Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Target Retirement 2015 since jan 2006. After all these years finally becoming a better Boglehead - stay the course, hurry up just stand there, revision to the mean, close your eyes and let those Vanguard computers rebalance their little electrons out.

Question to Uncle Mick, or anyone else in a "Target xxxx" fund. What are you planning to do with those funds when the target year is reached?

omni

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a small % going into one of these Target xxxx funds. It will be liquidated and will go toward an annuity, long term treasury, or dividend stock depending on what is most advantageous at that time. If we had a decent pension, the annuity would not be an option.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Question to Uncle Mick, or anyone else in a "Target xxxx" fund. What are you planning to do with those funds when the target year is reached?

omni
I don't own one, but the target date determines the asset allocation; i.e. 2015 would be fewer stocks and more bonds than, say, 2040. Or, as Vanguard puts it: "The Fund will gradually shift its emphasis from more aggressive investments to more conservative ones based on its target date." Not sure if/when that reaches steady state. Guess it would have to at some point. Hard to have more than 100% bonds...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've had a small amount (IRA) in the vanguard target plans for many years.
They move percentages of stocks and bonds very slowly. I have my money in the 2005 fund (don't think it is available now). It still has a higher percent of stocks than the next one up, which is income fund I think.
The thing to do is pick the fund you want based on the % of stocks, bonds and your risk tolerance. Don't pay any attention (or very little) to the year/date numbers. I learned that lesson the hard way.
Steve
Old 04-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

omni
Nothing. Expect to spend the money as needed.

However since I'm in 2015 and will be 70 1/2 by then - guess who shall 'make me an offer I can't refuse' RMD wise?

heh heh heh - ok so I lied about my age - targetly speaking. But I will let the asset mix vary and RMD take effect on full auto. Note that I have SS and pension as a 40% of 'average year' expenditure as a back stop.