U.S. millionaires say $7 million not enough to be rich

Whilst you may consider watches to be a 'status symbol', I just wear one because I always have... Ha mentioned a number of pros for wearing a wrist-watch, all of which I agree with.... IMHO it's just easier to tell the time with in the main.

But, whatever gets you through the night :greetings10:

Cheers - Mick
Mike is right. It doesn't make sense to describe watches in general as status symbols since most people wear pedestrian watches with no such value. Like Mike I like to have a watch on my wrist but have never spent significant money on them. My current is a Coleman - it doesn't look like a stove but it is pretty utilitarian. Why do people with cell phones still keep clocks on the wall? It isn't because they may loose a charge.

Why does anyone still wear a watch when we all carry cell phones everywhere that serve the same purpose?

I was referring to the hugely expensive status watches common in financial circles in the Holy City of Mammon (NYC). Patek Phillipe, Rolex, Breitling, Cartier, etc. I think they are used as a status symbol because most people here take the train or cabs so they cannot flaunt a luxury car.

I wear a Casio that is shock proof, water proof, solar powered and permanently sealed. It resets itself every night according to an atomic clock signal. All for $100. I wear a watch partly because of habit but also because I frequently do not wish to be tethered to an electronic leash.

Hamlet said:
Why does anyone still wear a watch when we all carry cell phones everywhere that serve the same purpose?

Let's see. I could either:

(1) locate my purse
(2) pick it up
(3) un-snap the cell phone pocket
(4) fumble around for my cell phone until I find it
(5) pull it out
(6) turn it around a few times until the time indicator is right side up
(7) squint at the tiny numbers and read off the time
(8) put the cell phone back in the pocket
(9) re-snap the cell phone pocket
(10) put the purse back where it was

OR... I could

(1) glance at my wrist without stopping whatever I am doing, and immediately know the exact time to the second, day of the week, and date

I wear a cheap Timex and they last a long time.The cost for me to wear such a watch for its lifespan has been about $0.25/month.

When I see someone without a watch, I think, "That guy has never had to sign in to work on time, or do anything else for a living." Maybe that's not correct, but that is what I think when I see that.

Fair enough.

My cell phone is basically always in my pocket, so for me wearing a watch is pretty much like wearing both a belt and suspenders.

It really wasn't about the cost.

It is along the same line as not understanding why people have land lines anymore. I never bothered to get one when I moved into my house 6 years ago and I've never wished I had one.

Not having to deal with Qwest in any way is priceless.

Now if I could just figure out a way to get rid of Comcast.

Let's see. I could either:

(1) locate my purse
(2) pick it up
(3) un-snap the cell phone pocket
(4) fumble around for my cell phone until I find it
(5) pull it out
(6) turn it around a few times until the time indicator is right side up
(7) squint at the tiny numbers and read off the time
(8) put the cell phone back in the pocket
(9) re-snap the cell phone pocket
(10) put the purse back where it was

OR... I could

(1) glance at my wrist without stopping whatever I am doing, and immediately know the exact time to the second, day of the week, and date

I wear a cheap Timex and they last a long time.The cost for me to wear such a watch for its lifespan has been about $0.25/month.

When I see someone without a watch, I think, "That guy has never had to sign in to work on time, or do anything else for a living." Maybe that's not correct, but that is what I think when I see that.

My cell phone is basically always in my pocket, so for me wearing a watch is pretty much like wearing both a belt and suspenders.
Once upon a time men had pocket watches, which were always in their pockets- usually a special pocket for that purpose, which survives to this day in jeans and a few other styles of pants. This instrument had a big attractive and highly readable dial, and was often a work of art.

Then this amazing new invention came along- a watch that could be worn on the wrist! More or less ran pocket watches out of the market, except for a few old traditionalists. And the revolutionary improvement over a pocket watch?

You didn't have to reach into your pocket to know the time!

And of course women have even more reason to prefer a wrist watch. Many skirts and dresses and even slacks have no pockets, or the pockets are so small as to make dropping cell phone a risk. And even with jeans- how easy is it for a woman to dig into her jeans pocket to get a phone out when sometimes she can hardly get her hand into her pocket the jeans are so tight? And how many woman want to create a phone bulge in place of the sleek line of their dress? So it goes into a purse. Really a handy place to keep a time piece. :)

Ha

Back
Top Bottom