial impact.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sincerely,

Sasan Goodarzi and the TurboTax Team
General Manager, Intuit TurboTax
I read the above name on the letter as "Susan" and thought "If I were her I wouldn't have included my photo with the message..."

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At some level, I give 'em credit for admitting their mistake.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
At some level, I give 'em credit for admitting their mistake.
Damage control in its finest form. I'm not so forgiving.

They created a problem in allowing inconsistencies in the online and download/CD versions of their software...
Quote:
However, as new online and mobile technologies emerged, our products, and the tax scope and features they included, began to differ...
...then sought to resolve the problem by making their customers pay to upgrade to a more expensive version.

Instead of taking the high road to correct this self-induced problem by adding Schedules C, D, E and F from TurboTax Deluxe to the online version, they chose to remove it from the download/CD version. Not only would this solve the consistency problem, but margins would get a nice boost when more customers moved from Deluxe to Premium.

A very innovative marketing strategy - forcing the customer to pay for their mistake. I would have been far more impressed if they'd apologized with a $30 credit (the actual cost of the upgrade) rather than $25. They are still trying to make the customer pay...

Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll be asking for my $25. I planned on buying Premier anyway because I have a rental this year, but I might as well get my refund. I way overpaid for Premier anyway after hearing that I could have gotten it for nothing through Vanguard.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Typical Intuit. I think their intention was to force customers to upgrade all along. They just tried to "stage" it by changing the online features first.

Although we'll keep using the software as long as our brokerage supports the habit. I really wonder what kind of arrangement Intuit has with Schwab, Vanguard and Fidelity.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Damage control in its finest form. I'm not so forgiving.

They created a problem in allowing inconsistencies in the online and download/CD versions of their software...
...then sought to resolve the problem by making their customers pay to upgrade to a more expensive version.

Instead of taking the high road to correct this self-induced problem by adding Schedules C, D, E and F from TurboTax Deluxe to the online version, they chose to remove it from the download/CD version. Not only would this solve the consistency problem, but margins would get a nice boost when more customers moved from Deluxe to Premium.

A very innovative marketing strategy - forcing the customer to pay for their mistake. I would have been far more impressed if they'd apologized with a $30 credit (the actual cost of the upgrade) rather than $25. They are still trying to make the customer pay...
+1 have been a loyal customer for many years but this made me
Old 01-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I use Yahoo services a lot -- mail, stock historical data, etc. They need to make some money to compete with the other tech firms. I'm OK with giving them a little and so I cut them some slack.

To me the TurboTax product is a great deal.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #9

$25 is nice but there are no instructions for how to claim it.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
They need to make some money to compete with the other tech firms.
Then do it up front and with full disclosure, not by attempting to confuse and mislead.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
$25 is nice but there are no instructions for how to claim it.
You'll have to file first. Then go to this page. Do note that this won't work if you are going Premiere 2013 to Premiere 2014, only upgrading from Deluxe.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/25back
Old 01-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Typical Intuit. I think their intention was to force customers to upgrade all along. They just tried to "stage" it by changing the online features first.
Me thinks they outsmarted themselves.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Me thinks they outsmarted themselves.
Yes, finally! Maybe they won't be quite so cavalier in their tactics in the future.

I was always mad at them for deciding not to continue developing Quicken on the Mac after 2007. But the actual result have turned out better for me. They've continued to keep the 2007 Quicken limping along, even updating for critical issues. And Mac OS users don't get the forced obselence of Windows users - of having to upgrade every couple of years to keep being able to download transaction data from financial institutions.

Their Mac version of Quicken 2015 is so behind Mac Quicken 2007 in functionality that it's useless to me.

Somehow I keep limping along with 2007.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes, finally! Maybe they won't be quite so cavalier in their tactics in the future.

I was always mad at them for deciding not to continue developing Quicken on the Mac after 2007. But the actual result have turned out better for me. They've continued to keep the 2007 Quicken limping along, even updating for critical issues. And Mac OS users don't get the forced obselence of Windows users - of having to upgrade every couple of years to keep being able to download transaction data from financial institutions.

Their Mac version of Quicken 2015 is so behind Mac Quicken 2007 in functionality that it's useless to me.

Somehow I keep limping along with 2007.
You are not missing anything. Their "upgrades" have really just been 3 year licensing fees. Very few changes, especially for desktop users.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
You are not missing anything. Their "upgrades" have really just been 3 year licensing fees. Very few changes, especially for desktop users.
I didn't care about anything new. I just wanted it to continue to run as is. I've run into file corruption a couple of times, and some other issues. New OS support on MacOS has been the real hurdle at times, but somehow eventually things get running again.

An interesting technique for me that has worked on corrupted file is to move it to another Mac computer. Download/run whatever. Then move the file back, and somehow it is no longer corrupted.

This latest - they fixed a bug at the end of 2014 that had stopped me in my tracks in October. Their ability to download transactions was out of date and financial institutions no longer supplied the old format. But, thankfully, Intuit did finally update Mac Quicken 2007. Because no way would I get the Mac version 2015 to run like I'm used to.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #16

Quote:

Quote:
Then do it up front and with full disclosure, not by attempting to confuse and mislead.
I'm not so sure this a problem with consistency and think it was a pricing strategy. Three years ago DD complained she couldn't use free TT online any longer to do her taxes because of schedule D, one small capital gain transaction. Two years ago I sat down with her to do the online version, and sure enough, schedule D online required a different version than the desktop equivalent.

It seems to me they changed (degraded) the functionality of the online version as a market test, to gauge the reaction. There was apparently very little, so they felt this change would meet less resistance.

Just a theory (or WAG), but I fully agree with the need for disclosure.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'm not so sure this a problem with consistency and think it was a pricing strategy. Three years ago DD complained she couldn't use free TT online any longer to do her taxes because of schedule D, one small capital gain transaction. Two years ago I sat down with her to do the online version, and sure enough, schedule D online required a different version than the desktop equivalent.

It seems to me they changed (degraded) the functionality of the online version as a market test, to gauge the reaction. There was apparently very little, so they felt this change would meet less resistance.

Just a theory (or WAG), but I fully agree with the need for disclosure.
They claim that only 20% of their customers are not online. But maybe they don't appreciate WHICH customers those are. We have an aversion to entering ANY of our financial information on-line other than directly to one of our banks or brokerages, or the IRS or US Treasury. So we will NEVER use an on-line product to file our taxes. And maybe many of the folks who needed Schedule D are similar to us. So when they tried to pull the switch on us download version customers, all hell broke loose. Because maybe we are also the types less tolerant of such shenanigans.

I also wonder how many last year (or the year before) simply switched to the download version when they noticed the feature change.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
They claim that only 20% of their customers are not online. But maybe they don't appreciate WHICH customers those are. We have an aversion to entering ANY of our financial information on-line other than directly to one of our banks or brokerages, or the IRS or US Treasury. So we will NEVER use an on-line product to file our taxes.
+1

I think you have it all there.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You'll have to file first. Then go to this page. Do note that this won't work if you are going Premiere 2013 to Premiere 2014, only upgrading from Deluxe.

To get the $25 back part reminds me of the old Turbo Tax days of sending in those rebates from the software boxes
Old 01-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #20

Quote:

Hmm, before considering granting this refund, Intuit wants one's SSN... they did not request it before permitting a purchase, gee, I wonder why not.