Join Early Retirement Today
Turbotax now offering free upgrade
Old 01-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Turbotax now offering free upgrade

I have been a turbotax advantage member for many years. That simply means that I have automatic purchase setup so I get it when it is released.

This email was sent to me as advantage member today:

You may have heard about the changes we made to our desktop products, both the CD and download versions, including removing support for Schedules C, D, E and F from TurboTax Deluxe. These tax forms are required to report business income, investment and stock sales, and rental property income.

Because you are a loyal TurboTax Advantage member, if while preparing your return, your tax situation requires any of the forms listed above, you will automatically be upgraded for free into the product that's right for you.

We appreciate your continued confidence in TurboTax. If you haven't downloaded your product, sign in and get it today.

What a mess they created and are dealing with....

FIREd at 46, 8/31/11
REattempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
They did it to themselves and people are jumping ship in droves, just take a look at all the blowback they got on Amazon for the Deluxe version. Even had to publicly apologize for the 'lack of communication' about it.

I've already switched to H&R Block Deluxe+State, got a deal for the CD version off of Slickdeals for $10+tax. Got bait and switched by Turbotax Online for a $30 upgrade fee last year to do Schedule C & D and was going to bail on them this year no matter what.

GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by REattempt View Post
What a mess they created and are dealing with....
And dealing with poorly. I think there will be some heads rolling atTurboTax soon.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
If I don't get a free version of TurboTax from Vanguard that includes Sched C, D & E and electronic filing next year or thereafter (I did get Premier free this year finally), I will most likely switch to a competitors product, even though I've used TT exclusively for more than 10 years.

It'll be very interesting to see what Intuit does next year...
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Intuit should have just increased the price of their versions instead of the old switcharoo with the big surprise to deluxe users. IMO, come tax time, the last thing a filer wants is the surprise and delay, even more than a higher cost.
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
Any tax product calling itself "Deluxe" which doesn't have Schedule D included isn't very "Deluxe" in my opinion. That should just be a given.
Wild Bill shoulda taken more out of his IRA when he could have. . . .
dtbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:47 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wait until the final numbers are in. I bet that Intuit will come out on top. The other products are terrible by comparison that even if a small portion of their customer base leaves, a large portion of that portion will be back the next year, when they don't have to admit it in a discussion forum. And moreover, I bet those that come back will feel emboldened by giving Intuit less money, having switched from the CD/downloadable product to the online product, even though that is part of Intuit's objectives, since they make more profit on the online product than on the CD/downloadable product.

Just wait and see.

bUU is offline   Reply With Quote