Join Early Retirement Today

TurboTax available on Fidelity's site
Old 12-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

TurboTax available on Fidelity's site

I thought I'd start a new thread since I almost missed the posting by "Done" on the TT and Vanguard thread. I've copied and pasted his post here:

The Fidelity offer is online: free TurboTax 2015 Premier to certain premium clients. Not sure exactly what service tier qualifies. To check if you have this offer, log in to Fidelity and go to Guidance & Retirement -> Taxes. Everyone should see an offer "Save on TurboTax" for $20 off, BUT some also get a special offer on the right side "TurboTax Online Premier: Receive a free federal tax return with e-file."

If you have the free offer, click Learn More and then you'll have the option to file Online or Download (click See Products). Premier is free and other versions are discounted. The download includes 5 federal e-files and one state download. State e-file costs $19.99 (free for NY) or you can print and mail the state return.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For Newegg shoppers, they have a promo code for most if not all H&R Block tax software that gives you 50% off through tomorrow. I have used H&R Block and its predecessor, Tax Cut for many years. Last year they were late in solving an issue with the ACA premium tax credit calculation for those self-employed deducting their HI premiums but I've opted to give them a second chance this year.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

I looked online last week but I only get the $20 discount offer, so I'm guessing I don't have enough with Fidelity to qualify.

Amazon dropped their price by $10 today on the Turbotax Deluxe with State product, so it's down to $39.99, and Costco will be discounting the products $10-$15 starting tomorrow, for those of you that don't qualify for the free offer from Fidelity.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
For Newegg shoppers, they have a promo code for most if not all H&R Block tax software that gives you 50% off through tomorrow.
Can't find the codes. Can you post a link?
Old 12-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OK, I guess you have to be signed up for their email deals and the promo code link is provided that way - there's nothing on their website that I can find. Here's the link I got via email. Don't know whether that code will work for others but you could try

Year-End Deals: 50% Off Select H&R Block Tax Software; $399.99 15.6" ASUS 8GB 500GB Notebook
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I looked online last week but I only get the $20 discount offer, so I'm guessing I don't have enough with Fidelity to qualify...
That's all I saw last week too so I'm assuming Fidelity made the change recently. Posts from last year said those with Active Trader or Private Client status (>$1M with Fidelity) qualified for the free download.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
OK, I guess you have to be signed up for their email deals and the promo code link is provided that way - there's nothing on their website that I can find. Here's the link I got via email. Don't know whether that code will work for others but you could try

Year-End Deals: 50% Off Select H&R Block Tax Software; $399.99 15.6" ASUS 8GB 500GB Notebook
Thanks, it worked.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The code is EMCKNNW23.

It may not work on all versions. It does on the premier+state.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

I see "TurboTax® Online Premier
Receive a free federal tax return with e-file." without logging in, though I should qualify. The download option is there too. Pretty strange since only Premier is free and the lesser versions actually cost something.

I'm going to have to stop jumping the gun at Amazon.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
The code is EMCKNNW23.

It may not work on all versions. It does on the premier+state.
It also worked on the deluxe version.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I looked online last week but I only get the $20 discount offer, so I'm guessing I don't have enough with Fidelity to qualify.
If you believe you qualify for the offer and didn't get it, call your rep to make sure you qualify or not before you go out and buy a copy.

I had gotten this offer for the last 5+ years, then last year I didn't qualify, so they gave me a monetary credit so I could buy a retail copy. This year, I was told my account is coded for the free Turbotax offer but I only get the "Save up to $20 offer" link. So it seems like there's still some glitches in the way they're processing the qualification for this offer.

If you are splitting assets across trusts, this adds additional problems for this offer. This seems to be my issue for the last two years and no good work around is available so far, other than giving me a money reimbursement.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Got the Premier version for free. Thanks for the heads up.
tdv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #13

FWIW, I think your Fidelity rep has a role in what you are offered. IOW, it's not an automatic thing.

I have been in their Private Client Group for years, but never got the free TurboTax and didn't know about the offer. Last year I realized (thanks, Dimsumkid!) that I should be included, so I mentioned it to my Fidelity rep.

He simply said "Oh, I didn't realize you used that for your taxes. I'll put you on the list."

So for last year and this year, free TurboTax Premier.

Bottom line: It never hurts to ask.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
I thought I'd start a new thread since I almost missed the posting by "Done" on the TT and Vanguard thread. I've copied and pasted his post here:

The Fidelity offer is online: free TurboTax 2015 Premier to certain premium clients. Not sure exactly what service tier qualifies. To check if you have this offer, log in to Fidelity and go to Guidance & Retirement -> Taxes. Everyone should see an offer "Save on TurboTax" for $20 off, BUT some also get a special offer on the right side "TurboTax Online Premier: Receive a free federal tax return with e-file."

If you have the free offer, click Learn More and then you'll have the option to file Online or Download (click See Products). Premier is free and other versions are discounted. The download includes 5 federal e-files and one state download. State e-file costs $19.99 (free for NY) or you can print and mail the state return.
Thanks

Interesting - this doesn't show up when I log in, but does with DH, even though most of our accounts are joint.

Well, he does the taxes, so just as well.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
FWIW, I think your Fidelity rep has a role in what you are offered. IOW, it's not an automatic thing.

I have been in their Private Client Group for years, but never got the free TurboTax and didn't know about the offer. Last year I realized (thanks, Dimsumkid!) that I should be included, so I mentioned it to my Fidelity rep.

He simply said "Oh, I didn't realize you used that for your taxes. I'll put you on the list."

Shows up for the first time this year for me. I complained last year, so maybe that helped. But I switched to H&R Block last year and was satisfied. Planning to stay with it.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

We hadn't gotten it before, but looked for it last year when Vanguard was offering it for free, and folks on this forum were nice enough to tell us where to look on the Fidelity card and that a download version would be offered even though the language said "free online".

It was appreciated, because we had used Deluxe before, but were faced with needing the more expensive Premiere for 2014 taxes due to the schedule D change.

I would prefer to stick with Deluxe, but if Fidelity is offering Premier for free to their private clients we'll take it! Save $40 (which is what a Deluxe copy would cost us) - definitely.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #17

Just checked this out and I qualify. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #18

Thanks for the info. I just downloaded my free copy but I've never used Turbo tax before. I've been using H&R block Taxcut software for the last 10+ years. I'll play around with turbo tax and see if I like it better.

Edited : I like it already since it allowed me to import my data from H&R block.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

+1

Following your example I contacted Fidelity and asked. They said I qualify, go buy and tell them how much, they'll reimburse. I just ordered.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1

Following your example I contacted Fidelity and asked. They said I qualify, go buy and tell them how much, they'll reimburse. I just ordered.
After uploading a screenshot of my Amazon receipt, the Fidelity rep just confirmed they will reimburse me the $42.24. Nice. Tip of the hat to Dimsumkid and braumeister.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote