Turning 40 and on the fence - any advice?

follow-up

Well, it's been a while since my last post, so I figured I'll close the loop on my situation. It turns out I have accepted the 300k job. Actually, I was offered another job at same salary level too, which was nice, but it would have been a stuffier environment. So, the plan is i will stick to the new job for a couple years or until I burn out AGAIN. And when my partner retires, we'll sell the Westchester house, leave New York, and ride off into the sunset to start my new life as a teacher, or move to Latin America, or both. But here's what I'll be doing financially in the meantime: 1) I'm going to keep my 5k per month "paycheck" coming from my portfolio (my advisor says it's entirely covered by interest and dividends, so my base portfolio can keep growing with the market, hopefully. 2) This 5k, plus my partner's salary, will cover all of our expenses, plus now that I am working for Megacorp I will have an expense account. This will be a great way to test if 60k really is enough to meet our needs as one of you suggested. 3) My entire paycheck will be direct deposited into my portfolio - about 10-11k per month after taxes - and will be invested according to the conservative asset allocation my advisor has set up for me, which is 60% equities. 4) If I last three years working, that's another 350k added to the retirement portfolio, plus whatever gains. I'm feeling really good about this, and I also think going back to the work life will do me good emotionally for a little while until I'm really 100% ready for a life change.

Thanks for all your words of support.

I'm glad to hear things worked out so well for you, Midlifeguy. It sounds like a great plan.

Back
Top Bottom