Join Early Retirement Today

TurboTax Rounding Errors?
Old 02-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

TurboTax Rounding Errors?

I’ve been using OLT.com the last few years to submit my taxes but use TurboTax online to verify the numbers. Didn't notice this in previous years but TurboTax does something unusual (IMO) when rounding off numbers provided on the ACA subsidy form 1095-A that it uses on IRS form 8962 to determine your premium tax credit. I imported my 1095-A form into TurboTax, the form lists the monthly cost (to the cent) and the annual totals. Instead of pulling the annual totals directly off the 1095-A form it appears TurboTax rounds each monthly number up/down then adds up the months to come up with their annual totals. Doesn’t make much sense to me since the annual totals are already on form 1095A. I can see rounding off the annual totals but the way they calculate it can result in up to a ~$6 difference from the actual numbers for each column. I was on the rounding up side so it cost me but others on the round down side might save a few dollars. OLT.com pulls the annual totals directly from form 1095-A for their calculations.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #2

I haven't seen the online version, but if memory serves the regular disc version has option to just input the total for the year vs monthly, provided that all months are the same values.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I haven't seen the online version, but if memory serves the regular disc version has option to just input the total for the year vs monthly, provided that all months are the same values.
The online version gave the option to input the first month then copy those values to the other months, didn't see an option to just put in the annual totals but I'll take another look. I tried both the manual 1095-A entry and importing the 1095-A PDF version, got the same rounding off issues with both.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #4

TT really likes to round to whole dollars everywhere. It's an option allowed by the IRS, so the TT calculations should be acceptable if not precise.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #5

A few years ago I used TurboTax and HR Block side by side to compare them.

It was interesting to notice that they used different rounding conventions, and the results differed by a few bucks.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A few years ago I used TurboTax and HR Block side by side to compare them.

It was interesting to notice that they used different rounding conventions, and the results differed by a few bucks.
Yea, it's not a big dollar issue, just thought it strange they would go through the monthly rounding calculation to determine the annual total when the annual totals are already on the 1095-A form, no need to do that calculation and introduce error.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
The online version gave the option to input the first month then copy those values to the other months, didn't see an option to just put in the annual totals but I'll take another look. I tried both the manual 1095-A entry and importing the 1095-A PDF version, got the same rounding off issues with both.
Yeah, my bad. It's the HR Block that gives option to input annual total.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The last time I used TT it rounded incorrectly according to the IRS and the IRS reduced a refund accordingly.

I learned at the time that the IRS expected numbers to be unrounded until being placed on a tax form or something like that. This is analogous to what @zinger noticed: The sum of the unrounded months should be used, then rounded, as opposed to the rounded months being summed.

https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pub17/...m#TXMP5d034bfb has this:
Quote:
If you have to add two or more amounts to figure the amount to enter on a line, include cents when adding the amounts and round off only the total.
It might be worth pointing this out to Intuit who makes TurboTax.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:55 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am seeing what I think is a rounding error in TT for my 2018 taxes. It's different than what the OP described - if I should open a new thread, please let me know.

The error is in our withholding on 1040 line 16 being $1 too high. MFJ and Fed withholding on our W-2s only - none on 1099s. Here are the last few digits:
Mine: 97.24
Spouse: 18.14
1040 line 16: 116.00

I even went back and put in zeros for the withholding cents, and the total is still 116. I've looked several times to find $1 withholding on a 1099, but I don't see any.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Tanks!
lindalou is offline   Reply With Quote