Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

TurboTax Filing Policy - News
Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[Freebird - I merged your initial posts on this subject into your new TurboTax thread to prevent confusion and duplication.

REWahoo]
thank you. I easily get confused when I duplicate myself.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The following is quoted directly from their email to existing customers:
"TurboTax is dedicated to helping you get the most for your money. That is why we are now offering 5 FREE federal e-files and unlimited federal returns. It's just another way TurboTax can make your 2008 taxes easier than ever! "

The customer has spoken!
They should have done this BEFORE some of their existing customers already bought Tax Cut or other software. It's too late for them to get me back, at least this year.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
They should have done this BEFORE some of their existing customers already bought Tax Cut or other software. It's too late for them to get me back, at least this year.
I agree, it was a very poor business decision. I'll bet you are not alone and they lost a fair number of customers over this issue.
Somebody won't be promoted to VP this year.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I thought this merited a new thread...quoting myself...

Speaking of TurboTax, I received an email from them yesterday indicating that they will allow up to 5 free e-file for federal.
I searched their site regarding the "pay extra for printing" issue for non e-filers.

UPDATE : As of 12/12/08, the pay-to-print restriction has been lifted. See
http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/buying-and-billing/billing-and-charges/6156.html

The following is quoted directly from their email to existing customers:
"TurboTax is dedicated to helping you get the most for your money. That is why we are now offering 5 FREE federal e-files and unlimited federal returns. It's just another way TurboTax can make your 2008 taxes easier than ever! "

The customer has spoken!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Glad to hear this. I haven't purchased anything so all is fine here. Last year, there were some free downloads to the program so it was free all together. I wonder if something will pop up this year?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dawg, there is a free basic download available now on the TurboTax.com website. You still have to pay for state returns of course, and probably also to efile.

I've used TaxCut basic for several years and they've consistently released a free download the third week of February.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Dawg, there is a free basic download available now on the TurboTax.com website. You still have to pay for state returns of course, and probably also to efile.
Where? I looked for it and I don't see it. The Buy/Download link shows Basic for $29.95.
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post
Where? I looked for it and I don't see it. The Buy/Download link shows Basic for $29.95.
TurboTax® Tax Preparation Software, FREE Tax Filing, Efile Taxes, Income Tax Returns

The freebie download says for "1040EZ and Simple Returns", whatever that means. That was the basic package I was referring to in my post.

TurboTax Deluxe is $29.95.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
TurboTax® Tax Preparation Software, FREE Tax Filing, Efile Taxes, Income Tax Returns

The freebie download says for "1040EZ and Simple Returns", whatever that means.
I think it means no schedule C,D or E.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

The freebie download says for "1040EZ and Simple Returns", whatever that means. That was the basic package I was referring to in my post.

TurboTax Deluxe is $29.95.
That's an online service, not downloadable software.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post
That's an online service, not downloadable software.
Ooops, sorry.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Last year I was able to get a free download of Turbo Deluxe off of Fatwallet. There is some talk about it there, but looks like nothing available yet. Might not happen this year but I'm in no hurry anyway. I've got a k-1 statement that I won't get until March anyway. Who knows, a free download may be available by then.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think the only reason they did it was in response to the loss of business. They never would have done it BEFORE existing customer started departing. Im sure they have a good profile of sales vs. time and they probably saw what was happening and reacted. I bet some marketing guru convinced management that "our customers will remain loyal to us" and they found out different. I give them credit for quickly changing this policy which is the only reason I will stay with TT.....and THANKS to YOU and others like you that forced thier hand!
Old 01-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

On a related subject: has anyone given TaxAct a test drive in the last few days? I downloaded it ($20 for federal + one state) and tried it out last night. I find it user-friendly enough that I am considering switching to it from TurboTax/TaxCut.

The only thing that worries me is that TaxAct shows I have to pay the AMT in the 2008 tax year. All I did was enter into it the same income and deductions info as last year (2007 TY), to get some numbers in the system. TaxAct says that the final version to be released in Jan 2009 will have the latest update re the AMT, but aren't we in 1/2009 already? It'd be nice if they had a specific date.

I also re-entered the same income/deductions info into a free copy of TurboTax which I received in the mail (but the "Print" function is disabled until I pay), and TurboTax does not show me as having to pay the AMT. We did not have to pay the AMT in TY 2007. Frankly, I'd be very surprised, and upset, if we were hit by the AMT in TY 2008. We are just an average two-earner couple with average salaries, plus one kid, with the usual deductions for mortgage, property tax, charitable donations, etc.

Thanks for any advice or info.
bdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:14 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I am very curious to see people's opinions of TurboTax vs Taxact vs Taxcut, or any other tax prep software out there.
We certainly don't want to duplicate the blogs or tech support info found at each developer's site...but let's hear the good, the bad and the ugly as we all do our 2008 tax prep...
Old 01-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #16

Anyone know if FIDO will offer TurboTax for free this year?
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Can anyone report on TaxAct *online* versus the TaxAct *download*?

I've used the online version for a few years, it's OK, but if I want to "what-if" a number (say, change a charitable deduction to see what happens), I almost always need to go through 20 questions to get to that number (any miles driven? was this cash? any non-cash > $500?, blah, blah, blah). I already answered those once, I just want to change the value that is there.

Does the download version perform better in this regard?

-TIA- ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am very curious to see people's opinions of TurboTax vs Taxact vs Taxcut, or any other tax prep software out there.
We certainly don't want to duplicate the blogs or tech support info found at each developer's site...but let's hear the good, the bad and the ugly as we all do our 2008 tax prep...
I did TurboTax and TaxCut last year. They were about the same to me. Google "taxcut turbotax side by side" if you are interested in details. I will do TaxAct this year.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Does the download version perform better in this regard?
I am a new user of the download version of TaxAct, and I find that I can access most input screens with one or two clicks. So it sounds like the download version is a bit better than the online version in that regard.

BTW, TaxAct just released their 1.0 version today. The previous one was v0.9. After updating to the latest version, I find that the AMT I was supposed to pay went away (see my earlier post, yesterday). What a relief!
bdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #20

My sense was that last year's TurboTax was much better than previous years in functionality and lack of bugs. I think TaxAct's competition is helping and that a switch is not needed (yet).
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote