Join Early Retirement Today

TurboTax Deluxe (mac/pc disc version) w/State on Sale at Amazon
Old 12-26-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

TurboTax Deluxe (mac/pc disc version) w/State on Sale at Amazon

About that time of year again.

Got my camalcamalcamal alert that TT Deluxe w /state dropped down to $39.99 as usual around this time of year.

I went ahead and snatched up my copy for $39.99 + $4 tax .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #2

I was able to get mine earlier this year when they ran a sale plus they gave you a gift card. Net cost, $39.99. I think that’s about as late w as you can get without stumbling on a really good deal or jumping through hoops. I’d buy now had I not already. If I were going to Costco, I’d check them first, but I like having it before the year ends.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the heads-up. I ordered the disc version, even though I wanted the download version.

I wish companies would discount both versions, but based on past experience, downloaded versions of software are rarely discounted.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you!!!

I ordered mine about 30 seconds ago, right after seeing your post.

― Percy Bysshe Shelley
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thank you!!!

I ordered mine about 30 seconds ago, right after seeing your post.

You're welcome!

Like clockwork, Amazon slashes the price down this time of year .
Old 12-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #6

Thanks for the tip. What I don't understand is why the disc version is $10 more than the download version. Makes no sense. But since I don't have a disc reader on my current laptop, it's cheaper to pay the extra $10 (actually $9 since Amazon gave me a $1 "no-rush" discount) than to buy a disc reader.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Thanks for the tip. What I don't understand is why the disc version is $10 more less than the download version. Makes no sense. But since I don't have a disc reader on my current laptop, it's cheaper to pay the extra $10 (actually $9 since Amazon gave me a $1 "no-rush" discount) than to buy a disc reader.
FIFY. You mean, the download version (still $49.99) which did not drop in price today, is now $10 more than the disk version (which dropped to $39.99 as of today).

I much prefer the disk version even though my new computer doesn't have a CD drive. So I was glad to see the new, lower price for the disk version. Using a CD is not really a tremendous problem these days I guess. Frank has several USB CD drives kicking around his house, so when I asked to borrow one, he gave one to me instead.

― Percy Bysshe Shelley
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

With the new tax laws I don't regret paying $10 extra to buy early so I could do some early estimates, but I'll file this away to wait for the better deal next year.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The in store Costco discount on TT runs 1/2-1/27/2019. IIRC Deluxe will be $39.99 and Premier will be $54.99 - same as Amazon today.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

At least for Amazon, if the pattern holds true, price won't go any lower than the $39.99 before tax day for TT Deluxe w/state on CD. I still have a price track at $29.99 but in the past, the $29.99 price hasn't been triggered.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #11

I bought and downloaded my copy of TT Premier a few weeks ago so I could run my numbers and make any last minute adjustments I may want to make before year end. I ran my taxes but since there are several forms and tables that aren't ready yet, it really didn't do me much good. I have received a couple of online updates in the past week but it's still not enough to tell me what I want to know.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
About that time of year again.

Got my camalcamalcamal alert that TT Deluxe w /state dropped down to $39.99 as usual around this time of year.

I went ahead and snatched up my copy for $39.99 + $4 tax .
Thanks for the heads-up, I just ordered it, and a balaclava for DW's grandnephew.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, I just ordered it, and a balaclava for DW's grandnephew.
You're welcome!

Had to look up what is a balaclava .
Old 12-26-2018, 09:31 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the reminder! Ordered mine!
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:01 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I bought and downloaded my copy of TT Premier a few weeks ago so I could run my numbers and make any last minute adjustments I may want to make before year end. I ran my taxes but since there are several forms and tables that aren't ready yet, it really didn't do me much good. I have received a couple of online updates in the past week but it's still not enough to tell me what I want to know.

I ran into the same thing. Picked up TT Deluxe at BestBuy a couple weeks ago for $49 because I wanted to run a proforma to help dial-in my EOY Roth conversion. Found that a couple of schedules weren't available yet and my state wouldn't download because the state didn't have their end figured out.

So I ended up using the old-timey paper form method. Could have waited and picked up TT after the prices began to drop. Oh well, one of the nice things about FI is that when I flub up and pay a bit too much, I'm able to remind myself that something which-at one time-would have really torqued me off, can now be thought of as just a minor irritation.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The download version is $39.99 today with a $10 Amazon gift card, so it looks like a net $29.99. You just can't use the gift card for the TT purchase.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
The download version is $39.99 today with a $10 Amazon gift card, so it looks like a net $29.99. You just can't use the gift card for the TT purchase.
+1

Just bought and downloaded mine.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=ShokWaveRider;2163864]I found Home & Business for $22.98. Here:

That site is based in Bulgaria and has a trust value of zero from Scamadviser.com. If you bought from there it is almost certainly a bootleg copy.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #19

Quote:

+1 just got mine. I looked on the turbotax website and the prices were all higher than amazon, and no gift card

"We can cannot compel others to do our will" Norman Goldman
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:40 PM   #20

Quote:

Thanks!

Now I need to return the disc version I bought a couple of days ago. It would have been nice if they discounted both versions at the same time, but now I know that next year I should wait a bit longer.