Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just downloaded TurboTax Deluxe with state for FREE, saving $50. Thanks Vanguard!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've used TT at VG for the past few years, although it costs me some $23 (with tax). TT has worked fine, I guess, as I haven't compared the results with an actual living tax preparer. This year, I'll again get the TT results, but will also use FreeTaxUSA and compare the results. Supposedly FTUSA is completely free (I don't file any state tax returns), and it looks like this year I am eligible--having an AGI of under $57K. Anybody have any experience with FTUSA?
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #23

With the last minute tax deal from Congress, don't forget to get latest updates for TT....or whatever tax software you use.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #24

Not to hijack the thread, but Fido Private Clients can get any version of Turbo Tax refunded by their Private Client AE. I scanned the receipt and sent to my AE and a few days later the funds were in my cash account. Other Fido users can get discounts (generally about 25% off list) but like others have commented Costco and others usually beat them during their Jan promos
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #25

I'm thinking about using https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/fff/html/FED.htm
this year and you can e-file for free as well. I hate paying a dime to have my taxes prepared or to e-file. Not bragging but have been doing my own taxes since the early seventies and have never paid a dime to anyone to prepare or e-file. I am a cheap bastard too. I need the money too bad for green fees not to mention I'm jonesing for some new Callaway fairway woods.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
With the last minute tax deal from Congress, don't forget to get latest updates for TT....or whatever tax software you use.
+1 But actually, TT won't let you file electronically unless you have the latest updates.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but Fido Private Clients can get any version of Turbo Tax refunded by their Private Client AE. I scanned the receipt and sent to my AE and a few days later the funds were in my cash account. Other Fido users can get discounts (generally about 25% off list) but like others have commented Costco and others usually beat them during their Jan promos
Nwsteve
Apparently turbotax is free for Fidelity customers, not limited to Private Client. Here's a thread I just started on it: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ier-64912.html
Old 02-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #28

After reading the TT boxes for the different versions I am a little confused. Wife is on SS with a couple of very small pensions and I just retired. We have investments in mutual funds in Vanguard and TRPrice (taxable, 403b, tIRA, and rothIRA) and stocks as well as bank accounts that give interest. The description on the TT boxes make me think I need the Premier version even though we are in the 15% tax bracket. Which version do I need? Would it be best to get the CD version instead of downloading?

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I have Premier but I think Basic would probably do for you (or even for me for that matter). I have used the download for years and no problems since you can reload the software at will if you need to as a result of a hard drive failure, change in computers or whatever.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I have Premier but I think Basic would probably do for you (or even for me for that matter). I have used the download for years and no problems since you can reload the software at will if you need to as a result of a hard drive failure, change in computers or whatever.

+1
Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I used the free (Flagship) edition and had a problem with the Vanguard imported piece (1099DIv etc). I had to delete all of the VG imports and reenter them manually. Not sure if it was a problem with the imported data or the TT online edition, but it took me a while to figure it out.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I used the free (Flagship) edition and had a problem with the Vanguard imported piece (1099DIv etc). I had to delete all of the VG imports and reenter them manually. Not sure if it was a problem with the imported data or the TT online edition, but it took me a while to figure it out.
I have the installed version of TT and had the same, or similar, issue. Ended up typing them in.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I had the same problem. You guys were not alone! I "Googled" the error and discovered that it is a glitch in TT's programming. I kind of figured that since I looked at the form after downloading my data from Vanguard. There were a lot of blank lines above and below the entries which caused the errors.

This should help all you other TurboTax victims:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/15...the-same-error
Old 02-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

What version of TT do you all use ? I can't understand the differences.

I'm guessing Premier is fine. Wife has a consulting business/ 1099 income - that doesn't necessarily require "Home and Business", does it ?

I dread every year trying to remember which TT I need and sorting through all the "deals"....

Thanks !!!
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post

I'm guessing Premier is fine. Wife has a consulting business/ 1099 income - that doesn't necessarily require "Home and Business", does it ?

I dread every year trying to remember which TT I need and sorting through all the "deals"....

Thanks !!!
I use TT Deluxe because it's free from Vanguard. I assume you've seen this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CompChartLarge._V165198381_.jpg (75.1 KB, 18 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1

There is a point, for me, at which it suggests an update (costing money) which I decline.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post

Thanks !!!
No matter what version of TT you use to begin your return (unless you are using the absolute top-of-the-line). TT will attempt to upsell many times as you do your return.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Thanks for chart. TT Deluxe still handles Schedule C -so I don't think "Home and Business" is an absolute requirement for someone with their own business.

Thanks !
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
No matter what version of TT you use to begin your return (unless you are using the absolute top-of-the-line). TT will attempt to upsell many times as you do your return.
I hate this w/ TT. I use deluxe but have some employee stock option and rsu transactions that I have to enter and its constantly recommending premier to me, even though I don't need it.
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I had the same problem. You guys were not alone! I "Googled" the error and discovered that it is a glitch in TT's programming. I kind of figured that since I looked at the form after downloading my data from Vanguard. There were a lot of blank lines above and below the entries which caused the errors.

This should help all you other TurboTax victims:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/15...the-same-error
I'm not computer savy and I'm lucky to be able to turn it on and get to the forum.

I read from the link above that the problem might be resolved around the 7th of this month. I would like to download a properly working program. If I had to try and make changes I would probably give up and do what I have been doing for the last few years and ask volunteers from AARP to do my taxes.

Does anyone know if the problem has been corrected?

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote